Why so few 15C/11C application and program books?
05-25-2020, 02:42 PM
Why so few 15C/11C application and program books?
I've noticed that the 11C and 15C, despite being heaped with (not undue) praise, have relatively few application books and program libraries for them. Is this because the target demographic was more naturally drawn to the 41C, where there was no shortage of modules, books, program libraries, and peripherals, and where the alpha display made programming easier? That's my hunch, but then the 34C (essentially the 15C's predecessor) had a few application books published by HP, and the later Pioneers also had quite a few despite coexisting with the 48.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2020, 03:39 PM
RE: Why so few 15C/11C application and program books?
You're right. I couldn't see any dedicated book to HP-15C programs.
I have some few programs and could post them to be compilied into one HP-15C library, as we have many out there for HP-41.
Best regards
Artur

ARTUR MARIO JUNIOR
BRAZIL
Find all posts by this user
05-26-2020, 01:28 PM
(05-25-2020 02:42 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  I've noticed that the 11C and 15C, despite being heaped with (not undue) praise, have relatively few application books and program libraries for them. Is this because the target demographic was more naturally drawn to the 41C, where there was no shortage of modules, books, program libraries, and peripherals, and where the alpha display made programming easier? That's my hunch, but then the 34C (essentially the 15C's predecessor) had a few application books published by HP, and the later Pioneers also had quite a few despite coexisting with the 48.

Dave, do you have programs for 15C? Would like to work in a book for them?
Artur

ARTUR MARIO JUNIOR
BRAZIL
05-26-2020, 03:52 PM
(05-26-2020 01:28 PM)Artur - Brasil Wrote:  Dave, do you have programs for 15C? Would like to work in a book for them?
Artur

So far I've only done a small handful myself, and they're typically conversions of programs I've written/found for other calculators. If I come up with anything particularly novel or interesting, I'll be sure to add it to the software library forum.
05-26-2020, 05:27 PM
Going back in time 30 years ago a friend I worked with had an old HP book of programs for a different model (67? maybe). It was a gold mine for a student as the logic was the same, Only some commands needed changing for the 15c.

I had made a photocopy of the book but unfortunately it was tossed years ago (flood damage) and my friend has since passed.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap...ead=173191

Great link to visit at the bottom Goeff lists other models to try programs from.

-Bill
05-26-2020, 05:48 PM
I often 'discover' programs, routines, algorithms, etc., for the HP-15C embedded within publications. Although the entirety of these publications is not dedicated to the HP-15C, the material merits perusal. One such publication is SPARC® Architecture, Assembly Language Programming, and C, Richard C. Paul, Prentice Hall (© 1994). Many such 'non-dedicated' or 'partial-dedicated' publications are edifying and worthy reads.

BEST!
SlideRule
05-26-2020, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2020 05:59 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
I have this in my library, granted not a compendium of routines but very helpful.

HP book at Amazon (check the price )

As noted in the above posts, the nice thing about the 15C is that any other keystroke rpn HP machine up to the 15C pretty much do a direct translation.

Minor differences would be the ability to STO X - / + commands versus the machines without that ability.

P.S. this is not my sale!
05-26-2020, 06:12 PM
(05-26-2020 05:56 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  I have this in my library, granted not a compendium of routines but very helpful.

<snip>

That price = Yikes! Smile

-B
05-26-2020, 07:32 PM
(05-26-2020 06:12 PM)BillBee Wrote:  
(05-26-2020 05:56 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  I have this in my library, granted not a compendium of routines but very helpful.

<snip>

That price = Yikes! Smile

-B

Fortunately that one's available in PDF form on the museum DVD/flash drive!
05-26-2020, 07:42 PM
(05-26-2020 07:32 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(05-26-2020 06:12 PM)BillBee Wrote:  That price = Yikes! Smile

-B

Fortunately that one's available in PDF form on the museum DVD/flash drive!

Dave, as soon as I tie up some loose ends here I do believe I have to order a flash drive. Smile

-B
05-26-2020, 08:11 PM
Yes, get the thumb drive, best value!!!!!!
05-26-2020, 08:16 PM
Hi,

The EduCALC index shows a small handful of items:

"An Easy Course in Programming the HP-11C and HP-15C" by Wadman and Coffin (catalogs 23 thru 52)
"ENTER" (translated from the French) by Jean-Daniel Dodin (catalogs 23 thru 59)
"Substantial Programs for the HP-11C and 15C" by Thomas Beers (catalogs 35 thtru 47)

Jake
05-26-2020, 09:07 PM
(05-26-2020 08:16 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  Hi,

"An Easy Course in Programming the HP-11C and HP-15C" by Wadman and Coffin (catalogs 23 thru 52)
"Substantial Programs for the HP-11C and 15C" by Thomas Beers (catalogs 35 thtru 47)

Jake

That last one certainly has me intrigued. I wonder if there are surviving copies out there somewhere.
05-27-2020, 12:38 AM
(05-26-2020 09:07 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(05-26-2020 08:16 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  Hi,

Jake

That last one certainly has me intrigued. I wonder if there are surviving copies out there somewhere.

I've looked for that book for years with no luck. It seems it has not been listed on eBay for 10+ years, though it's possible I missed it; maybe it was not a good seller and few copies remain? Most advanced users at the time gravitated naturally to the 41C, where there was always a plethora of both HP and 3rd-party Books, Solutions Books, Guides, etc.

Thomas Beers was a University Professor at the time, and his son Ted worked for HP, Corvallis in the customer support area. They published several programs together in the HP User's Library and also published "OS-41" a vast collection of 41 Programs with all kinds of utilities, productivity programs, etc. It supposedly had an excellent manual, but I never saw one of those either.

--Bob Prosperi
05-27-2020, 01:40 AM
The HP-15C gear toward to advance scholarship stuff so it got the
HP-15C Advanced Functions Handbook that cover many numerical analysis that includes applications program based on specialized calculations. So this book is just like a Solutions Handbook with detail on functions and computation limit.

I think that since HP-11C already got the Solutions Handbook that can
be use on the 15C so then HP didn’t decide to make it own 15C Solutions
Handbook.

Gamo
05-27-2020, 02:22 AM
(05-27-2020 01:40 AM)Gamo Wrote:  The HP-15C gear toward to advance scholarship stuff so it got the
HP-15C Advanced Functions Handbook that cover many numerical analysis that includes applications program based on specialized calculations. So this book is just like a Solutions Handbook with detail on functions and computation limit.

I think that since HP-11C already got the Solutions Handbook that can
be use on the 15C so then HP didn’t decide to make it own 15C Solutions
Handbook.

Gamo

I agree. The Solutions books are generally "OK" but nothing great. The 11C is better than most, and virtually all of it applied to the 15C as well, so no need to rehash it.

The 15C AFH on the other hand, is a masterpiece, teaching math, use of the 15C advanced functions, numerical analysis techniques, accuracy vs. precision, etc. Every HP owner should have a copy.

--Bob Prosperi
05-27-2020, 11:31 AM
(05-27-2020 02:22 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  The 15C AFH on the other hand, is a masterpiece, teaching math, use of the 15C advanced functions, numerical analysis techniques, accuracy vs. precision, etc. Every HP owner should have a copy.

Funny enough, I found a copy of it at a thrift store for $0.50 a few years back. I tore that place apart looking for an accompanying 15C, but alas, no luck.
05-27-2020, 02:22 PM
I don't know both books, only Advanced one.
Well, but the proposal is to create a repository, online (better) or as a book, as we have so many for HP-41, here in HP Museum and in others sites.

So, we can share programs created for it (and even HP-11C).

Best wishes,
Artur

ARTUR MARIO JUNIOR
BRAZIL
05-27-2020, 02:32 PM
(05-27-2020 02:22 PM)Artur - Brasil Wrote:  Well, but the proposal is to create a repository, online (better) or as a book, as we have so many for HP-41, here in HP Museum and in others sites.

Did you look in the General Software Library on this forum?

You'll find there:
05-27-2020, 04:54 PM
(05-27-2020 02:32 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(05-27-2020 02:22 PM)Artur - Brasil Wrote:  Well, but the proposal is to create a repository, online (better) or as a book, as we have so many for HP-41, here in HP Museum and in others sites.

Did you look in the General Software Library on this forum?

You'll find there:

Oh! Never saw - sorry!!!!

ARTUR MARIO JUNIOR
BRAZIL

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)