Owner of MoHPC
06-14-2020, 09:16 PM
Owner of MoHPC
Hello,

for me MoHPC is like a Wikipedia about Calculators.
But who own this website? Do they care for it, so that I can learn from it over the next 200 years?

All the best for all members of this wonderful forum!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2020, 09:32 PM
RE: Owner of MoHPC
The curator can be contacted by clicking on one of the links at the bottom of the page, or here.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/contact.htm

Enjoy other aspects of the museum via the below links.
06-14-2020, 10:02 PM
(06-14-2020 09:16 PM)Uli Wrote:  Do they care for it, so that I can learn from it over the next 200 years?
"Who wants to live forever?" came into my mind when reading this;-)

Waaayy off-topic, but: Still undecided.
If you know the secret, don't hesitate to share:-)

-- Ray
06-14-2020, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2020 10:23 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(06-14-2020 10:02 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  "Who wants to live forever?" came into my mind when reading this;-)

From Queen in general or Highlander?

That reminds me, I need to oil my katana.
06-14-2020, 11:10 PM
(06-14-2020 10:02 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  
(06-14-2020 09:16 PM)Uli Wrote:  Do they care for it, so that I can learn from it over the next 200 years?
"Who wants to live forever?" came into my mind when reading this;-)

Waaayy off-topic, but: Still undecided.
If you know the secret, don't hesitate to share:-)

I used to want to live forever but now with all my friends and family gone and the reputations of heroes I grew up learning about being trashed, this increasingly seems like a bad idea.

Tom L
Cui bono?
06-15-2020, 01:55 AM
Quote:"Who wants to live forever?" [...]

Quoting from The Silmarillion:

"But the sons of Men die indeed, and leave the world [...]. Death is their fate, the gift of Ilúvatar, which as Time wears even the Powers shall envy."

So it seems even "the Powers" eventually wouldn't.

V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-15-2020, 03:50 AM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2020 05:24 AM by RMollov.)
(06-14-2020 11:10 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I used to want to live forever but now with all my friends and family gone and the reputations of heroes I grew up learning about being trashed, this increasingly seems like a bad idea.
Brilliantly said!
Cheers,
06-15-2020, 09:27 AM
(06-15-2020 01:55 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  So it seems even "the Powers" eventually wouldn't.

Perfect moment for Walter to chime in...

,-)
06-15-2020, 03:26 PM
(06-14-2020 10:22 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(06-14-2020 10:02 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  "Who wants to live forever?" came into my mind when reading this;-)

From Queen in general or Highlander?

I was thinking of Starship Troopers.
06-19-2020, 07:55 AM
Hello forum fans,

Never mind, a lot of philosophers told us, one aim of philosophy is to learn to die (please don't understand it as a users handbook of suicide! It is meant as an acceptance of moribundity). But I learned: If you have a hobbyhorse, life is definitly too short. It is a disaster: you have to decide: Riding a hobbyhorse or being a good philosopher. And how unlucky would be a philosopher with a hobbyhorse...?

So what: Live an let die (@Paul McCartney)!

OMG, the thread is totally captured!
06-19-2020, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2020 01:44 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(06-19-2020 07:55 AM)peacecalc Wrote:  So what: Live an let die (@Paul McCartney)!

@Ian Fleming

Edit:
Bond Trivia:
* While a full-length movie, From a View to a Kill wasn't based on a novel, but a short story
* In The Spy Who Loved Me, James Bond's name is never mentioned
06-22-2020, 07:36 PM
(06-15-2020 01:55 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  
Quote:"Who wants to live forever?" [...]

Quoting from The Silmarillion:

"But the sons of Men die indeed, and leave the world [...]. Death is their fate, the gift of Ilúvatar, which as Time wears even the Powers shall envy."

So it seems even "the Powers" eventually wouldn't.

V.

[begin off-topic logorrhea]

Another Tolkien fan! Big Grin I don't remember the exact quote, but Eru Iluvatar said that indeed death was a gift for men ( humans in Middle Earth / Arda ( If you want to include Valinor as well, before Iluvatar made the World spherical and destroyed Numenor Smile ) ) and that the place where human souls went after death was a secret, even to the Valar ( The "Powers" to which you refer, which may also include the Maia ), until the ending of the World Smile I've read Tolkien's "The Book of Lost Tales", "The Silmarillion", "The Hobbit", "The Lord of the Rings", "The Book of Unfinished Tales" and "The Children of Hurin", but not the "History of Middle Earth" series. AFAIK, there are still mountains of unpublished and/or un-edited material that Christopher Tolkien, J.R.R. Tolkien's son, was still in the process of sorting through, but unfortunately he passed away not too long ago Sad I hope there is more material to be released but I don't know who is now in charge of Tolkien's estate and their level of knowledge w.r.t. Tolkien's writings.

[/end off-topic logorrhea]

On-topic, I don't really think that HP will ever again release a calculator in the same vein as say the HP-41, HP-42S or HP48, but, be assured that many people ( including me Smile ) are doing their part to make sure that certain HP calculators and/or operating environments are "immortal" Wink

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
06-23-2020, 01:32 AM
Hi, Jonathan:

(06-22-2020 07:36 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  Another Tolkien fan! Big Grin [...] I've read Tolkien's "The Book of Lost Tales", "The Silmarillion", "The Hobbit", "The Lord of the Rings", "The Book of Unfinished Tales" and "The Children of Hurin", but not the "History of Middle Earth" series.

Indeed a fan here. I've read "The Lord of the Rings", "The Hobbit" and "The Silmarillion", both in my native Spanish at first and later in the original English, several times. I've also listened to TLOTR leisurely at night in bed (as I do have audio versions as well).

TLOTR is superb, of course, but "The Silmarillion" is the one I read and re-read the most, it utterly enthralls me. Here's hoping they'll make a high-cost movie of it sometime in the near future, at least some of the best parts. Or a TV series, if nothing else ...

Quote:[...] material that Christopher Tolkien, J.R.R. Tolkien's son, was still in the process of sorting through, but unfortunately he passed away not too long ago Sad

I didn't know, how sad Sad My condolences to the family.

Quote:On-topic, I don't really think that HP will ever again release a calculator in the same vein as say the HP-41, HP-42S or HP48

It's not entirely impossible. See what happened with the HP-15C LE, though that was a flawed product. Perhaps they'll release the HP-41CX LE, with a modern CPU and aspect plus massive RAM and USB communications instead of a card reader or tape storage. It would sell like hot pancakes.

Difficult, yes. Improbable, quite. But not impossible.

Regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-23-2020, 06:27 AM
(06-23-2020 01:32 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Here's hoping they'll make a high-cost movie of it sometime in the near future, at least some of the best parts. Or a TV series, if nothing else ...

Your wish has been granted!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_o...TV_series)

"The Lord of the Rings is expected to premiere on Prime Video in 2021."

"The Lord of the Rings is an upcoming web television series based on the novel of the same name by J. R. R. Tolkien.[1] It was developed by J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay for the streaming service Prime Video, and is set in the Second Age of Middle-earth before the events of the Lord of the Rings novel and films. The series is produced by Amazon Studios in cooperation with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins, and New Line Cinema, with Payne and McKay serving as showrunners."

11C 12C 15C 17BII 18C 19BII 21 25 27S 28S 32E 32S 32SII 33C 33S 34S 35S 38C 39gs 39GII 40gs 41C 41CV 41CX 42S 45 48G+ 48GII 49G 49G+ 50 67 71B 97

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)