Top of the line
02-29-2020, 12:45 AM
Top of the line
Hi all.

I’m in need of replacing my Casio, Sharp, and TI scientific calcs.

Last I heard Sharp’s EL-W516X, TI’s TI-36X Pro, and Casio’s FX115 Plus were the masters. So, what are the current models?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-29-2020, 01:36 AM
RE: Top of the line
(02-29-2020 12:45 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hi all.

Last I heard Sharp’s EL-W516X, TI’s TI-36X Pro, and Casio’s FX115 Plus were the masters. So, what are the current models?

Thanks!

The current TI flagship is the Nspire II CAS.

Tom L
Cui bono?
02-29-2020, 01:48 AM
(02-29-2020 01:36 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  The current TI flagship is the Nspire II CAS.

From the prior models he quoted, I believe Matt meant to say "replacing my ... non-graphing scientific calculators".

--Bob Prosperi
02-29-2020, 02:16 AM
For non-graphing Casios, the fx-5800P is probably the best. It's programmable and has 32 KB RAM. You can usually import one for about $60 US.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-29-2020, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 02-29-2020 05:52 AM by Matt Agajanian.)
(02-29-2020 02:16 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  For non-graphing Casios, the fx-5800P is probably the best. It's programmable and has 32 KB RAM. You can usually import one for about $60 US.

Thanks for the Casio master. What would be a topper for TI and Sharp? Just curious…. how does Casio’s FX-991ESPLUS rate? Is it more sophisticated than the 115ES Plus?
02-29-2020, 06:39 AM
(02-29-2020 05:43 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  
(02-29-2020 02:16 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  For non-graphing Casios, the fx-5800P is probably the best. It's programmable and has 32 KB RAM. You can usually import one for about $60 US.

Thanks for the Casio master. What would be a topper for TI and Sharp? Just curious…. how does Casio’s FX-991ESPLUS rate? Is it more sophisticated than the 115ES Plus?

The upgrade to the 115ES Plus is really the fx-991EX Classwiz. It has a higher resolution screen, more functions, a little more memory, is faster and looks like the more recent Casio's in styling. It also has a spreadsheet app and can output a QR code in the display for viewing graphs and other information using your smartphone. See:
http://www.numericana.com/answer/casio.htm
https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/calc/.../fx-991EX/
02-29-2020, 10:20 AM
(02-29-2020 12:45 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  TI’s TI-36X Pro

The current replacement model is TI-30X Pro MathPrint. The manual is HERE.

I "have" one, bought on mid December last year, never arrived, unfortunately the current prices are too high for a scientific calculator. I hope during the summer holiday when the austrian or german students runs-out money they will sell their pocket calcs Smile

I have a CASIO fx-991EX and DEX Classwiz and I use frequently the TI-30X Pro MathPrint emulator, I suggest to you, try the emulators before you decide.
One hint: the CASIO use MODEs and everything cleared when you change the MODE or press AC or ON. On TI no MODEs and memory not changed until you clear or modify it. This CASIO's "feature" makes the CASIO unusable.

The QR code not working on my Android phones, I guess the Chrome Hungarian version is not supported fully by CASIO (no graphics for TABLE, but STAT plots are works), other Chrome versions works well, the generated QR code is differently converted to webpage on my browser (I have tried on many Hungarian Android versions, all of them fault).

The TI is a reduced TI-83 and very well designed. I suggest the TI instead of CASIO.

Csaba
02-29-2020, 01:05 PM
Hello!

(02-29-2020 12:45 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  I’m in need of replacing my Casio, Sharp, and TI scientific calcs.

Just curious: Where does a "need" to replace several calculators at once come from?

Of the current models from Sharp I really like the EL-W506X and the EL-W506T (they may have a slightly different designations in other countries). In terms of function count they are to of the line of the non-graphing, non-programmable Sharps. The display is quite crisp and the keyboard good enough to do some real calculations.

Regards
Max
02-29-2020, 02:05 PM
(02-29-2020 10:20 AM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  I "have" one (TI-30X Pro MathPrint), bought on mid December last year, never arrived...

Maybe someone has a possibility to buy one in a local store and ship to me?!? We can discuss in PM!

Thanks,
Csaba
02-29-2020, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-29-2020 04:30 PM by ijabbott.)
(02-29-2020 12:45 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hi all.

Thanks!

The nearest replacement for the EL-W516X would be the EL-W516T (in NA) or EL-W506T (in EU).

The TI-36X Pro (NA) and TI-30X Pro MultiView (EU) are still current but there is a newer model called the TI-30X Pro MathPrint that only(?) seems to be sold in German speaking parts of Europe, currently. It's about twice as fast as the old model.

The best replacement for the FX-115ES Plus (NA) or FX-991ES Plus (EU) would be the FX-991EX ClassWiz (or regional variants). There are also some recent cosmetically restyled versions of the ES Plus series known as the ES Plus 2nd edition series, such as the FX-115ES Plus 2nd edition (NA) and FX-991ES Plus 2nd edition (EU). Apart from arguably better looks, there is no benefit in upgrading to the 2nd edition calculators, but the ClassWiz series are worth upgrading to.

— Ian Abbott
02-29-2020, 04:35 PM
(02-29-2020 05:43 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Just curious…. how does Casio’s FX-991ESPLUS rate? Is it more sophisticated than the 115ES Plus?

There are pretty similar. The FX-991ESPLUS is the European version of the FX-115ESPLUS, but lacks the useful "Pre-Ans" feature and possibly one or two minor features.

— Ian Abbott
03-01-2020, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2020 05:44 PM by Csaba Tizedes.)
(02-29-2020 04:28 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  TI-30X Pro MathPrint that only(?) seems to be sold in German speaking parts of Europe

"As of December 2018 the TI-30X Pro MathPrint was featured on TI's website for the following countries: Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Italy, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland." - Link: http://www.datamath.org/Sci/Modern/TI-30X-PROMP.htm - unfortunately these countries not Wuhan-free zones now Tongue

(02-29-2020 04:28 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  It's about twice as fast as the old model.

And many new features implemented, for first run check this comment: HPMuseum forum link

Better calculator than you think and the implemented features very well integrated into each other. (If you a HP expert, same like HP10BII+, better than looks like!)

Csaba
03-02-2020, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2020 09:11 AM by Pekis.)
Hello,

A nice little programmable (390 steps) from CASIO: fx-3650P II

… Very limited programming capabilities (no subroutines, only 7 variables)

Solving X² - 3 = 0 can be easily implemented as:
? → X : Lbl 1 : X - ( X² - 3 ) ÷ d/dX( X² - 3, X ) → X ◢ Goto 1
03-02-2020, 06:42 PM
(03-02-2020 08:58 AM)Pekis Wrote:  Hello,

A nice little programmable (390 steps) from CASIO: fx-3650P II

… Very limited programming capabilities (no subroutines, only 7 variables)

Solving X² - 3 = 0 can be easily implemented as:
? → X : Lbl 1 : X - ( X² - 3 ) ÷ d/dX( X² - 3, X ) → X ◢ Goto 1

Yes, hard to decide which is better: the 3650P has differential and integral function, but only 390 steps available, but the fx-50FH has 680 steps with no these numerical calculus functions. Both of them really limited, but there are little tricks to improve these capabilities, eg. how to use stat registers to increase the number of storage space (this program use ALL registers to store CFs, but use the stat regs and Ans for looping and calculating NPV and iterating IRR):

A very accurate Sunrise/Noon/Sunset program - you can see a little analemma curve installed inside the hard cover for calculating anywhere, anytime, eg. during a hiking:

Youtube video

With fx-3650P you can write (I know, because I wrote) a little solver and with the d/dx() and integrate you can solve any root finding, extremum finding and integral range finding (eg. z-score statistics) and separable differential equation solver with these calculators (and yes, this is accurate because of the implemented integral routine).

Csaba
03-02-2020, 07:11 PM
(03-02-2020 06:42 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  A very accurate Sunrise/Noon/Sunset program - you can see a little analemma curve installed inside the hard cover for calculating anywhere, anytime, eg. during a hiking:

Youtube video

Are the program listing and analemma curve available somewhere?
03-02-2020, 08:43 PM
(03-02-2020 07:11 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(03-02-2020 06:42 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  A very accurate Sunrise/Noon/Sunset program - you can see a little analemma curve installed inside the hard cover for calculating anywhere, anytime, eg. during a hiking:

Youtube video

Are the program listing and analemma curve available somewhere?

Must to find the dwg (AutoCAD) for the curve and the Excel file also - tomorrow I can upload it; the program itself - frankly speaking - not a big deal, the well known method programmed and the accuracy is depends on the declination and equation of time readings - but better than my old CASIO watch. I have checked some days during the year, the accuracy better than 1-2 mins, which is good enough for hiking (of course the new smart watches or SUUNTOs and few CASIO watches can calculate it precisely).

For the fx-50FH possible to calculate DEC and EOT values in the program because the memory is enough.

I used this program with a solver on 50FH to find the altitude of Sun below the horizon to find out what is the max duration after sunset when I can see naked-eye during hiking. I made this experiment from winter to summer and I found that this is (-8.0+/-1.3)° for me at 90% probability. I will check it regularly, maybe I can measure, how it is change by my age.

More important result of these calculations this formula:
Day of the 365 day year: DOY=0.9977×(DAY+30.49×(MONTH-1.026)), this formula's inaccuracy is approx 2 days during the year, but short and 2 days is not a big difference if you want to make these sunrise/sunset calculations.

Csaba
03-03-2020, 05:21 AM
Sharp: EL-W516TBSL

Casio: Several
Non-programming but has QR codes: Classwiz fx-991EX
Programming, Solar: fx-3650P
Programming, Non Solar: fx-5800P

Texas Instruments:
The TI-36X Pro is the top of the line. The TI-30X Pro MathPrint is a European version of the TI-36X Pro, with a nicer keyboard
03-03-2020, 10:38 AM
(03-03-2020 05:21 AM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  The TI-30X Pro MathPrint is a European version of the TI-36X Pro, with a nicer keyboard

This is not true, BTW you do not read my comment above...! Wink

The The TI-30X Pro MathPrint has no any other version, this is THE ONLY version, yes the previous was the US and EU version, but this model prepared ONLY for European market.

And yes, this has many improvement compared to the previous model.

Csaba
03-03-2020, 01:32 PM
(03-02-2020 07:11 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Are the program listing and analemma curve available somewhere?

Analemma curve in DWG (AutoCAD 2018 format) *HERE*

The program list later (...maybe better to make a short video).

Csaba
03-03-2020, 01:58 PM
(03-03-2020 01:32 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  
(03-02-2020 07:11 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Are the program listing and analemma curve available somewhere?

Analemma curve in DWG (AutoCAD 2018 format) *HERE*

The program list later (...maybe better to make a short video).

Csaba

Cool, thanks! I know next to nothing about celestial navigation, sun calculations, etc. so this will be nice to study a bit.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)