12C Platinum vs. 48GX vs. 50g (Speed Test)
10-05-2020, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2020 08:32 PM by pier4r.)
RE: 12C Platinum vs. 48GX vs. 50g (Speed Test)
(10-02-2020 06:38 AM)JDW Wrote:  I still would appreciate knowing why there is an orange "OFF" label silkscreened above the ON button on the 12CP even though there is no need to press f and then ON to turn it off like other HP calculators. You just press ON once to turn it on and then press ON again to turn it off. Why then the orange "OFF" mark?

Well, not knowing much of details about the 12C

https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap...i?read=225

Then with those functions (that maybe aren't super speedy) one can try the summation benchmark https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9750.html having the other results already ready.

Edit: just read that for large X the results are heavily inaccurate, but at least one can get an idea of the timings.

edit2: https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap...i?read=487 this may help too.

edit3: also valentin gave his contribution! http://www.hpcc.org/datafile/hp12/12c_Tr...ctions.pdf

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2020, 09:21 PM
(10-04-2020 02:34 AM)brickviking Wrote:  Unicode U+2277 will show this: x≷y

Precisely why in my post where I present the modified and improved key-in sequence I wrote it as x><y because it is merely the greater than symbol sitting atop the less than symbol. The original mention of "x<->y" is totally and utterly confusing because it appears you are almost saying the exact opposite.
10-05-2020, 10:47 PM
(10-05-2020 09:21 PM)JDW Wrote:  

Precisely why in my post where I present the modified and improved key-in sequence I wrote it as x><y because it is merely the greater than symbol sitting atop the less than symbol. The original mention of "x<->y" is totally and utterly confusing because it appears you are almost saying the exact opposite.

These days, this is most often written as "X<>Y" (without the dash in the middle), due to the initial appearance of the the "X<>" function in the 41C and most of it's RPN successors.

--Bob Prosperi
10-06-2020, 12:14 AM
(10-05-2020 10:47 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  These days, this is most often written as "X<>Y" (without the dash in the middle), due to the initial appearance of the the "X<>" function in the 41C and most of it's RPN successors.

Can you explain why that standard exists? Even then, it doesn't make logical sense unless you know that is the standard convention and know the logic behind it. To my eyes, if you examine what is printed on the keys, it says exactly this:

x>
 <y

You see ">" directly above "<" and therefore my preferred way of writing it as "x><y" makes more sense in terms of what is printed on the actual key. So if someone who knows nothing of standard conventions looks at my way of describing it, they would rather quickly find the key. But if one described it another way (either the way the original author described it or as you have), the same question I put forth would be put forth by them.

All said, I modified the steps to allow the casual reader to make more sense of what specific keys on the 12C are being described. Call it "the dummies guide to keying in this code." :-)
10-06-2020, 12:33 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2020 12:33 AM by rprosperi.)
I'm not saying you're wrong, only that when HP created the "X Exchange with (something you fill in)" command for the 41C series (p. 145 in the 41C manual), they created the mnemonic "X<>" to represent that. Once established, good or bad, it was repeated and just seemed to stick.

But I'd say if you post programs with "X><Y" in lieu of "X<>Y", nearly everyone will get what you mean and never think twice about it.

--Bob Prosperi
10-06-2020, 08:25 PM
(10-05-2020 09:21 PM)JDW Wrote:  

I guess it is because another way to represent swapping two values is with a double-headed arrow, and <-> resembles a double-headed arrow (which can be further simplified to <>).

— Ian Abbott

User(s) browsing this thread: 15 Guest(s)