newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487]
03-14-2020, 09:27 PM
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1360 [ including official build]
(03-07-2020 01:40 PM)compsystems Wrote:  There is no delay when the answer is displayed, when you press a key

In the physical version of NewRPL will there be a buzzer? Current calculators lose their magic if they are "mute"

While I have some old code of a 3-channel FM synth for the 50g hardware, it is extremely low priority right now.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2020, 09:31 PM
All ROMs, official and unofficial were updated to build 1360.

There's only a few bugs fixed in 1360, but the most important thing is the official release was upgraded to 1360 on Sourceforge.

The new newRPL Desktop has a much more stable firmware update procedure, so please use this new version to update your calcs, it might save you a headache.

Also, the android APK has also been published on Sourceforge as official, graduating the android port from this forum to the rest of the world.
04-02-2020, 06:08 PM
Hi Claudio -

Tried 'INV(0.002*pi*i)' EVAL
where pi is the symbol for pi, not 'pi'
Result was '500/i'

Same result in 50G and desktop.

May you please take a look.

Adrian Coto
04-03-2020, 02:41 AM
(04-02-2020 06:08 PM)acoto Wrote:  Hi Claudio -

Result was '500/i'

Wow, I'll definitely see what is happening. Some bug during the processing of the expression made a factor disappear into thin air? This is top priority. Thanks for the report.
04-10-2020, 02:42 AM
(04-03-2020 02:41 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(04-02-2020 06:08 PM)acoto Wrote:  Hi Claudio -

Result was '500/i'

Wow, I'll definitely see what is happening. Some bug during the processing of the expression made a factor disappear into thin air? This is top priority. Thanks for the report.

I did find it and the bug is fixed. Didn't get a chance to rebuild all ROMs yet but I will in the next couple of days.
04-10-2020, 09:43 PM
> I did find it and the bug is fixed. Didn't get a chance to rebuild all ROMs yet but I will in the next couple of days.

That Great! Thank you Claudio!!!

Adrian Coto
04-18-2020, 04:21 PM
Hi. Was wondering if there are any plans to implement serial communications. Have a few large programs I wrote in user rpl that use xmit srecv stime buflen to communicate over serial port. If u do implement I would be able to help debug as I'd use these functions often.

Other question is can serial data be sent/recieved as raw strings over usb? If so I might be able to use usb for my application as the program is to control a ham radio that has both a serial and usb cord for control input. It accepts raw strings for commands and returns strings for responses.
04-21-2020, 03:08 AM
(04-18-2020 04:21 PM)snrowe Wrote:  Hi. Was wondering if there are any plans to implement serial communications. Have a few large programs I wrote in user rpl that use xmit srecv stime buflen to communicate over serial port. If u do implement I would be able to help debug as I'd use these functions often.

Other question is can serial data be sent/recieved as raw strings over usb? If so I might be able to use usb for my application as the program is to control a ham radio that has both a serial and usb cord for control input. It accepts raw strings for commands and returns strings for responses.

I would say not at the moment on serial comms. It would be relatively simple to implement but would be used by very, very few people. Lately I have been overloaded with real world work so feature creep is very low priority. Would've loved to have been forced to quarantine without work to move newRPL forward quickly, but I'm not one of the millions that lost their jobs, I'm among the "lucky" ones that needs to keep going.
Regarding USB... newRPL uses the raw HID protocol so it works without drivers on all known OS's that support USB. And the calculator is a device, not a host so you would still need to connect the calculator to some host (Raspberry PI, Arduino with USB host shield, Teensy, etc.). On top of that, newRPL doesn't send raw strings but calculator objects (if your object is a string, the object is basically a 4 byte prolog then the string, not that hard) and uses a minimalistic way to split objects into HID reports. So your host would have to deal with the raw HID protocol, plus interpret the packets from newRPL in order to get complete objects reassembled and strip the prologs to get the strings.
04-27-2020, 08:34 PM
(04-21-2020 03:08 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I would say not at the moment on serial comms. It would be relatively simple to implement but would be used by very, very few people. Lately I have been overloaded with real world work so feature creep is very low priority. Would've loved to have been forced to quarantine without work to move newRPL forward quickly, but I'm not one of the millions that lost their jobs, I'm among the "lucky" ones that needs to keep going.
Regarding USB... newRPL uses the raw HID protocol so it works without drivers on all known OS's that support USB. And the calculator is a device, not a host so you would still need to connect the calculator to some host (Raspberry PI, Arduino with USB host shield, Teensy, etc.). On top of that, newRPL doesn't send raw strings but calculator objects (if your object is a string, the object is basically a 4 byte prolog then the string, not that hard) and uses a minimalistic way to split objects into HID reports. So your host would have to deal with the raw HID protocol, plus interpret the packets from newRPL in order to get complete objects reassembled and strip the prologs to get the strings.

Hi Claudio, Thanks for replying and I completely understand. Thank you for your explanation on usb. Programming a raspberry pie or teensy is within my capability so I may try that.
04-28-2020, 02:12 AM
(04-21-2020 03:08 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I would say not at the moment on serial comms. It would be relatively simple to implement but would be used by very, very few people.

I would also very much like to have serial port communication support in NewRPL. Right now, I have to flash back the HP firmware when I want to use the serial port. :-(

Francois
06-15-2020, 03:11 AM
I wanted to post an update because some may think development has stopped or slowed down. Nothing farther from the truth. newRPL continues moving forward. Right now we are working hard(ware).
Porting newRPL to the Prime G1 is underway. Its not easy, debugging hardware drivers is hard and time consuming. So there won't be deadlines or promises, but it's happening.
All targets build from the same tree, so the newRPL project will keep advancing in all targets at once, and data will be interchangeable between targets just as it is now. Once the port is complete, development will focus back on graphics capabilities and a programmable UI that's long overdue.
06-15-2020, 04:28 AM
Great news! This is just about the only thing that would induce me to buy a Prime - despite my drooling over its graphing capabilities and some interesting math commands, its treatment of RPN was a deal-breaker.

NewRPL will only work on the G1? How does one lay hands on one?
06-15-2020, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2020 03:59 AM by compsystems.)
Someday newrpl on own hardware

https://youtu.be/AXu9Mrq3AEk
06-15-2020, 06:23 PM
(06-15-2020 04:28 AM)The Shadow Wrote:  Great news! This is just about the only thing that would induce me to buy a Prime - despite my drooling over its graphing capabilities and some interesting math commands, its treatment of RPN was a deal-breaker.

NewRPL will only work on the G1? How does one lay hands on one?

Same way you get a 50g nowadays, but less expensive?

The g2 requires hardware mods, and that isn't something normal people would do. If there's ever a software-only unlock option we'll take a second look, but for now it's easier to buy a G1 than to hack a G2.
06-16-2020, 09:08 PM
(06-15-2020 03:11 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I wanted to post an update because some may think development has stopped or slowed down. Nothing farther from the truth. newRPL continues moving forward. Right now we are working hard(ware).
Porting newRPL to the Prime G1 is underway. Its not easy, debugging hardware drivers is hard and time consuming. So there won't be deadlines or promises, but it's happening.
All targets build from the same tree, so the newRPL project will keep advancing in all targets at once, and data will be interchangeable between targets just as it is now. Once the port is complete, development will focus back on graphics capabilities and a programmable UI that's long overdue.

That is great news! I have a Prime G1 ready and waiting!
06-17-2020, 05:55 PM
(06-15-2020 03:11 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Porting newRPL to the Prime G1 is underway. Its not easy, debugging hardware drivers is hard and time consuming. So there won't be deadlines or promises, but it's happening.

Boy, if there ever was a pertinent topic for HHC2020, this would be it :-)
Jake
06-19-2020, 08:49 PM
This is going to put the price of G1 units up on eBay Smile

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
06-23-2020, 03:08 AM
Quote:Boy, if there ever was a pertinent topic for HHC2020, this would be it :-)
Jake

I wanted to attend HHC many times, but not being geographically close and in the middle of work and kids school season it's nearly impossible for me. However... our friend Gunther (sorry I botched your name, american keyboard...) did show newRPL at HHC, he did a great presentation.
If this year HHC becomes virtual, I may try to prepare something (I would have no excuse this year!). We'll see, hopefully there's enough progress we have something to show. Our forum friend erazor is hard at work helping with the cause. Many thanks to him!

By the way, fonts look too tiny on the Prime. Right now we are using the 10 pixel font (the largest right now in newRPL) and it could be good for the menus but feels small for the stack.
If anyone is up to the task, fonts are relatively easy to create with any bitmap editor so please contact me. We'd like to have a 16 pixel font and 24 pixel font. With a 240 pixel screen, a 24 pixel font allows for 10 lines of text, similar in size to the 8 pixel font on the 80 pixel screen of the 50g.
I know some may prefer tiny text, but we already have that. I assure you the 5 pixel font is too tiny for the prime screen. I like big numbers, at least for level 1 of the stack.
07-11-2020, 09:54 PM
A major milestone was achieved today: newRPL ran for the first time on the HP Prime G1.

An image is worth more than a thousand words... in case you are wondering, the number above is the free memory reported by MEM (completely empty calc). I just added the units for theatrical effect :-)

The menu is using the 10 pixel font and the numbers there are a 24 pixel font. We need intermediate sizes.

[Image: prime_newrpl.jpg]
07-11-2020, 09:57 PM
Looks nice!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)