Problem with the HP connectivity kit
07-03-2020, 11:44 AM
Problem with the HP connectivity kit
Hi all,
It involves installing apps on my Prime. Installing programs is fine, but apps will not work. It is more like a game of chance to install an app. How can you reliably install an app? I use the connectivity kit on a MAC OS X. Can anyone help me with this problem? Sincerely, Karel.

I use HP-16C, WP-34S emulator, HP-35s, HP-48GX, HP-50g, and HP Prime G2.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2020, 05:54 PM
RE: Problem with the HP connectivity kit
Can you give us a link to the app you are trying to install?
I will take a look, I use MacOS also, the CK is particularly unstable on this platform.

Thibault - not collector but in love with the few HP models I own - Also musician : http://walruspark.co
07-03-2020, 11:10 PM
(07-03-2020 05:54 PM)pinkman Wrote:  Can you give us a link to the app you are trying to install?
I will take a look, I use MacOS also, the CK is particularly unstable on this platform.

Dear Pinkman,
Here are the links:
https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7650
https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7575
Sincerely, Karel.

07-04-2020, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2020 12:06 AM by pinkman.)
I tried with SLK.

[edit] I was wrong. Drag and drop following Tim’s directions (message below).

- Download the zip and extract the files
- Locate the [...]/SLK 4_1b_Eng_Esp/English/SLK.hpappdir/ directory
- Drag and drop the 2 App and AppPrgm files in the Application section of your Prime in the CK
- In the file entry of the SLK App in the CK, chose add icon and select the SLK icon, then Save
- Let's go !

Thibault - not collector but in love with the few HP models I own - Also musician : http://walruspark.co
07-04-2020, 11:26 PM
You should always drag and drop the .hpappdir directly. Sending individual files in there will lose things and not send the whole application.

You can normally just drag and drop the zip file itself unless the author has nested it down more then one level.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
07-05-2020, 12:05 AM
Thanks! I edit my previous message.

07-05-2020, 12:13 AM
(07-04-2020 11:26 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  You should always drag and drop the .hpappdir directly. Sending individual files in there will lose things and not send the whole application.

You can normally just drag and drop the zip file itself unless the author has nested it down more then one level.

Dear Mr. Wessman,
That worked! The two applications that didn't load, are now inside my calculator. Thank you very much. Sincerely, Karel.

07-05-2020, 12:20 AM
(07-04-2020 10:55 AM)pinkman Wrote:  - In the file entry of the SLK App in the CK, chose add icon and select the SLK icon, then Save

Dear Pinkman,
What do you mean with "file entry", and how should I choose the icon? I don't understand. Can you be more specific? Sincerely, Karel.

07-05-2020, 04:22 PM
(07-05-2020 12:20 AM)cahlucas Wrote:  
(07-04-2020 10:55 AM)pinkman Wrote:  - In the file entry of the SLK App in the CK, chose add icon and select the SLK icon, then Save

Dear Pinkman,
What do you mean with "file entry", and how should I choose the icon? I don't understand. Can you be more specific? Sincerely, Karel.

Application Library -> SLK -> Files -> right clic on Files -> add app icon

07-05-2020, 06:38 PM
(07-05-2020 04:22 PM)pinkman Wrote:  
(07-05-2020 12:20 AM)cahlucas Wrote:  Dear Pinkman,

Application Library -> SLK -> Files -> right clic on Files -> add app icon

Dear Pinkman,
Yes, now I understand you. Unfortunately, The procedure did not work. There is an icon file, but I don't know if it is the right one. The icon displayed is from the Function app. So, what to do next? Sincerely, Karel.

07-06-2020, 08:59 AM
My last chance: clic on the save icon.
If it doesn’t work I will need a screen capture.

07-06-2020, 09:38 PM
(07-06-2020 08:59 AM)pinkman Wrote:  My last chance: clic on the save icon.
If it doesn’t work I will need a screen capture.

Dear Pinkman,
I erased the old file and then reinstalled it, but again the wrong icon. How do I make a screen capture? Sincerely, Karel.

07-06-2020, 10:52 PM
MacOS screen capture: MAJ+Cmd+5

07-09-2020, 07:40 PM
(07-06-2020 10:52 PM)pinkman Wrote:  MacOS screen capture: MAJ+Cmd+5
Dear Pinkman,
From my MAC, not from my calculator? I use multiple computers via 1 monitor keyboard mouse and switch, which is why I don't have an ordinary English keyboard from Apple. Sincerely, Karel.

07-10-2020, 06:44 AM
Yes from the Mac. Without seeing the CK screen, I can’t understand what’s going wrong with the icon.
There should be a mean to capture the screen, even with an alternate keyboard.

07-11-2020, 01:39 AM
(07-10-2020 06:44 AM)pinkman Wrote:  Yes from the Mac. Without seeing the CK screen, I can’t understand what’s going wrong with the icon.
There should be a mean to capture the screen, even with an alternate keyboard.

Dear Pinkman,
Attached you will find a screenshot of the leftmost part of the CK, with an image of the icon.png file above it. As you can see the file is OK, but on Prime the icon of the Function app is still visible. How can this problem be solved? Sincerely, Karel.

07-14-2020, 03:10 AM
Quote:Attached you will find a screenshot of the leftmost part of the CK, with an image of the icon.png file above it. As you can see the file is OK, but on Prime the icon of the Function app is still visible. How can this problem be solved? Sincerely, Karel.

The reason you see the icon "Function" instead of "SLK" is that you deleted the SLK App and now what shows up on your screen is an empty Ghost SLK app with the "Function" icon, which the "SLK" app is based on.
This is what is being discussed in the link below. Go there and scroll down to Post #10 and you will find a method to reset your calculator to Factory status. Do this with your calculator NOT connected to your Mac. This FCO reset will delete all your programs which you can re-install latter. It will also delete all your Apps except the HP Apps which came with the calculator.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-13914.html

After the FCO reset:
Connect your Calc. to your Mac. Link to the CK.
Open the Calculators Window and the Content Window.
Drag/Drop the SLK.zip file you downloaded from hpcalc.org into the Content Window.
In the Calculators Window open >Applications menu .
From the Content Window Drag/Drop the SLK.zip file into the >Applications menu.
The CK will unzip SLK app and send it to your calc automatically.
The SLK icon will appear on your calc. when you press the Apps key.
Tap the yellow SLK icon and the program should start.

Please read the instructions above a few times slowly before you begin.

BM
07-14-2020, 12:32 PM
Thank you Bernard. I have a G1, so I don’t have the ghost apps problem.
Karel, you can also confirm that you are doing well using the HP Prime app on your Mac. The ghost apps will not appear on this emulator.

07-14-2020, 10:08 PM
Dear Mr. Michaud,
Unfortunately, this also failed. I don't know how it is possible, but the icon is still from function. The icon that is installed is really that of SLK. After I reinstalled everything I reset the calculator, but that didn't work either. What can we do about this? The possibilities are now shrinking. I hope to hear something soon. Sincerely, Karel.

07-15-2020, 02:44 AM
(07-14-2020 10:08 PM)cahlucas Wrote:  Dear Mr. Michaud,
Unfortunately, this also failed. I don't know how it is possible, but the icon is still from function. The icon that is installed is really that of SLK. After I reinstalled everything I reset the calculator, but that didn't work either. What can we do about this? The possibilities are now shrinking. I hope to hear something soon. Sincerely, Karel.

Hi Karel
Can you describe to me in some detail what you did while you performed the FCO reset from the link and Post #10, at the point where, after you inserted the pin in the pinhole at the back of the calculator while holding the three keys F C O and the screen went black then turning on again? what did you do next? What did you tap next on the screen?

Thanks Bernard

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)