Suggestions needed for new Pygments syntax highlighting lexer for Saturn assembly
08-10-2020, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2020 08:00 PM by Jonathan Busby.)
Suggestions needed for new Pygments syntax highlighting lexer for Saturn assembly
I've been re-working the HP Saturn Wikipedia article and I would like to have the example assembly code section syntax highlighted. This is done with the Python based Pygments library. I have to implement a new lexer for HP Tools / Jazz syntax. This in itself isn't that difficult ( see : https://pygments.org/docs/lexerdevelopment/ ) but I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions for how the elements of the assembly source should be colored. I took a look at the Debug4x syntax highlighter and I don't particularly like its choice of colors, so suggestions are welcome. I need color suggestions for :
  • macros
  • instructions
  • register fields
  • registers
  • comments
  • conditional compilation pseudo-ops
  • labels
  • and possibly some other things that I've forgotten to list

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2020, 09:34 AM
RE: Suggestions needed for new Pygments syntax highlighting lexer for Saturn assembly
What do other assembler listing on Wikipedia use?
08-11-2020, 06:55 PM
RE: Suggestions needed for new Pygments syntax highlighting lexer for Saturn assembly
(08-11-2020 09:34 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  What do other assembler listing on Wikipedia use?

AFAIK, on Wikipedia, most of the assembly language source code examples use the "<syntaxhighlight>" tag ( See here ) which uses the Pygments library.

I do have my own syntax highlighting preferences but I'd like a scheme that the majority of the HP Saturn assembly community could agree on.

Regards,

Jonathan

08-12-2020, 01:10 AM
(08-11-2020 06:55 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  I do have my own syntax highlighting preferences but I'd like a scheme that the majority of the HP Saturn assembly community could agree on.

There is little agreement here on which tools or even on which syntax should be used for Saturn Assembly coding; seeking agreement on syntax highlighting could be pushing the envelope... Big Grin but it's good to try!

--Bob Prosperi
08-12-2020, 07:05 PM
(08-12-2020 01:10 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 06:55 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  I do have my own syntax highlighting preferences but I'd like a scheme that the majority of the HP Saturn assembly community could agree on.

There is little agreement here on which tools or even on which syntax should be used for Saturn Assembly coding; seeking agreement on syntax highlighting could be pushing the envelope... Big Grin but it's good to try!

You're probably right Undecided How about I use my custom GtkSourceView library syntax highlighting preferences which I use with Xed and Gedit and whatnot and then post a sample for everyone to see? I mostly use the libgtksourceview 3.0 default colors.

Regards,

Jonathan

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)