Hello. My name's Dave, and I'm a Calcoholic.
01-07-2020, 09:45 PM
Hello. My name's Dave, and I'm a Calcoholic.
It started slowly enough, but then over the Christmas break, I went on a buying/asking bender that has resulted in an HP-25, a woodstock LP, a 41C wand, 2 woodstock battery holders, a 32s 50th anniversary edition, a rebuilt 41C printer battery, and a bunch of documentation. Last night I realized that I really need to allocate some dedicated storage space to this stuff. I [pause, voice starts to crack] ... I keep calculators all around the house [sniff]. They're in my desk, my laptop case, lots in the nightstand. I have pieces and parts in the basement. There are probably others that I can't recall.

And I'm loving every minute of it!!!! Smile Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2020, 10:19 PM
RE: Hello. My name's Dave, and I'm a Calcoholic.
(01-07-2020 09:45 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  It started slowly enough, but then over the Christmas break, I went on a buying/asking bender that has resulted in an HP-25, a woodstock LP, a 41C wand, 2 woodstock battery holders, a 32s 50th anniversary edition, a rebuilt 41C printer battery, and a bunch of documentation. Last night I realized that I really need to allocate some dedicated storage space to this stuff. I [pause, voice starts to crack] ... I keep calculators all around the house [sniff]. They're in my desk, my laptop case, lots in the nightstand. I have pieces and parts in the basement. There are probably others that I can't recall.

First of all, all the readers are supposed to say "Hello David" in unison, but that's hard on a board like this, so I'll just reply "Hello David" myself.

Second - I've read and re-read your paragraph several times looking closely for patterns of dangerous, unusual or abhorrent behavior, but I don't see any at all. All these symptoms and behaviors seem completely normal to me. I don't know... maybe this is not the best place to seek an assessment that this is not normal behavior. Confused

--Bob Prosperi
01-07-2020, 10:31 PM
(01-07-2020 10:19 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Second - I've read and re-read your paragraph several times looking closely for patterns of dangerous, unusual or abhorrent behavior, but I don't see any at all. All these symptoms and behaviors seem completely normal to me. I don't know... maybe this is not the best place to seek an assessment that this is not normal behavior. Confused

Maybe you should ask your SO as to whether this is normal or not...
01-07-2020, 10:50 PM
(01-07-2020 09:45 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  It started slowly enough, but then over the Christmas break, I went on a buying/asking bender that has resulted in an HP-25, a woodstock LP, a 41C wand, 2 woodstock battery holders, a 32s 50th anniversary edition, a rebuilt 41C printer battery, and a bunch of documentation. Last night I realized that I really need to allocate some dedicated storage space to this stuff. I [pause, voice starts to crack] ... I keep calculators all around the house [sniff]. They're in my desk, my laptop case, lots in the nightstand. I have pieces and parts in the basement. There are probably others that I can't recall.

Hello Dave.
01-07-2020, 11:07 PM
One year ago I owned an HP-15C and and HP-16C and this shelf had books on it.

You might be a sick man, Dave...
But who am I to judge?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2020, 11:07 PM

GREAT! Lots of fine door prizes Smile

Günter
01-07-2020, 11:12 PM
Hello Dave,
A true calcaholic, yes collects calculators but also drinks a lot of alcohol,
I don’t think it is a recognized affliction, However all the best for your road to recovery.
Best regards and good fortune to all members
Ray
01-07-2020, 11:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2020 11:37 PM by teenix.)

Sounds like you are a very calculating person ;-)

[Image: dave.jpg]

cheers

Tony
01-08-2020, 12:16 AM
Hello, Dave!

Warning: Unlike some "Twelve-Step Programs" out there in the Real World, the ones found here at MoHPC actually WORK. But, as they say, they only work if you work them. That's usually done by pressing the R/S key.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
01-08-2020, 01:50 AM
Hi Dave!
01-08-2020, 01:54 AM
(01-07-2020 09:45 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  [pause, voice starts to crack] ... I keep calculators all around the house [sniff]. They're in my desk, my laptop case, lots in the nightstand. I have pieces and parts in the basement. There are probably others that I can't recall.

My ex Brother-in-Law used to hide his beneath bushes in the back yard . . . oh, wait, you said calcoholic . . . Wink

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
01-08-2020, 02:14 AM
Hello Dave!

Although you won't find a cure here (that's for sure)... you'll find lots of comprehension instead. Hope this helps in carrying your own cross. ;-)

"Do not suppose, check it twice."
01-08-2020, 02:53 AM
I had a boss around 1990 who would come to work with a lot of calculators in his attache case, plus a nice little calculator stand that would hold the calc at a slight angle on the desk. Several times throughout each day, he would take out a different calc and put the other one away, even though he wasn't using them that often. They just made him feel good, I guess.

My own inventory has very few models, but lots of modules and peripherals. I have all the manuals too, except those of a couple of things I bought used on eBay.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
01-08-2020, 03:25 AM
Hi Dave!

I still have your TI-55 that I won as a door prize you donated at HHC 2018 in San Jose. Please send me your address. Smile

P.S. It has a friend.

Try CC41!
01-08-2020, 03:36 AM
(01-08-2020 12:16 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Hello, Dave!

Warning: Unlike some "Twelve-Step Programs" out there in the Real World, the ones found here at MoHPC actually WORK. But, as they say, they only work if you work them. That's usually done by pressing the R/S key.

Truly Excellent Joseph! Big Grin

--Bob Prosperi
01-08-2020, 10:34 AM

Hello, Dave!
I too have a lot of calculators. I decided to try a 12-step program. All of my calculators have enough memory for 12 steps! Smile When our kids moved out I wasted no time in commandeering one of their rooms for my collection. Every time my wife wants to sew something, she has to drag out the sewing machine and put it on the dining room table instead of having a dedicated sewing room. She's not happy about it but at least I can't hear her complaining since I'm in my calculator room!

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-08-2020, 11:30 AM
Hello David...
01-08-2020, 01:18 PM
Don't worry. This is not alarming in any way.
I keep stuff all over the house as well. A central storage place doesn't hurt for additional stuff though Smile

[Image: calcsm7k0m.jpg]

Ok, that is only the stuff that is not in boxes, here is the rest:
[Image: calcs2wjksc.jpg]

Smile
01-08-2020, 01:59 PM
If it can provide any relief, here is one of my calculator bookshelves ...
[Image: HP_CALC_2019_1.jpg]
[Image: HP_CALC_2019_2.jpg]

Hi Dave!
01-08-2020, 02:50 PM
(01-08-2020 01:59 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  If it can provide any relief, here is one of my calculator bookshelves ...
[Image: HP_CALC_2019_1.jpg]
[Image: HP_CALC_2019_2.jpg]

Hi Dave!

And does any of this get used anymore? Are you just hoarding, or creating a calculator museum? :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)