Filing of Replies; Suggestion
01-04-2014, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 08:56 AM by walter b.)
Filing of Replies; Suggestion
Watching the new fora for a while, there seem to be people who are able to reply to the post they want to - and others who can't. IMHO, the root cause is the function called "New Reply". Pressing this button causes a post filed as response to the OP which (often) is not what the user wanted.

Suggestion:
Change that button to "Reply". File the response as reply to the post the user was looking at when (s)he was pressing said button.

That's all. Thanks in advance for consideration.

d:-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2014, 10:40 AM
RE: Filing of Replies; Suggestion
(01-04-2014 07:50 AM)walter b Wrote:  there seem to be people who are able to reply to the post they want to - and others who can't.
How do you know? You should start a poll:
  • I'm clever and know the difference between QUOTE and NEW REPLY. Smile
  • I'm dumb and can't tell them apart. Huh
Quote:Suggestion:
Change that button to "Reply". File the response as reply to the post the user was looking at when (s)he was pressing said button.
No thanks. Then you have to scroll up to the top if you want to reply to the original post. Sad
With the current solution you can do both. Feel free to remove the quoted contents if that bothers you.

Cheers
Thomas
01-05-2014, 04:12 AM
(01-04-2014 10:40 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  
(01-04-2014 07:50 AM)walter b Wrote:  there seem to be people who are able to reply to the post they want to - and others who can't.

How do you know?

Just watch. A significant number of posters find two large buttons "New Reply" more attractive than a single "Quote". That's real life. You're an adept, of course ... Wink

(01-04-2014 07:50 AM)walter b Wrote:  Suggestion:

Then you have to scroll up to the top if you want to reply to the original post.

As you did on the old forum - so no change at all in that aspect.

01-05-2014, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014 11:21 AM by aurelio.)
(01-05-2014 04:12 AM)walter b Wrote:  As you did on the old forum - so no change at all in that aspect.

But all we are looking forward, with attention and respect of the past, isn't it? Smile
01-05-2014, 02:13 PM
(01-05-2014 11:19 AM)aurelio Wrote:  But all we are looking forward, with attention and respect of the past, isn't it? :)

This attention should save us from falling back behind the past, shouldn't it?

d:-/
01-05-2014, 02:43 PM
(01-04-2014 10:40 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  How do you know? You should start a poll:
Please add:
  • I'm dumbest and don't even know what the problem is

@Walter:

Just in case it's the threaded list mode: Don't use it. If a discussion forks, it's about time for another thread. Also, my contribution shows that it would be difficult to list my post in a meaningful way in threaded view. It's atomic in a sense and still references your original post and the first post in the first branch. It is where it is because I needed (or wanted ;-)) Thomas' quote, not because I find it would belong there.
01-05-2014, 03:36 PM
How do you know? You should start a poll:
Quote:Suggestion:
No thanks. Then you have to scroll up to the top if you want to reply to the original post. Sad
With the current solution you can do both. Feel free to remove the quoted contents if that bothers you.

Cheers
Thomas

(01-05-2014 02:43 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  
(01-04-2014 10:40 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  How do you know? You should start a poll:
Please add:
  • I'm dumbest and don't even know what the problem is

@Walter:

Just in case it's the threaded list mode: Don't use it. If a discussion forks, it's about time for another thread. Also, my contribution shows that it would be difficult to list my post in a meaningful way in threaded view. It's atomic in a sense and still references your original post and the first post in the first branch. It is where it is because I needed (or wanted ;-)) Thomas' quote, not because I find it would belong there.

You can click on the + [Quote this post] just beside the QUOTE button. And then use it in a reply to a specific post using QUOTE or to the original post using NEW REPLY. This allows you to add quotes from multiple posts even from different threads in your reply.

In this case I added your post but quoted it in a reply to my first post.

Cheers
Thomas
01-05-2014, 04:16 PM
It seems to me that you can ONLY reply to the original post - there is no additional level of threading as there was in the old forum. It's true that you can quote a previous message in a reply, but each reply is linked to the original post only. Or am I missing something? Is there a way to see, for example, this post and all replies to it?

Dave
01-05-2014, 05:13 PM
(01-05-2014 04:16 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  Or am I missing something? Is there a way to see, for example, this post and all replies to it?

Switch from Linear Mode to Threaded Mode:

Messages In This Thread
Filing of Replies; Suggestion - walter b - Yesterday, 08:50
   RE: Filing of Replies; Suggestion - Thomas Klemm - Yesterday, 11:40
      RE: Filing of Replies; Suggestion - walter b - Today, 05:12
         RE: Filing of Replies; Suggestion - aurelio - Today, 12:19
            RE: Filing of Replies; Suggestion - walter b - Today, 15:13
      RE: Filing of Replies; Suggestion - Thomas Radtke - Today, 15:43
      RE: Filing of Replies; Suggestion - Thomas Klemm - Today, 16:36
   RE: Filing of Replies; Suggestion - David Hayden - Today 17:16

Cheers
Thomas
01-05-2014, 06:59 PM
(01-05-2014 03:36 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  You can click on the + [Quote this post] just beside the QUOTE button. And then use it in a reply to a specific post using QUOTE or to the original post using NEW REPLY. This allows you to add quotes from multiple posts even from different threads in your reply.
Yes, I know this. Please take a second look:

(01-05-2014 02:43 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  Also, my contribution shows that it would be difficult to list my post in a meaningful way in threaded view. It's atomic in a sense and still references your original post and the first post in the first branch. It is where it is because I needed (or wanted ;-)) Thomas' quote, not because I find it would belong there.
You see where the problem is with the threaded view? A post that would belong to branches A and B (and so on) is shown on one branch only, no matter how I quote it. Of course it does, but this indicates the difficulty of presenting threads within threads, which further indicates something already known since decades of internet fora: Stay on-topic. If we do, the threaded view becomes obsolete.
01-05-2014, 09:21 PM
(01-05-2014 02:43 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  Just in case it's the threaded list mode: Don't use it.

(12-20-2013 05:25 PM)walter b Wrote:  Just avoid using 'New Reply' -- it is evil.

Don't tell me what to do!
01-06-2014, 03:56 AM
I was happy to find a forum that had some threaded option as it seems quite rare these days, but I do consider linear to be the main/default view. In most forums these days, all new replies go at the end.

At first I didn't even understand the suggestion until I realized that you meant "in threaded mode". However, even if that change was made for threaded mode, people in the default linear mode would still be replying to the end.

Many of the complaints about the old forum were about how it differed from newer forums, so now we have a forum that is in the common current style with a way to "revert" back to a threaded style that is admittedly different than the old forum's threaded style. (The default view in the old forum was my own code and I just don't feel I have the time to adapt it to new demands like Unicode at this time.)

The nice thing about this software though is that it is actively being developed with 2 major upcoming versions on the roadmap so you can make suggestions at the myBB community. Some suggestions/problems I have taken there myself, but as a linear mode user myself, I don't think I would be the best person to try to explain this request so I will leave this one to someone else.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2014, 06:35 AM
(01-06-2014 03:56 AM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  I was happy to find a forum that had some threaded option as it seems quite rare these days, but I do consider linear to be the main/default view. In most forums these days, all new replies go at the end.
The nice thing about this software though is that it is actively being developed with 2 major upcoming versions on the roadmap so you can make suggestions at the myBB community. Some suggestions/problems I have taken there myself, but as a linear mode user myself, I don't think I would be the best person to try to explain this request so I will leave this one to someone else.

OK, I got the message (I didn't know linear mode being so popular - it's far easier for the programmer, of course, but makes it difficult to follow discussions; YMMV).

I assumed the buttons "New Reply" etc. being customizable so the text may be changed (alternatively to "Reply to OP" instead of "New Reply", and to "Reply to this" instead of "Quote"; the replies would still be filed at the end in linear mode {I don't really care}, but in threaded mode misunderstandings would be reduced). If, however, such a 'light customizing' is out of reach even for Drakon, I'll think about bringing the case to the real Archonts. Undecided
01-06-2014, 07:00 AM
(01-06-2014 06:35 AM)walter b Wrote:  I assumed the buttons "New Reply" etc. being customizable so the text may be changed (alternatively to "Reply to OP" instead of "New Reply", and to "Reply to this" instead of "Quote";

I already changed "reply" to "quote" to match someone some previous users preferences so I'm not inclined to do additional button munging at this time.

In linear forums reply is not really reply to OP - but reply to whatever is going on in the conversion now. Plus the whole multi-quote feature is great but kind of anti-threaded mode. So, I think this would be better taken up with the architects of the base system rather than having me trying to hack up another quick change. At least that's how I'm feeling at the moment.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2014, 07:29 AM
(01-06-2014 07:00 AM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 06:35 AM)walter b Wrote:  I assumed the buttons "New Reply" etc. being customizable so the text may be changed (alternatively to "Reply to OP" instead of "New Reply", and to "Reply to this" instead of "Quote";

I already changed "reply" to "quote" to match someone some previous users preferences so I'm not inclined to do additional button munging at this time.

In linear forums reply is not really reply to OP - but reply to whatever is going on in the conversion now. Plus the whole multi-quote feature is great but kind of anti-threaded mode. So, I think this would be better taken up with the architects of the base system rather than having me trying to hack up another quick change. At least that's how I'm feeling at the moment.

OK, so you think the renaming of buttons has to be taken to the Areopagos. I just want to avoid getting the response: "That's easy - each and every moderator can do that." Undecided

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)