Restore to hardware calculator broken?
03-23-2020, 11:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2020 01:26 AM by Orome.)
Restore to hardware calculator broken?
Does the CK work to "restore" from a virtual calculator to a hardware calculator?

Here's what I see (100% of the time):
  1. Make a backup from either an iOS Prime or the macOS Prime
  2. Use backup from (1) to restore to a hardware Prime
  3. Restore appears successful
  4. Try any operation on the hardware calculator
  5. Hardware calculator crashes and reboots, erasing all memory

Also, in step 3, the target calculator gets renamed uselessly to match the source calculator (which is not what happens in a virtual-virtual backup+restore).

Any ideas. Basically this means I can't customize a virtual calculator rand then apply those customizations to a hardware calculator.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2020, 12:40 AM
RE: Restore to hardware calculator broken?
(03-23-2020 11:59 PM)Orome Wrote:  Does the CK work to "restore" from a virtual calculator to a hardware calculator?

Pretty sure Tim has confirmed that backups should be compatible across devices... hopefully he'll see this and confirm.

Try fully resetting the target machine before the restore, it may make a difference.

Also, any possibility the backup file was damaged?

As for device name, I'd guess that it would restore the original device's name to new device, but don't recall testing that... will have to look...

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
03-24-2020, 08:40 PM
rprosperi Wrote:  Try fully resetting the target machine before the restore, it may make a difference.

I've tried multiple different backups and none work.

How should I reset? Poking the reset hole doesn't fix the problem.

Also: CK crashes when I back up to my hardware prime.

#StayTheFuckHome
03-24-2020, 09:51 PM
(03-24-2020 08:40 PM)Orome Wrote:  
rprosperi Wrote:  Try fully resetting the target machine before the restore, it may make a difference.

I've tried multiple different backups and none work.

How should I reset? Poking the reset hole doesn't fix the problem.

Also: CK crashes when I back up to my hardware prime.

From here: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-818.html

"0.19) How to reset the Prime to recover from some unwanted issues (All Firmware releases including 7820), by Tim Wessman
Warning: these procedures will wipe the user's work.
Make sure you have a backup (Use the Connectivity Kit for that).
a) First approach - Wipe out all memory:
Press ON-APPS-ESC (all 3 together) and release.
b) Second approach - Reset to factory defaults:
Reboot the Prime and hold the three keys with the orange C F O letters. This will get you into the factory test menu, and you can format the drive. Once you see the "EA656 DIAGNOSTIC" Screen Menu, press 4 for FLS Utility, 3 for Format Disk C, then ENTER. Once finished, press ESC to back out into the main menu and press 9 to reset and reboot.
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-397...l#pid36148"

While trying to not sound like I'm saying RTFM, I'd say you should at least skim this section to see the breadth and depth of articles already posted, there is a lot of content there that should help a lot of these kinds of questions.

--Bob Prosperi
03-24-2020, 09:59 PM
rprosperi Wrote:  While trying to not sound like I'm saying RTFM, I'd say you should at least skim this section to see the breadth and depth of articles already posted, there is a lot of content there that should help a lot of these kinds of questions.

Yes, I saw that (as well as several other techniques, here and elsewhere, before asking — as you say "a lot"). The question is, which should I use in this case: which did you mean by "reset"?
03-24-2020, 10:15 PM
(03-24-2020 09:59 PM)Orome Wrote:  
rprosperi Wrote:  While trying to not sound like I'm saying RTFM, I'd say you should at least skim this section to see the breadth and depth of articles already posted, there is a lot of content there that should help a lot of these kinds of questions.

Yes, I saw that (as well as several other techniques, here and elsewhere, before asking — as you say "a lot"). The question is, which should I use in this case: which did you mean by "reset"?

For the situation you have, I'd use the 'reset to factory defaults' (CFO reset and format drive) to try to get the fullest (or most thorough) 'wipe', ensuring any possible corruption is removed. I've no idea if this will fix the problem, but doing so removes all possibilities (and there are many) of the problem being a corrupted target unit.

--Bob Prosperi
03-24-2020, 10:45 PM
rprosperi Wrote:  As for device name, I'd guess that it would restore the original device's name to new device, but don't recall testing that... will have to look...

As near as I can tell (multiple crashes makes it tedious) the destination calculator gets the name of the backup source calculator, which results in two calculators with the same name, which CK doesn't like, so it gets confused and crashes.

So the only way to make things work if the goal is to copy settings from one calculator to another using a backup, is to never have two calculators connected to the CK at the same time, and to be sure to disconnect the destination calcuator rename it with a distinct name before reconnecting it.

This can't be the intended behavior, so I must be missing something.

What is the correct method for copying the state of one calculator to another using CK?

#StayTheFuckHome
05-04-2020, 02:16 PM
(03-24-2020 09:51 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Reboot the Prime and hold the three keys with the orange C F O letters. This will get you into the factory test menu, and you can format the drive. Once you see the "EA656 DIAGNOSTIC" Screen Menu, press 4 for FLS Utility, 3 for Format Disk C, then ENTER. Once finished, press ESC to back out into the main menu and press 9 to reset and reboot.

FWIW I've done this several times now and I still can't restore to the calculator from any backup.

It seems like the CK on macOS is pretty broken. (For example, standard uninstall procedures don't work, so I can't fully clean up and start again. Connecting to iOS Primes is also problematic since the the CK only starts a network— or the iOS Primes can only detect it — about 1 out of 10 times.)
05-04-2020, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2020 05:14 PM by pinkman.)
I've also experienced several crashes of CK (MacOs), but there is an assertion that I cannot respect: my firmwares are not of the same versions.
- iOS HP Prime is version 2.1.14346
- hardware HP Prime is version 2.1.14425 (Prime G1 model C)
(yes these are the latest versions, but they are not the same)

Backup iOS -> restore iOS : works well
Backup HW -> restore iOS : works well
Backup * -> restore HW : data is copied (name, params, vars, programs, CAS state), but the Prime crashes and the Home state is not restored. CK crashes also.

I've tried without 2 devices having the same name, same problem in CK.
05-04-2020, 05:22 PM
(05-04-2020 05:11 PM)pinkman Wrote:  Backup iOS -> restore iOS : works well
Backup HW -> restore iOS : works well
Backup * -> restore HW : data is copied (name, params, vars, programs, CAS state), but the Prime crashes and the Home state is not restored. CK crashes also.

Same experience here!

I've tried reinstalling CK, but HP has clearly hidden some components or settings in non-standard (macOS) locations so they persist across reinstalls (making the exercise likely pointless).
05-04-2020, 08:36 PM
(05-04-2020 02:16 PM)Orome Wrote:  
(03-24-2020 09:51 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Reboot the Prime and hold the three keys with the orange C F O letters. This will get you into the factory test menu, and you can format the drive. Once you see the "EA656 DIAGNOSTIC" Screen Menu, press 4 for FLS Utility, 3 for Format Disk C, then ENTER. Once finished, press ESC to back out into the main menu and press 9 to reset and reboot.

FWIW I've done this several times now and I still can't restore to the calculator from any backup.

Ah, OK then ignore my suggestion in your other thread about this, which was to be sure to fully clear/reset the target device before restoring there.

I'd have to agree that the macOS CK is the culprit.

Do you have access to a Windows PC (friend, work, etc.) where you could try it, which would at least confirm your devices are OK, and also verify the macOS CK is indeed the cause?

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)