What should be my next LED HP calculator?
06-05-2020, 02:10 PM
What should be my next LED HP calculator?
Not sure what it is, maybe that my home is sort of dimly lit, but I really like my two HP calculators with LED displays. The HP 34C (at least the one I have) is really nice for some quick calculations, with an excellent display and I like the solver. My HP 67 is just a brilliant layout overall, particularly for programming, available software etc.

So which one is the next LED calculator I should be on the lookout for? Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2020, 02:51 PM
RE: What should be my next LED HP calculator?
You have a Classic and a Spice. Woodstock is missing from your collection. Be on the lookout for a nice HP-25, then consider the addition of a Woodstock Low Power upgrade.
06-05-2020, 03:51 PM
A 19C, to add a miniprinter and a nice display.
Or go the extra mile and get a 97, fully compatible with your 67, printer, soft keyboard and great LEDs!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2020, 03:56 PM
Hi, Trond:

(06-05-2020 02:10 PM)Trond Wrote:  So which one is the next LED calculator I should be on the lookout for? Smile

First of all, welcome to the MoHPC fora, you're bound for a very nice experience here. Smile

As for your question, may I suggest the three following models:

1) HP-25C: (the non-C version is pictured below):

[Image: HP%20Picture%20VA252%20-%20HP-25%20-%20DSC02383.jpg]

A wonderful little machine, reasonably inexpensive even on auction sites, which is a pleasure to use. See the wonders it can do here (7-page PDF document): Long Live the HP-25 !

If possible, get the HP-25C version instead of the original HP-25, as it'll keep your programs intact while turned off, saving a lot of keystrokes and hassle.

2) HP-29C:

[Image: HP%20Picture%20VA293%20-%20HP-29C%20-%20JLP1040323.jpg]

Exactly same form factor as the HP-25C but much more capable: twice as much program memory (98 steps), 30 storage registers instead of just 8, subroutines (at long last !!), indirection, loops, labels, insert/delete program steps and other goodies.

Probably harder to find and more expensive but honestly quite worth it. It was my dream machine at the time of its release. There's also a functionally identical but printing vesion, the HP-19C, but that one is really hard to find in good shape and usually much more expensive.

3) HP-55:

[Image: HP%20Picture%20VA552%20-%20HP-55%20-%20FPHP551.jpg]

A classic machine that oozes quality. It has many data registers (20), lots of mathematical and conversion functions, 49 (mostly unmerged) program steps, and a unique feature: an accurate quartz-based chronometer with 0.01 sec. resolution and the ability to take up to 10 splits while running, which can later be recalled and operated upon with the also available time-related functions.

Happy choice !

V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

06-05-2020, 04:07 PM
I second Dave Frederickson's recommendation of a Woodstock, converted to an LP. You just can't beat the form factor of the woodstocks.
06-05-2020, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2020 06:08 PM by aurelio.)
What a presentation, Valentin, really nice pics Smile
Compliments!
06-05-2020, 07:00 PM
I'd vote for a 45. It's (relatively) inexpensive, has lovely keys (you may need to open it and clean the contacts), a fantastic display with wide viewing angle and all 10+2 digits, and is just a great scientific calculator with a well-rounded set of functions. Plus you can drop in a Classic emulator board to "upgrade" it to a 55 or 65 if you so desire:

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9847.html
06-05-2020, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions folks!

I'm looking at several of these. I don't have any calculator with a printer. How is the build quality on the 19C?
06-05-2020, 11:24 PM
How is the build quality on the 19C?

Build quality is fine, but I found this model the most difficult (tedious) model to repair. YMMV
06-06-2020, 12:09 AM
The HP-29C is excellent. I still have my original, still working great. It had a lot more to offer than the HP-25C..
06-06-2020, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2020 06:45 AM by Geoff Quickfall.)
1). A 29 with a GPS with time clock, Dynamic GPS lat and Lon programmable capability, count up and down timer/chronograph, infrared printer capability, and multiple mergeable 99 line prgrams. Panamatik ACT replacement:

[Image: IMG_2508_zps3sje4d0z.jpg]

Make sure to read the YouTube posting comments section first then watch the video:

YouTube of the gps in action

All about the ACT by Bernhard

Or

2). A 29 with the real time clock, alpha numeric capability, multiple mergeable 99 line programs. Constants storage, Easter egg quotations, day date year format with one time or multiple alarm setting and piezo buzzer. The HP 29C LP; my favourite LED and user on the flight deck.

Or the hp 25 Panamatik upgrade:

HP 25 with IR printing

Replacing a bad ACT

Then of course there is this one:

[Image: voyagerled.jpg]
06-06-2020, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2020 10:30 AM by aurelio.)
(06-06-2020 04:55 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  1). A 29 with a GPS with time clock, Dynamic GPS lat and Lon programmable capability, count up and down timer/chronograph, infrared printer capability, and multiple mergeable 99 line prgrams. Panamatik ACT replacement:

Make sure to read the YouTube posting comments section first then watch the video:

YouTube of the gps in action

All about the ACT by Bernhard

Or

2). A 29 with the real time clock, alpha numeric capability, multiple mergeable 99 line programs. Constants storage, Easter egg quotations, day date year format with one time or multiple alarm setting and piezo buzzer. The HP 29C LP; my favourite LED and user on the flight deck.

Or the hp 25 Panamatik upgrade:

Then of course there is this one:

whow, Geoff, for all...... Smile
06-06-2020, 11:01 AM
I suggest the HP-55. I t was my first calculator love!!! Despite its rather limited programming steps (which I learned to use to the last step in calculating all kinds of series-based functions) it has twenty registers, a stop watch, and a wealth of math/stat functions. I chose it in 1975 because where I lived in the Middle East there was no HP office to repair calculators (there was an HP office though to sell computers to the local government). I was looking at the HP-65 but feared the failure of the card reader, so I chose the HP-55 where I can access all that functionality by simply turning on the calculator.

Namir
06-06-2020, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2020 01:16 PM by aurelio.)
I should look for a 25, looking forward for a Bernhard's upgrade..so little so powerful
But for the '97 if you don't want a pocket one, I'm with Massimo: a chance as he wrote to share the 67's programs you already have and really very nice leds
06-08-2020, 03:26 AM
By the way, what's a Low Power upgrade?
06-08-2020, 04:05 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2020 04:06 AM by Geoff Quickfall.)
An incredible upgrade of the Woodstock’s bringing them into the 21st century:

Read up here:

Woodstock low power upgrade: manual
12-05-2021, 04:06 AM
Bumping this thread to update: I finally got myself an HP-55

Now there's a slight issue; the machine looks very good for its age, but all the decimal point lights will sometimes flash up. Has anyone experienced this before? Some bad connection somewhere perhaps? Otherwise it seems to work just fine.
12-05-2021, 04:16 AM
Probably (hopefully) low battery indication if all are lighting.

You might be able to test this by keying in a lot of 8's to light up the display and load the battery.

cheers

Tony
12-05-2021, 04:40 AM
It seems to only be happening when running on battery power, not when it is plugged in. It does seem to be a bit affected by the angle I hold the calculator when it's unplugged.
12-05-2021, 04:44 AM
Maybe the battery is a bit loose against the two terminals.

Dirty power switch?

cheers

Tony

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)