Firmware replacement
08-24-2021, 03:45 PM
Firmware replacement

After a long browsing through different forums
I found that the problem of ConnKit/Firmware incompatibility (SGS Prime COGO is unusable) is caused (G1 calculator version) by the bug in firmware version 2021-05-05. Firmware version 2020-01-16 is a solution. But I cannot force the HP Prime to accept the older version of the firmware. Pls help.
Thanks
Slavomir
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2021, 03:15 AM
RE: Firmware replacement
Have you tried a factory reset on your calculator?

This can be a bit tricky:
1. Hold down the three keys with alpha letters C, F, and O simultaneously, then use a paperclip in the reset hole on the back of the calculator.
2. Release keys and then paperclip
3. You should see a diagnostic menu, select 4. FLS Utility
4. Select 3. Format Disk C

I have seen calculators start doing weird stuff that point to something going bad in memory perhaps, almost always the factory reset fixes those types of problems.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-25-2021, 09:54 AM
(08-25-2021 03:15 AM)Jacob Wall Wrote:  Have you tried a factory reset on your calculator?

This can be a bit tricky:
1. Hold down the three keys with alpha letters C, F, and O simultaneously, then use a paperclip in the reset hole on the back of the calculator.
2. Release keys and then paperclip
3. You should see a diagnostic menu, select 4. FLS Utility
4. Select 3. Format Disk C

I have seen calculators start doing weird stuff that point to something going bad in memory perhaps, almost always the factory reset fixes those types of problems.

Hi Jacob,
thanks, but it did not work. No diagnostic menu appears, I see only x2+y2=1 instead.
My HP Prime is G1.
In fact what I need is just to downgrade the firmware from 2021-05-05 version to 2020-01-16 as the bug reported in 05-05 disables the functionality of the calculator pane for the G1 calculator version.
I am almost crazy. Nobody except you helped me.
Once more thanks.
Old idiot (81) should not use modern facilities.
Slavomir
08-25-2021, 10:14 AM
(08-24-2021 03:45 PM)Slavomir_Cerny Wrote:  ... But I cannot force the HP Prime to accept the older version of the firmware. Pls help.
Try this:
- Download the wanted firmware file (.zip), e.g. HP_Prime_Calculator_Firmware_20200116.zip
- Unpack the zip file
- navigate in explorer to
C:\Users\<YOUR_NAME>\Documents\HP Connectivity Kit\Firmware\PrimeG1
- copy the contents of the zip file to this location
Then connect your prime to the PC, and start the Connectivity Kit.
08-25-2021, 10:53 AM
(08-25-2021 10:14 AM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  
(08-24-2021 03:45 PM)Slavomir_Cerny Wrote:  ... But I cannot force the HP Prime to accept the older version of the firmware. Pls help.
Try this:
- Download the wanted firmware file (.zip), e.g. HP_Prime_Calculator_Firmware_20200116.zip
- Unpack the zip file
- navigate in explorer to
C:\Users\<YOUR_NAME>\Documents\HP Connectivity Kit\Firmware\PrimeG1
- copy the contents of the zip file to this location
Then connect your prime to the PC, and start the Connectivity Kit.
Thanks Thomas,
I have done everything you describe, but the problem is that the firmware loaded in the Prime is the newest version 2021-05-05 and I always get the message "No updates available", because the version 2020-01-16 is older. I would need to format the C drive to delete the installed firmware. But I do not know, how to do it and how to backup my files, because HP ConnKit lost this functionality.
Once more thanks
Slavomir
08-25-2021, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2021 11:17 AM by Thomas_Sch.)
In HP Connectivity Kit with connected Prime a Right-Click on the Calculators Name should offer you the Option "Backup".

Also Cyrille described at https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-14...#pid127163 how to downgrade the Prime.
08-25-2021, 01:14 PM
I just did the downgrade on my Prime G1 following the instructions above from Thomas_Sch.

It worked fine, and I have now the firmware 20200116 on my Prime G1, replacing the 20210505.

Just a few comments:
  • after copying the content of the zip file HP_Prime_Calculator_Firmware_20200116.zip to the PrimeG1 directory, you may end-up with two files named: "version_20200116" and "version_20210505" (if you had previously loaded the 20210505 firmware). You can delete "version_20210505".
  • if the connectivity kit doesn't prompt automatically for the update then right click on the HP Prime in the left panel and select "Update firmware" at the bottom of the menu, it will force the update.
08-26-2021, 10:58 AM
(08-25-2021 01:14 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  I just did the downgrade on my Prime G1 following the instructions above from Thomas_Sch.

It worked fine, and I have now the firmware 20200116 on my Prime G1, replacing the 20210505.

Just a few comments:
  • after copying the content of the zip file HP_Prime_Calculator_Firmware_20200116.zip to the PrimeG1 directory, you may end-up with two files named: "version_20200116" and "version_20210505" (if you had previously loaded the 20210505 firmware). You can delete "version_20210505".
  • if the connectivity kit doesn't prompt automatically for the update then right click on the HP Prime in the left panel and select "Update firmware" at the bottom of the menu, it will force the update.
Hi all,
nothing works. Right click on the calc name does not offer "Backup". Just: Preferences, Rename, Get screen capture, Restore, Properties, Refresh and Update firmware.
I see only way out in formatting the firmware file. I can accept lost of all my files. Just need to fix this problem. Without deleting the existing 2021-05-05 firmware in Prime nothing helps.
How to format the firmware file? My version is G1
Thanks
Slavomir
08-26-2021, 11:29 AM
(08-26-2021 10:58 AM)Slavomir_Cerny Wrote:  nothing works. Right click on the calc name does not offer "Backup". Just: Preferences, Rename, Get screen capture, Restore, Properties, Refresh and Update firmware.

What happens when you click on Update firmware?
08-26-2021, 11:49 AM
(08-26-2021 11:29 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(08-26-2021 10:58 AM)Slavomir_Cerny Wrote:  nothing works. Right click on the calc name does not offer "Backup". Just: Preferences, Rename, Get screen capture, Restore, Properties, Refresh and Update firmware.

What happens when you click on Update firmware?
Hi Didier,
It looks I have made some critical mistake. I must recheck everything. Sorry for annoying you.
Thanks and please accept my apologies.
Slavomir
08-26-2021, 11:52 AM
No problem, we are here to try to help you. Please report if you manage to downgrade your G1 Smile
08-26-2021, 03:39 PM
(08-26-2021 11:52 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  No problem, we are here to try to help you. Please report if you manage to downgrade your G1 Smile
Hi all (Jacob, Thomas, Didier),
many thanks. Although I do not know what exactly I did wrong, nevertheless:
- factory reset (C,F,O) does not work (probably due to my G1 version)
- firmware 2.1.14425 successfully installed, but for unknown reasons the file should be put in:
C:\users\username\Documents\firmware\PrimeG1 directory (i.e. not in ....\HP Connectivity Kit\....)
- during the installation I have got a message "mDNS" not working in this machine
- Nowhere I can see the option "Backup".
I will never more accept any updates :-).
Please be aware I am an old guy and during my university studies vacuum tubes were the top technology.(Czech Technical University).
Once more thanks to all of you invoking me to try and not to give up.
Slavomir
08-26-2021, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2021 06:40 AM by Thomas_Sch.)
Hello Slavomir,

edit: You mentioned, that your path to the firmware is
C:\users\username\Documents\firmware\PrimeG1 directory (i.e. not in ....\HP Connectivity Kit\....).
- Can it be that this is the path to the unzipped files?
- Maybe something is wrong with your installation of the Connectivity Kit, or it's a very old version?
To be sure, remove the program, and do a fresh installation of an actual version.

Here are more questions regarding your installation.
  1. which OS you are using on your PC? Windows? Windows10?
  2. what's the version of the HP Connectivity Kit you have installed? (mine ist: Build: 2.1.14592 (2021 6 9) ).
    If it's lower(older, please try to update. e.g. from https://www.hpcalc.org/details/8938
  3. do you have installed also the HP Prime Virtual Calculator?
    (actual version is Build: 2.1.14592 (2021 6 9) )
    You can find it at https://www.hpcalc.org/details/8939
  4. If you have started Connectivity Kit and Virtual calculator, there should be the Virtual Calc. in the left Pane of the Conn. Kit, under "Calculators".
  5. Right clicking on the Virtual Calculator you should get the options:
    "Preferences, Rename, Get screen capture, >>Backup<<, Clone from here, Restore, Properties, Refresh "
    Do you see this options?
08-27-2021, 02:45 PM
(08-26-2021 09:10 PM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  Hello Slavomir,

edit: You mentioned, that your path to the firmware is
C:\users\username\Documents\firmware\PrimeG1 directory (i.e. not in ....\HP Connectivity Kit\....).
- Can it be that this is the path to the unzipped files?
- Maybe something is wrong with your installation of the Connectivity Kit, or it's a very old version?
To be sure, remove the program, and do a fresh installation of an actual version.

Here are more questions regarding your installation.
  1. which OS you are using on your PC? Windows? Windows10?
  2. what's the version of the HP Connectivity Kit you have installed? (mine ist: Build: 2.1.14592 (2021 6 9) ).
    If it's lower(older, please try to update. e.g. from https://www.hpcalc.org/details/8938
  3. do you have installed also the HP Prime Virtual Calculator?
    (actual version is Build: 2.1.14592 (2021 6 9) )
    You can find it at https://www.hpcalc.org/details/8939
  4. If you have started Connectivity Kit and Virtual calculator, there should be the Virtual Calc. in the left Pane of the Conn. Kit, under "Calculators".
  5. Right clicking on the Virtual Calculator you should get the options:
    "Preferences, Rename, Get screen capture, >>Backup<<, Clone from here, Restore, Properties, Refresh "
    Do you see this options?

Hi Thomas,
- my Winver is 21H1, OS Build 19043.1165
- HP Prime Firmware after a successful downgrade is 2.1.14425 (2020-01-16) HW version C, OS: V0.050.640
- ConnKit is 2.1.14592 (2021-6-9)

My problem appeared after installation of the newest HP Firmware. Clicking the calc name in a pane caused calculator restart. Bug in the new firmware for G1 version is reported and downgrade to the version 2020-01-16 fixes the bug (as it is my experience).
Now I am OK
I do no use Virtual Calculator at all. And I will refuse any upgrades of the Prime and ConnKit in future.
Once more thanks for your help and assistance.
Slavomir

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)