Apparent bug in unread post(s) indication
03-08-2021, 07:35 PM
Apparent bug in unread post(s) indication
AFAIK, when there is an unread message in a forum, that forum's name has an arrow icon to its left in the forums index. This applies to all the forums except the "HP Software Libraries" forums. For example, even though I don't see any unread posts in the "General Software Library", it still has an arrow icon to its left in the forums index and the icon never goes away ( the same applies to the "HP Prime Software Library" ).

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Is it a bug or am I doing something stupid, or, is it my browser and/or platform messing things up?

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2021, 08:00 PM
RE: Apparent bug in unread post(s) indication
The software libraries are sorted alphabetically by default. At the bottom of the page you can change it to sort by date to see the latest post(s).

My Collection: 55, 67T, 25PLP, 34C, 15C, 16C, 41CV, 41CX, 41-CL, DM41X, DM42, 42S, 48G, 71B, 75C, 95LX, HP-150, Portable+, HP-86, Integral PC.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2021, 08:13 PM
(03-08-2021 08:00 PM)twoweims Wrote:  The software libraries are sorted alphabetically by default. At the bottom of the page you can change it to sort by date to see the latest post(s).

Oops Blush I never even noticed the small note at the top of the page : "The default sorting for the software libraries is alphabetical. If you wish to find recent entries, use the "Sort by" drop down at the bottom."

After sorting by "last post" and "descending" everything works fine now -- my absent minded stupidity strikes again Blush Thanks for the tip Smile

Regards,

Jonathan

03-08-2021, 11:51 PM
(03-08-2021 08:13 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  Oops Blush I never even noticed the small note at the top of the page : "The default sorting for the software libraries is alphabetical. If you wish to find recent entries, use the "Sort by" drop down at the bottom."

After sorting by "last post" and "descending" everything works fine now -- my absent minded stupidity strikes again Blush Thanks for the tip Smile

I wish that was the default. I usually just want to see if anything new has been added. I don't find sorting alphabetically by title terribly useful.

— Ian Abbott
03-09-2021, 12:17 AM
(03-08-2021 11:51 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I wish that was the default. I usually just want to see if anything new has been added. I don't find sorting alphabetically by title terribly useful.

Best would be if the ordering you selected would be remembered and be the same next time you visit that forum.

As it is now, it always defaults to the alphabetical order, never remembers the ordering you previously selected, which is a nuissance and a waste of time.

V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

03-12-2021, 09:08 PM
(03-09-2021 12:17 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  
(03-08-2021 11:51 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I wish that was the default. I usually just want to see if anything new has been added. I don't find sorting alphabetically by title terribly useful.

Best would be if the ordering you selected would be remembered and be the same next time you visit that forum.

As it is now, it always defaults to the alphabetical order, never remembers the ordering you previously selected, which is a nuissance and a waste of time.

V.

I'm not a web developer, but couldn't the ability to remember the sorting preferences be fixed relatively easily with cookies? I assume that the web site remembering whether one is logged in or not and what one sees as new posts etc. are already implemented in this manner.

Regards,

Jonathan

03-15-2021, 07:20 AM
This has been asked for several times in the past and never implemented.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
03-15-2021, 10:54 PM
I believe I can set it by date if that's what everyone wants.
03-16-2021, 03:00 AM
(03-15-2021 10:54 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  I believe I can set it by date if that's what everyone wants.

I think so. That would make the libraries act like all the other Forum areas, and mercifully would avoid threads like this one every few months. Smile

--Bob Prosperi
03-16-2021, 07:17 AM
(03-15-2021 10:54 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  I believe I can set it by date if that's what everyone wants.

Yes, please.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
03-16-2021, 07:37 AM
I fully support that proposition.
03-16-2021, 11:21 AM

I would very much welcome this change!
03-16-2021, 03:52 PM

Yes, please
03-16-2021, 04:04 PM

Please do. It makes so much more sense when trying to locate a new topic in those patricular fora.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
03-18-2021, 07:01 PM

Thanks so much Dave! Big Grin It works perfectly now Smile

Regards,

Jonathan

03-20-2021, 02:00 AM
OK, it looks like most people (except possibly the previous post - I'm not sure about that one) wanted a change, so they are now newest first like the other forums.
03-20-2021, 04:52 PM
(03-20-2021 02:00 AM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  OK, it looks like most people (except possibly the previous post - I'm not sure about that one) wanted a change, so they are now newest first like the other forums.

Thanks^1E6, Dave!

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
03-20-2021, 05:36 PM
(03-20-2021 04:52 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Thanks^1E6, Dave!
1 +
03-20-2021, 06:22 PM
(03-20-2021 02:00 AM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  OK, it looks like most people (except possibly the previous post - I'm not sure about that one) wanted a change, so they are now newest first like the other forums.

Possibly stupid question ( or more likely, probably ), but would that be my post? I was in support of the change to the default sort order for the software library forums from alphabetical to most recently changed Smile Is there something in my post that would have implied otherwise? Blush If so, I apologize for any confusion Blush

Again, thanks so much for changing it Smile

Thanks and regards,

Jonathan

03-20-2021, 06:35 PM
Yes - you said: "It works perfectly now" but I was still waiting for comments and hadn't actually changed anything at that time so I wasn't sure.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)