Thread sorting seems buggy ?
12-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Thread sorting seems buggy ?
I tried to sort the threads in the HP Prime Library subforum and cannot seem to get the threads to sort properly in descending order (presumably newest on top). I see thread #31 placed above thread #40, for example.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2013, 06:43 PM
RE: Thread sorting seems buggy ?
I tried sorting both by last post, and creation time in descending order and in both cases thread 40 was above thread 31. Are you pressing Go after making your selections?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2013, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2013 12:54 AM by Han.)
(12-12-2013 06:43 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  I tried sorting both by last post, and creation time in descending order and in both cases thread 40 was above thread 31. Are you pressing Go after making your selections?

Those work properly. (Pressing GO wasn't necessary for me as it changed immediately after switching.) However, I was referring to sorting by the "Thread" category (asc/desc) and I was not seeing how it is supposed to work earlier. My guess was that the thread number was the criteria for the sort, but it looks like it is sorting by alphabetical order according to thread titles.

So all is well.

Actually, is there really a good reason to have sort by "Thread" (title) as the default? Would it not make more sense to default to creation date (i.e. newest on top) or more recent response?

12-13-2013, 05:18 PM
How to make the forum to remember the sort option I want ?

Sorting by tittle is the worst possible choice for default.

Sorting by creation date or last answer and descending would be by fas better IMO

Patrice
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Albert Einstein
12-13-2013, 05:56 PM
(12-13-2013 05:18 PM)patrice Wrote:  How to make the forum to remember the sort option I want ?

Sorting by tittle is the worst possible choice for default.

Sorting by creation date or last answer and descending would be by fas better IMO

Actually, after some thought, it actually makes more sense for the library to default to alphabetical as the the tile is presumably the name of the software package. It appears that all other forums, though, are sorted by date by default. Right now, because there are only a few entries, it may seem more advantageous to sort by date, but once the library has many more entries, it would not be a good default sort (who's going to remember a software package based on release date?).

12-13-2013, 06:22 PM
sorting libraries by date is interesting to see what is new.
To search something, there is a search system which should be more efficient than resorting on tittle only.
Ex in prime library,
If you look for fractal in tittle, you will find my post even with hundred of posts.
If you look for Lindenmayer you are not done

Patrice
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Albert Einstein
12-15-2013, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 07:53 PM by Dave Hicks.)
(12-13-2013 05:56 PM)Han Wrote:  Actually, after some thought, it actually makes more sense for the library to default to alphabetical as the the tile is presumably the name of the software package. It appears that all other forums, though, are sorted by date by default.

Yes the theory was that a library should be be sorted more like a physical library and even the old manually edited and not entirely consistent old software libraries were not certainly sorted by post date.

It could be changed to post date if that's what people want, but I assume most library users go in looking for something specific whereas most forum users are regulars returning to see what's up, so that's why these different areas are different for now.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)