HP Prime virtual calculator ignores directory settings
03-22-2020, 04:20 PM
HP Prime virtual calculator ignores directory settings
On macOS the HP Prime Virtual calculator appears to ignore customizations to the directory settings and insists on putting a folder into my Documents folder (in contravention of Apple's guidelines).

Is this a known bug? Is there a fix expected?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2020, 01:06 AM
RE: HP Prime virtual calculator ignores directory settings
Hmm... I will look at that sometime I guess. It might be blocked by the new 10.15 features and defaulting into that location.

No, this case is deinfitely not against guidelines. Tucking these files away in some deeply buried Applciation Support directory when you are needing access to zip files, pdfs, and other documents regularly as a teacher/educator or more advanced user would just get tedious.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
03-23-2020, 01:33 PM
Tim Wessman Wrote:  No, this case is deinfitely not against guidelines.

Not so:
The files in the user’s Documents and Desktop directories should reflect only the documents that the user created and works with directly. ... Those directories must never be used to store data files that your app creates and manages automatically.
03-23-2020, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2020 02:09 PM by Tim Wessman.)
(03-23-2020 01:33 PM)Orome Wrote:  The files in the user’s Documents and Desktop directories should reflect only the documents that the user created and works with directly. ... Those directories must never be used to store data files that your app creates and manages automatically.

Who is creating them then? The files are created
either on the calculator, or directly in the connectivity kit. The only files that are in there are files the user has either placed there directly by dragging and dropping, or manually created and edits themselves.

Yes, you have a point about the downloads for updates, but most of the files in there numerically are user created.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
03-23-2020, 02:19 PM
Tim Wessman Wrote:  Who is creating them then? The files are created either on the calculator, or directly in the connectivity kit. The only files that are in there are files the user has either placed there directly by dragging and dropping, or manually created and edits themselves.

The guidelines mean directly: through user interaction via Finder or by placing them in a folder that the user put at the root of Documents using Finder. It's fine if as part of its initial launch or configuration an app asks the user where to place its files and includes Documents among its options, but it can't be a hidden default (even if the user can change it subsequently).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)