newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487]
04-30-2021, 10:28 PM
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1360 [ including official build]
(04-30-2021 10:13 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Sorry for asking what is probably an obvious question, but is there a shorcut to enter "pi"? There doesn't appear to be an entry for this on the keyboard. Could this be set up with a custom keyboard key, and if so how would this be done?

Thanks!
Same as 50g stock rom, you can type pi by LS + SPC. And RS + ENTER to get approximate value of pi, which is 3.14159...

S.Korean / HP-50G | fx-570EX | fx-570CW | HP-200LX
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2021, 06:21 AM
Thanks, I figured this out shortly after I posted this question but forgot to edit it after realizing that was the same as the 50g. I was looking at an overlay (which omitted pi) for the 39gs, which doesn’t use the same key for entering the value of pi.
Find all posts by this user
05-01-2021, 08:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2021 01:28 PM by NazarK.)
(04-15-2021 05:18 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  Was disappointed to hear that only the G1 was in the works for a newRPL makeover. Really curious to see what that implementation will look like on the higher res color screen... Is the architecture of the G2 significantly different from G1, causing the limitation?

I second this! Would it be too difficult to port it to the Prime G2?

Actually I should have read the thread properly where it said that the G2 would require hardware modifications. Is this modification only shorting the 2 pins so the prime enters SDP mode or there are some extra things to do? Theoretically could the newRPL for the G1 run on the G2 without huge issues?
05-05-2021, 01:39 PM
(05-01-2021 08:18 AM)NazarK Wrote:  
(04-15-2021 05:18 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  Was disappointed to hear that only the G1 was in the works for a newRPL makeover. Really curious to see what that implementation will look like on the higher res color screen... Is the architecture of the G2 significantly different from G1, causing the limitation?

I second this! Would it be too difficult to port it to the Prime G2?

Actually I should have read the thread properly where it said that the G2 would require hardware modifications. Is this modification only shorting the 2 pins so the prime enters SDP mode or there are some extra things to do? Theoretically could the newRPL for the G1 run on the G2 without huge issues?

Exactly:
* G2 is a completely new platform, therefore it requires completely different hardware drivers, and being a more complex CPU, it is a much more complex process to bring it up.

* G2 needs a hardware mod to boot newRPL, modding a board with SMD components is not for everyone, so chances of people actually installing newRPL are next to zero.
05-05-2021, 01:43 PM
Personally, I am currently keeping on the lookout for a cheap G1 to add to my growing collection of calculators with the thought of just using it for newRPL. :-)

Just waiting to see what it will look like on the Prime before pulling the trigger... Are there any demos or pics of what the implementation looks like for the Prime?
05-06-2021, 01:11 PM
(05-05-2021 01:43 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Personally, I am currently keeping on the lookout for a cheap G1 to add to my growing collection of calculators with the thought of just using it for newRPL. :-)

Just waiting to see what it will look like on the Prime before pulling the trigger... Are there any demos or pics of what the implementation looks like for the Prime?

For now it looks like this:
On G1 hardware:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9453]

On PC hardware:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9454]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-06-2021, 01:17 PM
(05-06-2021 01:11 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(05-05-2021 01:43 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Personally, I am currently keeping on the lookout for a cheap G1 to add to my growing collection of calculators with the thought of just using it for newRPL. :-)

For now it looks like this:
On G1 hardware:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9453]

On PC hardware:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9454]

Nice - thanks for sharing those! I assume the menu and submenu buttons are implemented only via the touchscreen, correct?
05-06-2021, 04:50 PM
(05-06-2021 01:17 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Nice - thanks for sharing those! I assume the menu and submenu buttons are implemented only via the touchscreen, correct?

The menus were reorganized into 2 columns of 3 items to match the position of the 3 keys left and right of the cursor. Those keys become 6 menu keys, then the CAS key switches which menu gets the hard keys (menu 1 or 2). If you look at the picture carefully, you'll see one menu has brighter horizontal lines, that's the visual hint indicating the keys activate that menu.
Unfortunately, the Prime has less keys than the 50g so we cannot find 6 more keys to have both menus operating with hard keys, but the touchscreen compensates by allowing you to use either menu with your finger.

I'm not 100% sure on the current layout, I might move the status area to the center to make the position of the menu match the layout of the keys (but then the other menu will be split, we'll have an inner menu and an outer menu, not sure about that either).
05-06-2021, 05:07 PM
(05-06-2021 04:50 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 01:17 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Nice - thanks for sharing those! I assume the menu and submenu buttons are implemented only via the touchscreen, correct?

The menus were reorganized into 2 columns of 3 items to match the position of the 3 keys left and right of the cursor. Those keys become 6 menu keys, then the CAS key switches which menu gets the hard keys (menu 1 or 2). If you look at the picture carefully, you'll see one menu has brighter horizontal lines, that's the visual hint indicating the keys activate that menu.
Unfortunately, the Prime has less keys than the 50g so we cannot find 6 more keys to have both menus operating with hard keys, but the touchscreen compensates by allowing you to use either menu with your finger.

I'm not 100% sure on the current layout, I might move the status area to the center to make the position of the menu match the layout of the keys (but then the other menu will be split, we'll have an inner menu and an outer menu, not sure about that either).
Interesting... My initial thought was that the split menu might make sense visually, but hard to say without experiencing it firsthand.
05-06-2021, 05:19 PM
We're u thinking the layout would look like this? I wonder if the color screen could be used for differentiation between the inner and outer menus?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-06-2021, 07:43 PM
(05-06-2021 05:19 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  We're u thinking the layout would look like this? I wonder if the color screen could be used for differentiation between the inner and outer menus?

Yes, exactly like that. It would make it easier to find the key that goes with the item, but then you have the menus split in half, I don't know how that will impact the usefulness (having let's say Vars to the left and right, then a menu in the inner columns in my head will make it confusing to use the vars menu. Right now I have the menus grouped together to the left (as in the picture), and I find it confusing. If you use touch there's no confusion at all, but I'm a bit hard-headed into using physical keys for at least one menu.
Of course, the 50g layout was ideal, but that's perhaps because I've been using it for so many years.

Another thought was to have the menus with 5 options only, and display 2 items on the leftmost and rightmost columns, and 3 on the inner columns. Then we would assign 5 physical keys to each menu (menu 1 on the left, menu 2 to the right of the cursors). But it was too many keys lost for the menus (just to be clear, the idea was to have Apps, Home, Symb, Plot and Num for Menu 1, and the keys on the other side for Menu 2).
Also, having menus with 5 items per page messes with the organization of the menus, then developers would need to create menus for a 5-item configuration and different menus for the 6-item config.
It wouldn't be good for interoperability between calc models which is a constraint that I personally imposed on newRPL and I'm not ready to let go. If you create a program for newRPL, it MUST run with no changes on all hardware platforms.
05-06-2021, 07:51 PM
(05-06-2021 07:43 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 05:19 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  We're u thinking the layout would look like this? I wonder if the color screen could be used for differentiation between the inner and outer menus?

Yes, exactly like that. It would make it easier to find the key that goes with the item, but then you have the menus split in half, I don't know how that will impact the usefulness (having let's say Vars to the left and right, then a menu in the inner columns in my head will make it confusing to use the vars menu. Right now I have the menus grouped together to the left (as in the picture), and I find it confusing. If you use touch there's no confusion at all, but I'm a bit hard-headed into using physical keys for at least one menu.
Of course, the 50g layout was ideal, but that's perhaps because I've been using it for so many years.

Another thought was to have the menus with 5 options only, and display 2 items on the leftmost and rightmost columns, and 3 on the inner columns. Then we would assign 5 physical keys to each menu (menu 1 on the left, menu 2 to the right of the cursors). But it was too many keys lost for the menus (just to be clear, the idea was to have Apps, Home, Symb, Plot and Num for Menu 1, and the keys on the other side for Menu 2).
Also, having menus with 5 items per page messes with the organization of the menus, then developers would need to create menus for a 5-item configuration and different menus for the 6-item config.
It wouldn't be good for interoperability between calc models which is a constraint that I personally imposed on newRPL and I'm not ready to let go. If you create a program for newRPL, it MUST run with no changes on all hardware platforms.
I suppose that would complicate things - including the use of color since that might cause issues for any devs that have written progs for newRPL. Is there a repository of programs created for newRPL? It didn't occur to me that there were some floating around out there...
05-07-2021, 06:32 AM
(05-06-2021 07:51 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I suppose that would complicate things - including the use of color since that might cause issues for any devs that have written progs for newRPL. Is there a repository of programs created for newRPL? It didn't occur to me that there were some floating around out there...

Color is coming to all platforms. Some won't be able to display it but should be able to generate plot files that you can open and view either on the PC or Prime in full color.
05-08-2021, 09:46 PM
Claudio, is there a preview version of the G1 port, that we may try out, on the understanding that it's at an early stage? Or even help out with testing?

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
05-09-2021, 02:04 AM
(05-08-2021 09:46 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  Claudio, is there a preview version of the G1 port, that we may try out, on the understanding that it's at an early stage? Or even help out with testing?

I second this. I bought a G1 purely to do newRPL with, I'd love to test it.
06-06-2021, 12:53 PM
Hey do you know why 3.5 CEIL gives -4? I think I should be 4. On 50g, gives 4 correctly I think.

More examples
4.5 CEIL -> -5
13.1 CEIL -> -14
And beyond..

06-06-2021, 07:30 PM
(06-06-2021 12:53 PM)BINUBALL Wrote:  Hey do you know why 3.5 CEIL gives -4? I think I should be 4. On 50g, gives 4 correctly I think.

More examples
4.5 CEIL -> -5
13.1 CEIL -> -14
And beyond..

Unbelievable bug. Right in our faces for how many years!!

Thanks for reporting! Keep them coming. We'll soon issue an updated ROM.
06-07-2021, 03:39 AM
I'm looking forward to build 1456. Finally newRPL on Prime?
And which rule for deciding build number? I'm curious about that.

06-07-2021, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2021 03:05 PM by compsystems.)
Hello, speaking of the CEILING and FLOOR functions.
In UNICODE times, it would be great if we could code in RPL with the real math symbols.
-3.8 CEILING or
-3.8 ⌈⌉ [enter] -3
-3.8 ⌊⌋ [enter] -4
{ 1,2,3} {3,4,56} ∩ [enter] 3

PHP Code:
CEILING⌈⌉
FLOOR
,  ⌊⌋
+ (sum)
- (
subtraction)
×, * (multiplication)
÷, / (division)
^, ** (
power)

Logical op

AND, (conjunction
OR,  
∨ (disjunction)
NOT¬ (negation

relational OP
== (equal)> 
, !=, <> (different)
<(
minor)
, <= (less than or equal)
> (
mayor)
, >= (greater than or equal)

others

06-07-2021, 02:57 PM
Unit tests! If you give us a framework we can help with implementing unit tests for each function. The mathematical functions shouldn't have any side effects and it should be easy to implement (although a lot of work to implement all unit tests, knowing all special cases etc).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)