The actuel Prime future...
08-13-2014, 03:49 PM
The actuel Prime future...
I search for the Prime for the back to school and nothing... I think that HP will not continu to support the Prime... May be a new Prime for next year...
I feel sad because this is really a great calculator (very fast) but a lots of bugs.
Marcel
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2014, 04:13 PM
RE: The actuel Prime future...
Why would availability in brick&mortal stores have anything to do with future plans? Getting peg space is one of the most ridiculously difficult things to do for ANY product - let alone one in an ever shrinking market segment.

Not sure your country/location. In the USA most Best Buys have them in stock locally...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
08-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Hi Tim
I live in Montréal, Canada.
I never see a prime in a store in my region. I check online at Staple, Best buy, Future Shop,... nothing ...
I think this is the time of the year for this product...
Marcel.
(I am french, sorry for the mistakes...)
08-13-2014, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2014 09:40 PM by jebem.)
Same scenario in Portugal and Spain.
Year after year we see less and less calculators on shops for people to buy.
HP was the first brand to go away, at least two years ago, and now we see the same happening with Texas, and only Casio is resisting the trend and can be seen in the shops here and there.

This is a sad scenario indeed for us die hard guys from the glorious days of portable computing.

Apparently what people wants these days are pocket smartphones, many sporting more processing power than many 90's super workstations, where anyone can install hundreds of applications including calculator programs (some of them really nice and powerful - algebraic, RPN, CAS, make your choice or better than that, install all of them!).

So who cares about classic calculators these days?

The education market stills consumes calculators at specific countries around the world, as long as it complies to very rigid specifications to be accepted by the official establishment.
But even at basic school computers did take over calculators some years ago.
Most of the students are native Internet users - they expect any device to be connected - that's it.
It is a matter of time until the establishment/teachers stops forcing the use of dedicated devices such as a calculator as a tool in education.

I grew up at school in the 70's using calculators because computers were rare and only available at large enterprises.
I'm a small collector in electronic devices, that's why I'm interested in them.
Otherwise I use a computer for any kind of calculations since the 80's, and never miss a calculator.

On a more positive note, the HP-PRIME is easy to acquire - just browse the usual Internet portals, starting by eBay.
That's how I got mine.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

08-13-2014, 10:20 PM
(08-13-2014 09:33 PM)jebem Wrote:  So who cares about classic calculators these days?

Only members of this forum! And that's not exactly a market that a manufacturer could make lots of profits on.

Since HP is still making the 12c, it would seem the financial market still relies on the old tried-and-true. As younger people enter that market, that will likely change.

The education market has long embraced the TI world, but that's bound to change too. At the school where I teach (a very small school), neither of the two math teachers use calculators, nor do students.

The future probably belongs to smart phones. I'm not a fan of those, but tomorrow I turn 64, so I'm a fossil. I think calculators will soon follow.
08-14-2014, 03:08 AM
Same in Chile, but there is some Casio ones in regional stores (old classpads usually). Maybe in Santiago there is HP in the stores, but certainly not in little towns.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-14-2014, 12:24 PM
(08-13-2014 10:20 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  The future probably belongs to smart phones. I'm not a fan of those, but tomorrow I turn 64, so I'm a fossil. I think calculators will soon follow.

Happy Birthday Don!

--Bob Prosperi
08-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Hi,
I also try this morning hpshopping.ca and no hp Prime or no calculator at all...
Why?
Marcel.
08-14-2014, 01:11 PM
(08-14-2014 12:24 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Happy Birthday Don!

Thanks Bob. I've discovered the secret of a happy retirement:

1. Have something to do.
  2. Exercise regularly and stay healthy.
  3. Have a good pension plan.
08-14-2014, 01:38 PM
(08-14-2014 12:24 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(08-13-2014 10:20 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  The future probably belongs to smart phones. I'm not a fan of those, but tomorrow I turn 64, so I'm a fossil. I think calculators will soon follow.

Happy Birthday Don!

Your just in your "terrible twos" as in 2^6. Here's to 2^7 or at least 3^4...
08-14-2014, 02:17 PM
(08-14-2014 12:24 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Happy Birthday Don!
+1
08-14-2014, 02:21 PM
(08-14-2014 01:38 PM)CR Haeger Wrote:  Your just in your "terrible twos" as in 2^6. Here's to 2^7 or at least 3^4...

Yeah, this coming year is probably the last power of 2 year I will experience, unless I manage to live to age 2^7. Gosh, I'm not sure I want to do that!
08-14-2014, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2014 04:54 PM by compsystems.)
Lo siento en castellano =(

vendí mi HP-Prime por que realmente desde mi punto de vista es super compleja de operar y programar, en mas de un anio, casi nadie programa, mientras que en el primer anio de la HP48, HP50, TI89 habían miles de programas

Comprare una nueva HP-Prime si solo si

0:

En modo CAS las variables A, B, ... Z permanecen simbólicas (Por implementar)
En modo HOME las variables A, B, ... Z se preasignan a 0 (OK)

1:

Unificar en un solo nombre la lista de funciones y comandos del catalogo

MAKELIST(X²,X,1,5) == makelist(X²,X,1,5) == makeList(X²,X,1,5)

pero en

CAS MODE:

MAKELIST(X²,X,1,5) == makelist(X²,X,1,5) == makeList(X²,X,1,5) return {1,4,9,16,25} OK
== makeList(x²,x,1,5) == makeList(y²,y,1,5) return {1,4,9,16,25} OK

makeList(x²+y,x,1,5) return {1+y,4+y,9+y,16+y,25+y} OK
-----------------------
HOME MODE:

MAKELIST(X²,X,1,5) == makelist(X²,X,1,5) == makeList(X²,X,1,5) return "you can not use system variables A, B, .... X, Y, Z, define symbolic variables"

SIMBVAR X [ENTER]

HOME MODE:

MAKELIST(X²,X,1,5) == makelist(X²,X,1,5) == makeList(X²,X,1,5) return {1,4,9,16,25} OK

or

makeList(X², SIMBVAR X,1,5) return {1,4,9,16,25} OK

or lowercase vars

MAKELIST(x²,x,1,5) == makelist(x²,x,1,5) == makeList(x²,x,1,5) return {1,4,9,16,25} OK
08-14-2014, 06:06 PM
(08-13-2014 03:49 PM)Marcel Wrote:  I search for the Prime for the back to school and nothing... I think that HP will not continu to support the Prime... May be a new Prime for next year...
I feel sad because this is really a great calculator (very fast) but a lots of bugs.
Marcel

(08-14-2014 12:30 PM)Marcel Wrote:  Hi,
I also try this morning hpshopping.ca and no hp Prime or no calculator at all...
Why?
Marcel.

Marcel,

HP Canada à toujours passé par des concessions pour vendre leurs calculatrices.
Ces concessions devaient garantir des achats minimums d'au moins $20,000 CDN et
les rabais accordés à la concession commençaient à être intéressants vers $50,000.
Les deux plus grandes concessions dans les années 80 à Montréal étaient la
Coop Polytechnique et la Coop du CÉGEP Ahuntsic. Aujourd'hui seule la
Coop Polytechnique a tous les modèles mis disponibles au Canada par HP
(la Prime ne fait pas parti de ce lot) et les grandes surfaces ne tiennent que
la HP-12C, la HP-10BII+ et la HP-35S. Le problème a toujours été et est encore
aujourd'hui les prix pratiqués par HP dans ce pays, c.-à-d. pas loin du double
des États-Unis. La HP-50G par exemple, le prix de détail suggéré (PDS) est de
229,95$ CDN, le prix membre de CooPoly est de 189,95$ CDN, le PDS aux É.-U. est
de $129.99 USD (~141.75) et ont peut facilement se la procurer neuve pour
$90.00 USD et moins. C'est probablement pour cette raison que la majorité des
acheteurs Canadien aujourd'hui vont faire leurs achats sur des sites web états-uniens.

Sylvain (Saint-Eustache, Québec, Canada)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcel,

HP Canada has always sold their calculator trought concessions.
These concessions had to guarantee a minimum purchases of at least $ 20,000 CDN
and dealership rebates began to be interesting to $ 50,000. The two biggest
concessions in the 80s in Montreal were the Coop Polytechnique and the
CEGEP Ahuntsic Coop. Today only Coop Polytechnique has all models available in
Canada by HP (the Prime is not part of this lot) and big stores hold only
the HP-12C, HP-10BII + and HP-35S. The problem has always been, and still is
today, the prices charges by HP for their calculators in this country
(close twice of the USA one's). The HP-50G for example, the suggested retail
price (SRP) is $ 229.95 CDN, the CooPoly member price is $ 189.95 CDN,
the SRP in USA is of $ 129.99 USD (~ 141.75) and the 50G can easily bought new
for $ 90.00 USD or less. It is probably for this reason that the majority of
the Canadian buyers today will make their purchases on USA websites.

Sylvain (Saint-Eustache, Quebec, Canada)
08-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Merci Sylvain!
Tes explications sont claires et précises et expliquent bien l'absence de HP pour ce retour à l'école!
Marcel.

Thank you Sylvain!
Your explanation help me understand the lack of HP in that back to school time.
Marcel.
08-14-2014, 11:14 PM
(08-14-2014 04:15 PM)compsystems Wrote:  Lo siento en castellano =(

vendí mi HP-Prime por que realmente desde mi punto de vista es super compleja de operar y programar, en mas de un anio, casi nadie programa, mientras que en el primer anio de la HP48, HP50, TI89 habían miles de programas

Hola,
Entiendo perfectamente su punto de vista, y también lamento que la evolución de esta calculadora no está siendo lo que a todos nos gustaría disfrutar.
Pero me quedo con mi calculadora como un hermoso recuerdo.
Saludos cordiales.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

08-15-2014, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2014 05:46 PM by compsystems.)
Pienso que la HP-Prime seguirá evolucionando por un mal camino, y la razón es que el modo principal de operación es HOME y el CAS solo es una extensión (software aparte) es muy complicado seguir la metodología que nos quieren imponer el grupo de desarrollo de la HP-Prime

Una muestra de lo inoperable de la HP-PRIME version 2014-3-31

Example:
Crear una lista de 5 elementos en la cual los elementos tienen como funcion X^2

HOME Mode

Keys

[HOME] [TOOLS] [Ctlg] find MakeList [OK] => put MAKELIST

MAKELIST(X^2,X,1,5) [ENTER] returns {1,4,9,16,25} OK

Now CAS MODE

[HOME] [TOOLS] [Ctlg] find MakeList [OK] => put makelist in lowercase ??????

makelist (X^2,X,1,5) [ENTER] returns [0] ????????

X -> x or y

makelist (x^2,x,1,5) [ENTER] returns [[]] ????????

para solucionar el problema debo escribirlo en mayúscula, entonces por que el catalogo coloca el nombre en minúscula, este simple echo desanima a muchos a programar en la HP-Prime no somos adivinos para saber como opera cada comando

MAKELIST(X^2,X,1,5) [ENTER] returns {1,4,9,16,25}

La HP-prime seria un éxito si el modo CAS fuera el modo universal y el HOME un caso especial no lo contrario

example

CAS MODE

MAKELIST(X²+Y1,X,1,5) [ENTER] returns ["Error: No definition in Symbolic view"] ???? Por que? este mensaje deberia arrojarse en MODO HOME y no en el CAS

La variable simbólica es Y1, x es la variable de cambio, parece ser que MAKELIST es un comando solo numérico diseñado para modo HOME, entonces por que aparece en el CATALOGO en modo CAS?

makeList(x²+y,x,1,5) return {1+y,4+y,9+y,16+y,25+y} OK

makeList(x²+y,y,1,5) return {1+x^2, 2+x^2, 3+x^2, 4+x^2, 5+x^2} OK

este comando es tan simple de programarlo y si en algo tan simple falla, entonces no se puede construir programas si los cimientos fallan =(

SE REQUIERE UNA JUNTA EXTRAORDINARIA ENTRE LOS USUARIOS DE LA HP-PRIME Y LOS DESARROLLADORES DE LA HP-PRIME, de lo contrario sera destinada al fracaso y muy pronto veremos HP-Prime en prenderias o sitios de empenio

Hay que reinventar la rueda, pero bien
08-17-2014, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2014 09:17 PM by John P.)
I was recently thinking about the future of calculators and concluded the the HP Prime was the last calculator I bought unless the HP makes some super dooper miracle calculator without bags etc but I doubt it. I decided to wait for the next iteration of the Microsoft Surface 3 Pro and if I like it I will buy it or some other fast laptop or ultra portable based on Brodwell. I will buy Mathematica 10 home license and use it. It is a waist of time to try figure out all the idiosyncracis of the HP Prime and as a calculator cell phone should be enough. The price of Mathematica home license is about twice the price of the HP Prime though for a long run I think it is worth it. I am through wit HP and I think for good.
08-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Quote:I decided to wait for the next iteration of the Microsoft Surface 3 Pro
Don't underestimate Chromebooks. They have a proper, built-in keyboard, and they sell quite well.
08-17-2014, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2014 07:00 PM by jebem.)
(08-17-2014 05:51 PM)debrouxl Wrote:  
Quote:I decided to wait for the next iteration of the Microsoft Surface 3 Pro
Don't underestimate Chromebooks. They have a proper, built-in keyboard, and they sell quite well.

Yap, it seems to be the trend these days.... cloud computing concept (pay as you go for computer services, self service, work from anywhere and using your own client device).
The new wave of portable devices, no matter what operating system is running, allows for connected and unconnected work sessions, and your data will be secured stored in the cloud...

Chromebooks for instance, even allows to run an legacy/classic fat O.S. like Windows by using VMware Horizon client in a virtual machine, so we can have both worlds in a single device.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)