Help with OS/X and HP-IL on 41CL
05-28-2020, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2020 12:53 AM by twoweims.)
Help with OS/X and HP-IL on 41CL
I have been using my 41CL with the OS/X (OSX3) module plugged into page 7 without issues.

Recently I was lucky enough to get an HP-IL Module, an HP 5384 Frequency Counter and an HP 3468 Multimeter. The module and the instruments work fine.

The problem is that when I move the OS/X module from page 7 to any other page it loses some functionality. I am unable to use the Enhanced Catalogs or the Extended XEQ and ASN Functions. I can execute individual functions and the prompt lengthener works.

This is my first experience with an HP-IL Module so I must be doing something wrong.
OS/X should be compatible with the HP-IL Module since the enhanced catalog has functions to list the HP-IL Catalog.

Is OS/X only compatible with page 7?
I would like to keep pages 6 & 7 open so I can use HP-IL or my IR Printer module as needed.

UPDATE: I have verified this behavior on two different CL's. Both are V5 with the 5/2/2020 Updates.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2020, 02:20 AM
RE: Help with OS/X and HP-IL on 41CL
Be aware that the 3468 stores it's calibration factors in a battery-backed RAM. After a few decades the CAL RAM battery has a tendency to die. It's possible to backup the calibration data so that the battery can be replaced. Here's a program for the 71B.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-80...l#pid71024

As your DMM isn't reporting any issues during the power-on self test that means the CAL RAM battery is still good. If the battery fails the DMM will revert to default calibration factors.
Find all posts by this user
05-28-2020, 05:03 AM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2020 05:04 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(05-28-2020 12:19 AM)twoweims Wrote:  The problem is that when I move the OS/X module from page 7 to any other page it loses some functionality. I am unable to use the Enhanced Catalogs or the Extended XEQ and ASN Functions. I can execute individual functions and the prompt lengthener works.

Is OS/X only compatible with page 7?
I would like to keep pages 6 & 7 open so I can use HP-IL or my IR Printer module as needed.

This issue is not related to the HP-IL but to the way the I/O interrupts are processed (or not) by other modules in the bus above the OSX. In particular the YFNX (and possibly the YFNS too) don't seem to pass it along properly, therefore they need to be in a lower page than the OSX3. Make sure you have them plugged with this condition and check if the issue is gone.
05-28-2020, 01:50 PM
(05-28-2020 02:20 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Be aware that the 3468 stores it's calibration factors in a battery-backed RAM. After a few decades the CAL RAM battery has a tendency to die. It's possible to backup the calibration data so that the battery can be replaced. Here's a program for the 71B.

As your DMM isn't reporting any issues during the power-on self test that means the CAL RAM battery is still good. If the battery fails the DMM will revert to default calibration factors.

Is there any way to back up this data using an HP-41?
05-28-2020, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2020 01:54 PM by twoweims.)
(05-28-2020 05:03 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  This issue is not related to the HP-IL but to the way the I/O interrupts are processed (or not) by other modules in the bus above the OSX. In particular the YFNX (and possibly the YFNS too) don't seem to pass it along properly, therefore they need to be in a lower page than the OSX3. Make sure you have them plugged with this condition and check if the issue is gone.

Thanks Ángel!
That did the trick. I suspected it was something along those lines. I probably should have tried this before posting here.
05-28-2020, 04:44 PM
(05-28-2020 01:50 PM)twoweims Wrote:  
(05-28-2020 02:20 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Be aware that the 3468 stores it's calibration factors in a battery-backed RAM. After a few decades the CAL RAM battery has a tendency to die. It's possible to backup the calibration data so that the battery can be replaced. Here's a program for the 71B.

Is there any way to back up this data using an HP-41?

Translate the BASIC program to FOCAL. Sorry, but that's not my area of expertise.
07-25-2020, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2020 09:31 PM by twoweims.)
(05-28-2020 04:44 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(05-28-2020 01:50 PM)twoweims Wrote:  Is there any way to back up this data using an HP-41?

Translate the BASIC program to FOCAL. Sorry, but that's not my area of expertise.

I got my PIL-Box in the mail today! Smile
I will try to use ILPer and EMU71 to back up my Calibration RAM.
A new adventure begins...

EDIT: Add photo of EMU71 talking to HP 3468B Multimeter.

It works!
07-26-2020, 12:06 AM
I just had my 3468A calibrated after having replaced the dead battery a few weeks ago. I used my 71B to read the new cal data and save it to a file on my Mac via a Prologic GPIB-USB and the 82169A HPIL-HPIB.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)