Solve App and Plot
06-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Solve App and Plot
If I recall correctly, it used to be possible in the previous firmware to have multiple functions checked (say, E1, E2), and plot them together.

It appears that something is broken. An attempt to plot returns the error message "No Functions checked." But they are checked. ???

(if only one equation is checked in Symb view, that will plot)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2014, 03:16 PM
RE: Solve App and Plot
(06-07-2014 02:33 PM)Helge Gabert Wrote:  If I recall correctly, it used to be possible in the previous firmware to have multiple functions checked (say, E1, E2), and plot them together.

It appears that something is broken. An attempt to plot returns the error message "No Functions checked." But they are checked. ???

(if only one equation is checked in Symb view, that will plot)

I just tried both prior 5447 and current firmware on emulators. Neither seemed to allow multiple E1, E2 error plots at the same time. Individually yes. Would be a nice feature if they could add it though.
06-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks for checking . . . I guess I must have remembered simultaneous plotting in Advanced Graphing, and not in Solve.
06-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Two of the things I'd like to see in the Solve app would be:

- A "rotate" menu key in the plot view that would cycle the horizontal / independent variable through the variables used in the plotted expression(s).

- A Plot-Table-like view which shows, on the right, the values of all variables used in the plotted expression(s), along with some mechanism for entering new values. (Possible bonus: allow for old plots — those with old values — to be shown as "ghosts" rather than completely removed.)
06-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Good ideas!

May I also suggest that the HP-48/49/50 SOLVESYS library by Sune Bredahl (downloadable from hpcalc.org), might serve as a good model, should the HP development team choose to improve the Prime Solve app.

SOLVESYS is very fast, also accepts complex number inputs (and complex solutions, if checked), and has excellent diagnostics. (For example, the Solve app in its current form has no diagnostics whatsoever for multiple equation solving).
06-07-2014, 08:06 PM
(06-07-2014 07:09 PM)Helge Gabert Wrote:  Good ideas!

May I also suggest that the HP-48/49/50 SOLVESYS library by Sune Bredahl (downloadable from hpcalc.org), might serve as a good model, should the HP development team choose to improve the Prime Solve app.

SOLVESYS is very fast, also accepts complex number inputs (and complex solutions, if checked), and has excellent diagnostics. (For example, the Solve app in its current form has no diagnostics whatsoever for multiple equation solving).

I agree ! I often use SolveSys on my 50G... To take as a model.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)