WP34s 20b power-on delay
02-13-2015, 07:08 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2015 07:54 AM by MarkHaysHarris777.)
WP34s 20b power-on delay
Greetings, I am noticing a 1-2 second power-on delay, with my 20b unit (34S 3.3T 3742) after sitting some time. If the unit has only been 'off' for a short time the power-on is instantaneous. If it has been 'off' for half an hour or more then 1-2 sec power up delay. Has anyone else noticed this. This occurs regardless of whether the proc is running 'fast' | 'slow'; also don't notice anything else amiss. Of course it takes 'days' to put this thing through full testing; but all else seems ok.

TIA

marcus

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2015, 07:17 AM
RE: WP34s 20b power-on delay
I noticed the same thing on my 30b WP 34S.
Marcus is the person for this one.

- Pauli
02-13-2015, 09:36 AM
Hello,

I observed this with my 30b WP34s too. After this occurs the settings of
DATE and TIME are reset. I have to set these values new.

Walter
02-13-2015, 10:08 AM
I am wondering if it has to do with unit power and whether the proc shifts into 'slow' speed on power-up?

(see my other post Power Proc-Speed Performance)

marcus

Kind regards,
marcus
02-13-2015, 06:37 PM
(02-13-2015 10:08 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  I am wondering if it has to do with unit power and whether the proc shifts into 'slow' speed on power-up?

The reason must be a total loss of power. The delay is caused by the boot up sequence when it sets up the quartz oscillator and waits for it to stabilize. In normal operation this step is not needed because the oscillator keeps running even in deep sleep mode.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
02-13-2015, 07:36 PM
(02-13-2015 06:37 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  
(02-13-2015 10:08 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  I am wondering if it has to do with unit power and whether the proc shifts into 'slow' speed on power-up?

The reason must be a total loss of power. The delay is caused by the boot up sequence when it sets up the quartz oscillator and waits for it to stabilize. In normal operation this step is not needed because the oscillator keeps running even in deep sleep mode.

Thanks, again Marcus. After I replaced the coin cells and reset date & time the power-on delay has vaporized. whoohoo

Its nice to understand what's going on, and its nice to have it corrected too. The lesson in the last couple of power posts is that these units draw so little current (operate at such low mW normally) that the voltage drop read by the 'BATT' function really can't be taken as a valid readout of the unit's ability to function under load with that set of coin cells. In other words, the real voltage must be considered under load only.

Kind regards,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)