definitive list of cases for each model calculator
07-28-2021, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021 09:01 AM by Kostas Kritsilas.)
RE: definitive list of cases for each model calculator
You can see the pictures of the cases, as you posted. The pictures that you posted do not show the texture of the vinyl. Nor does it show the variations in colour; some HP classic vinyl cases are brown, but not all. Some are very dark green. I cannot say that they arrived in those dark green colours, but the if the colour variation was due to sunlight, or chemical reaction, the sunlight/reaction must have been quite uniform, as the colour is quite even all over the case.

When I said from memory, I meant from personal memory, as in having seen both case types (HP-55 and HP-67, both belonging to friends) during my college days, and being surprised as to how different the cases were, even though the calculators were bought fairly close together in time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2021, 08:25 PM
(07-28-2021 08:59 AM)Kostas Kritsilas Wrote:  You can see the pictures of the cases, as you posted. The pictures that you posted do not show the texture of the vinyl. Nor does it show the variations in colour; some HP classic vinyl cases are brown, but not all. Some are very dark green.

Did you click on the pictures to see the full size originals? They should show the texture of the vinyl.
Regarding colours, their perception can differ between people and also with lighting conditions, so here are a few pictures of a 55 case and a 67 case side by side where you can compare the size, texture and colour:

[Image: mini_6CGiMb-IMG-20210728-114901.jpg] [Image: mini_4CGiMb-IMG-20210728-114923.jpg] [Image: mini_4CGiMb-IMG-20210728-115059.jpg]

And for brown vs. very dark green, I cannot say. There may have been some variation in the production of these cases but I have four 55-type cases that I got with 35/45/55 units and they all seem to have a very similar color to me, with the slight differences coming from the lighting:

[Image: mini_CNGiMb-IMG-20210728-115738.jpg] [Image: mini_BNGiMb-IMG-20210728-115812.jpg]
07-29-2021, 07:12 AM
To be honest, the cases in your pictures, the ones you just posted (HP-45/55/80), when opened up to full size do not look brown, they look gray. In the pictures of the 4 cases, they look dark grey, with the two on the right side somewhat darker.

I have two HP-67 type cases, and two HP-41CX cases (the long ones with the space for the magnetic card reader), and all of them look lighter in colour than your HP-67 case.

I think we are struggling with a colour calibration issue, which is fairly common for Internet images.
07-29-2021, 08:00 AM
(07-29-2021 07:12 AM)Kostas Kritsilas Wrote:  To be honest, the cases in your pictures, the ones you just posted (HP-45/55/80), when opened up to full size do not look brown, they look gray. In the pictures of the 4 cases, they look dark grey, with the two on the right side somewhat darker.

Interesting, for me they look dark brown, both in reality and on my screen, but as I said color perception varies across people and as you said without a proper color calibration on the source file and the display device it's difficult to communicate proper colors.
07-29-2021, 09:37 AM
(07-26-2021 05:00 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(07-26-2021 10:20 AM)epopy Wrote:  Hi Didier,
here the picture of an unreferenced travel safety case from my HP-45 (inside is the same as the other).

Thanks, I didn't notice that there was two versions of the travel safety case, but after checking my archives it appears that yours without the Hewlett-Packard reference was the earliest one. It will be in the next update of the pdf file.
For my information, what is the serial number of your HP-45?
1301S16801 with spanish label

my site : epocalc
07-29-2021, 09:51 AM
(07-27-2021 10:02 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 07:23 AM)isanchez Wrote:  Going deeper, may I propose to clarify the HP41 series case versions...there are a few, depending on the calculator model, and time. The differences are in the stamped HP logo and the zipper.

Sure, please share here your observations and pictures. I didn't notice any specific differences, for me the HP41 cases look all the same.

Different HP logo and different zipper (manufacturer SCOY IT(?) vs. YKK). Also difference in color of the zipper clothing.

07-30-2021, 01:10 AM
I think that over time, there were a vast number of small, but significant variations in the cases, as the pictures of AndiGer show. My recollection of vinyl colour variations is another. The cases did not vary in terms of actual physical layout, but vinyl colours, textures, flexibility, zippers, and possibly the inner linings I think would be common, and in many respects, expected.
07-30-2021, 06:51 AM
The case for my HP 15C is a bit different from the ones I've seen for other Voyager calculators. Perhaps it's an aftermarket knock-off.

[Image: hpcasefront.png]

[Image: hpcaseback.png]

The serial number for the calculator is an earlier one (2222A04643), maybe the case wasn't sold for very long.
07-30-2021, 01:19 PM
(07-30-2021 06:51 AM)Benjer Wrote:  The case for my HP 15C is a bit different from the ones I've seen for other Voyager calculators. Perhaps it's an aftermarket knock-off.

[snip]

The serial number for the calculator is an earlier one (2222A04643), maybe the case wasn't sold for very long.

No,this is original, I have several of them, generally referred to as the "pebbled" style. They were shipped early (though not at the very start in 1980) and it seems not for very long. I also can't pin down if they were used only for certain models as all the examples I have were acquired 2nd hand and no way to know if they originally came with the Voyagers I got them with.

I heard/read somewhere, long ago, that these came with early 16C units, but I have no way to know if that's the case (however note that the 16C launched July '82 so close to your example). Most likely this style "leather" finish came from one of several suppliers and either HP didn't like it since it was different, or they weren't used again.

Anyhow, I like this case style a lot, though it seems to wear less well than the other "normal" finish style.

--Bob Prosperi
07-30-2021, 03:40 PM
(07-29-2021 09:37 AM)epopy Wrote:  
(07-26-2021 05:00 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  For my information, what is the serial number of your HP-45?
1301S16801 with spanish label

Thanks, this looks like an early HP-45 from Singapore.

(07-29-2021 09:51 AM)AndiGer Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 10:02 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Sure, please share here your observations and pictures. I didn't notice any specific differences, for me the HP41 cases look all the same.

Different HP logo and different zipper (manufacturer SCOY IT(?) vs. YKK). Also difference in color of the zipper clothing.
(07-30-2021 06:51 AM)Benjer Wrote:  The case for my HP 15C is a bit different from the ones I've seen for other Voyager calculators. Perhaps it's an aftermarket knock-off.

Thanks I will add this and your pictures in the next version of the PDF file. It's the first time I notice this type of case for the Voyagers as well as the different hp logo on the 41 cases.
09-04-2021, 10:32 AM
I've updated the pdf file in the article section of the forum to v1.1. I've updated several sections and added new pictures, including the feedback provided in this thread.
09-04-2021, 01:31 PM
Wow!
Great pictures! Cool
Thank you!
Sylvain
PS: Since you have included the 71B case, it would be fair to also include the 75C/D case. (IMHO)
PPS: I have most of them but I see now that I will have to dig further to get them all. Dodgy
09-08-2021, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2021 02:02 PM by albertofenini.)
Excellent post !!
I have seen someone has added the gray plastic travel case
as far as I know there is also the tougher metallic travel case covered with a light blu vinyl plastic,
used to be shipped with the HP80 and few other classics
Thanks you very much for sharing the pictures

[EDIT] I have seen too late the pdf ... thank you very much !!!

Edoardo & Alberto
10-17-2021, 12:51 PM
I've updated the pdf file in the article section of the forum to v1.2.

I've added the HP-75C/D case, a new "EduCALC Stands and Cases" section, and a Table of Content.
01-11-2022, 11:56 PM
Does anybody know if the voyager and pioneer leather cases are the same size? i.e. are 92169A and 92169K the same size?

I'm guessing not, hence two different part numbers for the same color. Is anybody who has both able to take some measurements? Thanks!
01-12-2022, 12:00 AM
(01-11-2022 11:56 PM)arborist Wrote:  Does anybody know if the voyager and pioneer leather cases are the same size? i.e. are 92169A and 92169K the same size?

I'm guessing not, hence two different part numbers for the same color. Is anybody who has both able to take some measurements? Thanks!

No, they are not the same size, though you can put each model machine into the other style case without too much trouble.

All the case styles, colors and part numbers are listed here.

--Bob Prosperi
01-13-2022, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2022 02:03 AM by arborist.)
(01-12-2022 12:00 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(01-11-2022 11:56 PM)arborist Wrote:  Does anybody know if the voyager and pioneer leather cases are the same size? i.e. are 92169A and 92169K the same size?

No, they are not the same size, though you can put each model machine into the other style case without too much trouble.

All the case styles, colors and part numbers are listed here.

In fact this thread right here has an encyclopedic list of such cases Wink

Thanks for confirming that they're different sizes. I would love it if someone was able to take measurements.
01-14-2022, 05:53 PM
There were two basic cases for the 71B. Early versions had an internal pocket for storing the QRG's and the later version didn't.

[Image: uc?export=download&id=1TF5YRSnyv...FtAtm0gcAQ] [Image: uc?export=download&id=1FeQ_aafro...XZKrGJHN1s]

Also, it has been noticed that some zippers operate left-to-right and others right-to-left.

Dave
01-14-2022, 08:41 PM
(09-04-2021 10:32 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  I've updated the pdf file in the article section of the forum to v1.1. I've updated several sections and added new pictures, including the feedback provided in this thread.

good stuff.
Dont forget the modern new cases for HP41 (1 Model) and HP71 (2 models) to be ordered there https://www.etsy.com/people/AlexRonto

HP71
https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/10706629...hop_review
https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/10628064...hop_review

HP41
https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/10531336...hop_review

HP71 4TH/ASM & Multimod, HP41CV/X & Nov64d, PILBOX, HP-IL 821.62A & 64A & 66A, Deb11 64b-PC & PI2 3 4 w/ ILPER, VIDEO80, V41 & EMU71, DM41X, HP75D
01-05-2024, 09:13 AM
I've just been back to the great article produced from this thread to verify a different case I have only one of and it was listed :-)

Just wondering if the list can distinguish between real leather and faux leather / pleather?

For example, the original 50G case is listed as leather but given how quickly and badly they deteriorate I'm pretty confident they aren't actually leather.

Are all the classic casses listed as leather actually leather (more likely they are)?

Thanks

(10-17-2021 12:51 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  I've updated the pdf file in the article section of the forum to v1.2.

I've added the HP-75C/D case, a new "EduCALC Stands and Cases" section, and a Table of Content.

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)