Animated Graphs
09-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Animated Graphs
I have seen examples bragging (showing) HP Primes ability to show animated graphs/plots, and animated geometry, I am looking for examples of how to do this, and how to code my own animated graphs/geometry problems.

If you know where I can download examples of animated plots/graphs, and geometrical constructs (2D), please reply. Thanks.

Ok to contact by Email.

PS: I still say Grad should have never of been removed from any modern contemporary calculator! We need Grad/Deg/Rads, please share your support. :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 03:21 AM by Eddie W. Shore.)
RE: Animated Graphs
I haven't done much for the geometry regarding animation, but I have a few programs of simple animations (not involving the geometry app). Interested?

It looks like animations in the geometry app has to do with the element command. Is anyone an expert on this command?

Eddie
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2014, 05:13 AM
Hello

(09-10-2014 02:08 AM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  It looks like animations in the geometry app has to do with the element command. Is anyone an expert on this command?

Yes.

2 types thereof:
- an element of an object. Which means a point which is snapped on a 1D object such as a curve, line, circle, arc, polygon...
- an element by itself, which is nothing more than a variable by another name...

Then you use these elements in the definition of an object, such as a curve. For example if your element is of the variable type, you could create a curve which is SIN(x*GA) where GA is the element...

Then, long hold on the A in the plot window, it will become a slider that you can manipulate, click on the edit menu button and you can set min, max, step and the animation type.
animation is the important part there. back and forth means that it will oscilate, growing from min to max and then decreasing from max to min indefinitely. loop means from min to max again and again and again...
you can set the animation speed and if there is a pause when reaching mins/maxes...

Once that is set, a variabe type element will be just like a number that varies with time. A point of element will be a point moving on it's constraining object.

You can define curves that are based on 1 or more elements which vary at various speeds to get nice effects....

That is prety much it...

Cyrille
09-10-2014, 05:09 PM
(09-10-2014 05:13 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello

(09-10-2014 02:08 AM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  It looks like animations in the geometry app has to do with the element command. Is anyone an expert on this command?

Yes.

Cyrille

Show off! Wink

--Bob Prosperi
09-10-2014, 07:23 PM
How would this be set up?

Trying:

GA: element(0..1)
GB: plotfunc(sin(GA*x))

but nothing showed up on the Plot screen.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Waiting for someone to actually share some animated program code URL or Drop_Box, or a URL to step-by-step instructions. Email direct is aok too.

Last night, I printed out the entire "Programming HP Prime" chapter from PDF file.
Using double-sided paper of course! But I also understand firmware get updated from time to time,
How can I be certain of printing out the updated addendum to Programming?

PS: Please make a case for re-instating Grads with Deg/Rad! Never should have been removed in first place! I feel cheated, "less than a whole calculating device" without my Grads! Share your comments. Thanks. Be proud, show your sliderules!

(09-10-2014 02:08 AM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  I haven't done much for the geometry regarding animation, but I have a few programs of simple animations (not involving the geometry app). Interested?

It looks like animations in the geometry app has to do with the element command. Is anyone an expert on this command?

Eddie
09-11-2014, 05:26 AM
Hello

GA:=element(0.0,1.0,0.3)
GB:=element(0.0,5.0,0.3)
CG:=plotfunc(sin(GA*x)*GB))

will do it...

cyrille
09-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Stunning, I didn´t know how powerful the geometry app is.
I didn´t even know the command "element", because I can´t find in the command boxes.

I´ll take a look at the user´s guide.
09-11-2014, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 12:15 PM by jebem.)
(09-11-2014 09:07 AM)akmon Wrote:  Stunning, I didn´t know how powerful the geometry app is.
I didn´t even know the command "element", because I can´t find in the command boxes.

The "element" object is refereed at pages 155 and 166 of the User Guide, and at page 41 of the User Guide Supplement.

After the firmware 6030 from April-2014, an additional guide was made available. The guide name is:
"HP Prime Graphing Calculator User Guide Supplement", First Edition: April 2014
Document Part Number: 775775-001"

The easy way to get the User Guide Supplement is to install the Virtual Calculator and then browse the installation directory and extract the file from there.

In my case the directory is located at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Prime Virtual Calculator
and the English file name is: User_Guide_EN.pdf
This file contains the TWO guides described above in a single file.

An easier way to read these two guides is to run the virtual calculator and then click on Help / User Guide.

One location to download the Virtual Calculator is:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/

EDIT: Just found a direct link to the User Guide Supplement pdf file:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04334971.pdf

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

09-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Cool Jebem. Thank you for the links. Downloading in progress.
09-11-2014, 02:43 PM
(09-10-2014 09:03 PM)Richard Wagner Wrote:  PS: Please make a case for re-instating Grads with Deg/Rad! Never should have been removed in first place!

The one you have to convince is not us, rather the author of the CAS. Until that also supports grads we probably would not consider implementing it in the HP only code since it would be (yet another) incompatibility introduced when we are trying to reduce/eliminate them.

Quote:I feel cheated, "less than a whole calculating device" without my Grads! Share your comments. Thanks. Be proud, show your sliderules!

Unfortunately, the crickets chirping are probably the response with respect to that topic. GRADs just aren't used anymore...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-11-2014, 02:52 PM
(09-11-2014 09:07 AM)akmon Wrote:  Stunning, I didn´t know how powerful the geometry app is.

The command is the second item in the "point" menu. However, using the "nice names" which is default displays that as "Point On" which is a much better description of what it actually it and does.

Here is how to make an animated triangle.

Geometry, Plot view.

1. Cmds->plot->Function, type sin(x)
2. Cmds->point->point on, select somewhere on your function and press ENTER. You will see a docked "B" in the corner, and a point appear. Hold down on the B and a slider comes up. Drag it around and B will move.
3. Cmds->point->point. Move to two separate locations and press enter at each one. Points C and D will be made.
4. Cmds->polygon->triangle. Selecte the 3 points one after another with enter. A triangle will be made.
5. Hold down on the B again and press EDIT on the menu when it appears. Turn on animation. Exit the dialog. Press ESC to hide the slider. Your triangle will being to move.

The "user guide supplement" had many details on the new geometry application. Unfortunately, it couldn't be rolled into the main document at that time for various reasons which is why it ended up as a "supplement".

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-13-2014, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2014 11:41 AM by Marcus von Cube.)
Hi Tim,

I tried your example. It caused the calculator to hang on the first attempt and to reboot on the second. I don't think this can easily be reproduced because it is highly interactive. But there must be something still buggy in the software.

Edit: The problem might be related to enabling the slider by holding down on 'B'.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
09-13-2014, 07:37 PM
(09-13-2014 11:38 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  I tried your example. It caused the calculator to hang on the first attempt and to reboot on the second. I don't think this can easily be reproduced because it is highly interactive.

My Prime also hanged on the first attempt. This was the very first time that I used the "Geometry" App. I had similar crashes (freezing UI) when I tried some of the other Apps for the first time, e.g. "Advanced Graphing", "Spreadsheet", "Parametric" and maybe also the statistics Apps.

Perhaps the Apps are not properly initialized...?
09-14-2014, 08:46 AM
(09-13-2014 07:37 PM)Thomas Ritschel Wrote:  
(09-13-2014 11:38 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  I tried your example. It caused the calculator to hang on the first attempt and to reboot on the second. I don't think this can easily be reproduced because it is highly interactive.

My Prime also hanged on the first attempt. This was the very first time that I used the "Geometry" App. I had similar crashes (freezing UI) when I tried some of the other Apps for the first time, e.g. "Advanced Graphing", "Spreadsheet", "Parametric" and maybe also the statistics Apps.

Perhaps the Apps are not properly initialized...?

The same happens with my Prime (h/w Rev A and f/w 6030).

The animation works fine using the example indicated by Cyrille in post #3 and #7.

But after trying to play with it by editing the animation step value, changing it from the default 0.1 to 0.05, it crashes and a few moments later it came up with the (x2 + y2 =1) display, but after that it went to a power off state.
The On key did not answer.
I had to do a hard reset with a paper clip in the back to recover, and lost the previous memory state contents, as expected.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

09-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Tried your example. It soft reseted on step 3 because I chose a wrong command (anyway it should not hang). Next time I managed to do it. Point b moves itself, but c and d remain fixed. Does the whole triangle has to move without changing its shape?
09-22-2015, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2015 10:00 PM by Jean-Michel.)
Hello

I did what Tim proposed in post #12 but step 1 (enter "sin(x)" as an argument for plotfunc ) caused the Prime to hang on, with no other issue than a paper clip reset.
Tried in Plot view as well as in Symb view, several times.
Also tried to enter "sin" instead of "SIN" as it comes by pushing the related key.
Config : latest firmware 2015 6 17 (8151), textbook mode, angle unit : degree.

I apologize if this has already been solved and explained in another thread, later than this one. I do my best to read the more I can, but need to work and sleep sometimes ;-)

Regards.
09-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Perhaps you want to have a look at my Taylorani-program, but it is not perfect, as there are still bugs in theInstruction command.
Arno

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)