More HP calculators to come?
06-22-2020, 06:05 PM
More HP calculators to come?
Hello,

Curious about the status of the HP calculator division these days. I realize that HP may not announce products to come, but given that:
a) the last new calculator to be introduced was in 2013 and
b) the HP storefront doesn't even list the HP Prime anymore
I'm wondering if we should be jumping ship to Swiss Micros for new/old products?

Steve
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2020, 07:50 PM
RE: More HP calculators to come?
(06-22-2020 06:05 PM)smartin Wrote:  I'm wondering if we should be jumping ship to Swiss Micros for new/old products?

Haven't you already done?
We did.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-22-2020, 11:24 PM
(06-22-2020 07:50 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(06-22-2020 06:05 PM)smartin Wrote:  I'm wondering if we should be jumping ship to Swiss Micros for new/old products?

Haven't you already done?
We did.

I certainly would be interested in the DM41X when it comes out.
06-23-2020, 05:18 AM
(06-22-2020 11:24 PM)smartin Wrote:  
(06-22-2020 07:50 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Haven't you already done?
We did.

I certainly would be interested in the DM41X when it comes out.

You won't regret it.
It's really nice already!

Greetings,
    Massimo

06-23-2020, 10:24 AM
Hello!

I would say it depends what you expect (or require?) from a new calculator. Functionality which current or previous calculators do not provide? What should that be? What is important for you?

So far I do not see anything in a Swiss Micros calculator that the original from HP is not able to do equally well or even better (keyboard!). With the sole exception of the DM42 (better display, mass storage access, precision). To me it does not matter if a calculator is 40 years or 40 days old. On the contrary: From a collector's point of view older is better :-)

Regards
Max
06-23-2020, 10:45 AM
(06-23-2020 10:24 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

I would say it depends what you expect (or require?) from a new calculator. Functionality which current or previous calculators do not provide? What should that be? What is important for you?

So far I do not see anything in a Swiss Micros calculator that the original from HP is not able to do equally well or even better (keyboard!). With the sole exception of the DM42 (better display, mass storage access, precision). To me it does not matter if a calculator is 40 years or 40 days old. On the contrary: From a collector's point of view older is better :-)

Regards
Max

You don't own a DM41X (the calc the OP mentioned), do you? ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

06-23-2020, 11:13 AM
Hello!

(06-23-2020 10:45 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  You don't own a DM41X (the calc the OP mentioned), do you? Wink

No. I am not on frienly-enough terms with it's makers to be given one ahead of the official release...

Regards
Max
06-23-2020, 11:34 AM
(06-23-2020 11:13 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

(06-23-2020 10:45 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  You don't own a DM41X (the calc the OP mentioned), do you? Wink

No. I am not on frienly-enough terms with it's makers to be given one ahead of the official release...

Regards
Max

AFAIK, no one was given a DM41X. The Beta Test was announced, and those that chose to do so purchased a Beta Test DM41X and have been enjoying them.

smp
06-23-2020, 11:50 AM
Hello!

(06-23-2020 11:34 AM)smp Wrote:  AFAIK, no one was given a DM41X. The Beta Test was announced, and those that chose to do so purchased a Beta Test DM41X and have been enjoying them.

This guy here (an irregular poster on this forum too) seems to habe gotten one, at least a beta version: https://isene.org/2020/03/DM41X.html

Regards
Max
06-23-2020, 12:13 PM
(06-23-2020 11:50 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

(06-23-2020 11:34 AM)smp Wrote:  AFAIK, no one was given a DM41X. The Beta Test was announced, and those that chose to do so purchased a Beta Test DM41X and have been enjoying them.

This guy here (an irregular poster on this forum too) seems to habe gotten one, at least a beta version: https://isene.org/2020/03/DM41X.html

Regards
Max

Yes Geir got one, as I did, and there's no mistery: you could join an open list and pay for your (discounted?) limited run beta unit.

Greetings,
    Massimo

06-23-2020, 12:43 PM
Hello!

(06-23-2020 12:13 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  ...you could join an open list a...

Once you know that such a list exists it is of course no mystery :-) I never knew about that, but probably because I am not really interested in modern-time remakes (just as with movies...). Still I value the effort of Swiss Micros who give all those the chance to own an HP calculator who can't get access to the real thing.

Regards
Max
06-23-2020, 01:02 PM
(06-23-2020 12:43 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

(06-23-2020 12:13 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  ...you could join an open list a...

Once you know that such a list exists it is of course no mystery :-) I never knew about that, but probably because I am not really interested in modern-time remakes (just as with movies...). Still I value the effort of Swiss Micros who give all those the chance to own an HP calculator who can't get access to the real thing.

Regards
Max

The DM41X Beta Test was announced in a topic here on this forum:

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-14...#pid126865

This occurred in an ongoing topic anticipating the release of this calculator, but it was announced here nonetheless.

I was following the topic, and I signed up and purchased my Beta DM41X - serial number 00027.

smp
06-23-2020, 01:07 PM
(06-23-2020 12:43 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

Regards
Max

I gladly added my DM41X alongside the other 22+ HP41C* I own, plus clones and derivatives.
I don't usually like remakes, but I am more than happy to help those who spend time on developing them, those who grant us choices, even today. Furthemore this rein-steel-iation is really good (keyboard issues aside, and no direct I/O, at least for now), fast, with plenty of memory, and every module you'd ever need.

Greetings,
    Massimo

06-23-2020, 01:28 PM
Hello!

(06-23-2020 01:07 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  I gladly added my DM41X alongside the other 22+ HP41C* I own, plus clones and derivatives.

I really feel dwarfed now... as I only have 6 or 7 HP-41s ;-) But these are already 6 or 7 more than I actually ever use.

(06-23-2020 01:07 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  I don't usually like remakes, but I am more than happy to help those who spend time on developing them, those who grant us choices, even today. Furthemore this rein-steel-iation is really good (keyboard issues aside, and no direct I/O, at least for now), fast, with plenty of memory, and every module you'd ever need.

Absolutely. I am sure the DM41X is a really good calculator to be actually used. Even better when mass storage access becomes available. Would have helped me a lot in the years 1978 to 1985 or so. Now I do not use calculators any more. Nothing left to calculate. And since my funds are limited I rather stick to collectibles. If one day however Swiss Micros and Panamatik should team-up and make a modern day version of an HP-67 with a luminous display and USB/Bluetooth/WiFi then I will gladly trade one of my real HP-41s for such a DM67x :-)

Saluti
Max
06-23-2020, 02:42 PM
Sorry, but every time I see the DM41X keyboard I'm reminded of a scene from Galaxy Quest:

I guess I'm just too focused on form over function...

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
06-23-2020, 06:27 PM

Definitely good questions worth thinking about. For me, part of the fun is learning about and using older HP calculators, but also discovering new calculators that use modern technology. If the HP calculator division is EOL, then my second goal is not realizable without moving to another manufacturer. Although, I'm limited in that I want to work with an RPN/RPL machine, so this rules out TI and other brands.

(06-23-2020 10:24 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  So far I do not see anything in a Swiss Micros calculator that the original from HP is not able to do equally well or even better (keyboard!). With the sole exception of the DM42 (better display, mass storage access, precision). To me it does not matter if a calculator is 40 years or 40 days old. On the contrary: From a collector's point of view older is better :-)

Regards
Max

Presumably modern CPUs make the Swiss Micros calculators faster than the original HPs (I do not have any Swiss Micros calculators but I'm looking forward to the DM41x)?
06-23-2020, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2020 06:39 PM by smartin.)
(06-23-2020 02:42 PM)mfleming Wrote:  Sorry, but every time I see the DM41X keyboard I'm reminded of a scene from Galaxy Quest:

I guess I'm just too focused on form over function...

Smile

I sure hope this situation improves, for me one of the most important aspects of a calculator is the keyboard (my first HP calculator was a 41, and it had me at the first button press Smile).
06-24-2020, 01:55 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2020 10:28 AM by DM48.)

Regards
Max

I have two programs that run and take minutes on a 48GX. One is now on the DM42 and is instant (special thanks to Werner and Albert for all the help). Sometimes I have to run the calcs hundreds of times per day. Most days I don't. But if I need the speed and want a physical calculator to run the calcs on, it's a DM42 for me.

I look forward to the WP43s. One thing is for sure, I will always love and prefer my 48GX, but I have decided to learn and dive all in on the DM42 and Free42 (I also purchased an HP42s). This was spurred on my the slow demise of m48+ app on my iPhone (which may be revived at some point). I can't be caught without a RPN calculator and wish one day for a DM48.

Of course, if HP would pull their head out of their underwear, they could release a 48G in smaller form factor without much trouble. The keyboard is my only con to the DM42 but we have to take what we can get when HP isn’t going to give us what we want.

HP48GX, HP42s and DM42.
06-24-2020, 06:58 AM
(06-24-2020 01:55 AM)DM48 Wrote:  ...
This was spurred on my the slow demise of m48+ app on my iPhone (which may be revived at some point). I can't be caught without a RPN calculator and wish one day for a DM48.

Me too. I keep my HP48SX or 48G handy at my desk but I don't have them when I am out. m48+ is the main reason my iPhone SE is still running IOS 10. i48 is ok but it has no import/export capabilities and misses keystrokes. I hope m48+ comes back to IOS.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)