SR Program in PPC ROM MOD File
02-12-2015, 11:09 PM
SR Program in PPC ROM MOD File
I recently installed the PPC ROM .MOD file from TOS into the go41cx emulator on Android (highly recommended btw) and along with the traditional PPC ROM contents, there is also a program, SR, which is full of synthetic instructions.

Bill Wickes green book taught me to never run synthetic programs without some idea of what arguments they expect and what they do, so rather than trash my setup I figured I would ask here as someone surely must know what it is and/or where docs may be found.

Thanks in advance.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2015, 12:33 AM
RE: SR Program in PPC ROM MOD File
I think that's Shorten Return Stack.

HP-41C SR/LR/UD/HD (Stand Alone)
HP-41C Routine Listing of 8K PPC Custom ROM SR
PPC ROM Pocket Guides See p.27 of the 1985 edition.
02-13-2015, 03:48 AM
(02-13-2015 12:33 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I think that's Shorten Return Stack.

HP-41C SR/LR/UD/HD (Stand Alone)
HP-41C Routine Listing of 8K PPC Custom ROM SR
PPC ROM Pocket Guides See p.27 of the 1985 edition.

Thanks for your typically thorough demo of the power of Google search Dave!

SR was indeed a part of the normal PPC ROM, one of the about 100 functions that comprised the ROM made by PPC. This SR can be seen by doing a normal CAT2 and stepping thru the individual programs.

In the PPC .MOD file in question, the normal PPC ROM (installed in Port-1 in my config) has the PPC ROM installed in Page 8, and "SR" in Page 9, seemingly another entire ROM image.

Perhaps there was a bug in the process of assembling the ROM, and the glitch caused a partial "ghost"?

Anyone?

--Bob Prosperi
02-13-2015, 07:56 AM
(02-13-2015 03:48 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  SR was indeed a part of the normal PPC ROM, one of the about 100 functions that comprised the ROM made by PPC. This SR can be seen by doing a normal CAT2 and stepping thru the individual programs.

In the PPC .MOD file in question, the normal PPC ROM (installed in Port-1 in my config) has the PPC ROM installed in Page 8, and "SR" in Page 9, seemingly another entire ROM image.

Perhaps there was a bug in the process of assembling the ROM, and the glitch caused a partial "ghost"?

Anyone?

SR is the first function in the upper page of the PPC module (an 8k footprint), so I think what you're seeing is the normal behavior of the standard CAT 2 function in the CX - always showing said function.

The CCD-style CAT 2 function will not show it, as it assumes all "section headers" must have the hyphen char in the function name.

Cheers,
'AM
02-13-2015, 12:48 PM
(02-13-2015 07:56 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  SR is the first function in the upper page of the PPC module (an 8k footprint), so I think what you're seeing is the normal behavior of the standard CAT 2 function in the CX - always showing said function.

The CCD-style CAT 2 function will not show it, as it assumes all "section headers" must have the hyphen char in the function name.

Cheers,
'AM

I can see SR within the (CCD) CAT2 listing of the lower page of PPC programs (C PPC 1981), but then it also shows SR again, as if it were another ROM (I guess due to it being the first in the upper page). Using CCD (AMC OS/X-4) CAT2, I can also press Enter on that 'rom' entry and then see all the remaining programs.

I also confirmed this behavior is NOT seen with normal CAT2.

It appears the CCD CAT2 listing of the lower page displays both lower and upper page contents (as it should), but it then also displays the upper page contents again. So maybe it's an issue in the CCD OS/X CAT2?

Anyhow, thanks to all for helping to find the answers.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)