A way to have automatic color temperature adjustment?
12-06-2019, 07:19 PM
A way to have automatic color temperature adjustment?
Is there some way to have automatic color temperature adjustment as it gets later and as the day begins? I mean specifically that software is regulating this temperature according to your location or manually set times when to have higher and lower temperatures. This is pretty common on portable devices and non-portable devices. (Also good would be that you can set it freely any way you want and when without automatic regulation.)

If this doesn't exist, it would be good to have, wouldn't it?

Can it be programmed using HP PPL? (Probably not, I think, but I don't know.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2019, 10:08 PM
RE: A way to have automatic color temperature adjustment?
(12-06-2019 07:19 PM)HP User Wrote:  This is pretty common on portable devices...

With the possible exception of notebook PCs in the last year or so, and possibly a few quite new phones, I don't think this is common at all. Also, the benefits of the color shift are primarily for sustained viewing, and wouldn't likely matter at all for a small device that you glance at periodically.

--Bob Prosperi
12-07-2019, 01:12 PM
(12-06-2019 10:08 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(12-06-2019 07:19 PM)HP User Wrote:  This is pretty common on portable devices...

With the possible exception of notebook PCs in the last year or so, and possibly a few quite new phones, I don't think this is common at all. Also, the benefits of the color shift are primarily for sustained viewing, and wouldn't likely matter at all for a small device that you glance at periodically.

That such software exists and that it can be used on them is quite common. (All you do is go and use it.)

Whether you do sustained viewing or non-sustained viewing is not so much the point (or not at all the point): the mere fact that you do view an LCD screen already costs you, and let alone that man is not wired to view such a screen in the later parts of a day. Previously mentioned color temperature regulation is recommended.
12-09-2019, 02:56 AM
I think your best solution to get color adjustment and a better screen is.... use the android/ios versions?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
12-09-2019, 03:18 AM
I actually think this would be a neat feature to have. Not necessarily for color temp adjustment but for toggling dark mode on at night. I do foresee issues with daylight savings and the fact that the sun simply doesn't set at the exact same time throughout the year so a permanent hook/ button combination would probably be more feasible.

rprosperi I would like to point out that 3rd party color shift has been around on Android and Windows since 2008 and (jailbroken) iOS devices since at least 2011. Sure 1st party support is pretty recent, but the ability has been around for years. Wink

Cemetech | YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2019, 01:42 PM
(12-09-2019 03:18 AM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  rprosperi I would like to point out that 3rd party color shift has been around on Android and Windows since 2008 and (jailbroken) iOS devices since at least 2011. Sure 1st party support is pretty recent, but the ability has been around for years. Wink

Sure, as a raw idea/technology, it goes back even further than that. The point was that insisting it is available almost everywhere else (implying built-in by default) is simply not the case. The concept has merit, but it is hardly universal, and as far as I know, does not exist in any $100 consumer device.

--Bob Prosperi
12-11-2019, 02:10 PM
The HP Prime would be the first to have a color temperature adjustment feature should it be installed. Given that most people don't stare at calculators all day (unlike me on some days), I don't foresee color adjustment settings, but you never know.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-12-2019, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2019 07:13 PM by HP User.)
(12-09-2019 01:42 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(12-09-2019 03:18 AM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  rprosperi I would like to point out that 3rd party color shift has been around on Android and Windows since 2008 and (jailbroken) iOS devices since at least 2011. Sure 1st party support is pretty recent, but the ability has been around for years. Wink

Sure, as a raw idea/technology, it goes back even further than that. The point was that insisting it is available almost everywhere else (implying built-in by default) is simply not the case. The concept has merit, but it is hardly universal, and as far as I know, does not exist in any $100 consumer device.

Hey Bob Smile

I actually did not imply or stated it the way you put it. I wrote:

Quote:I mean specifically that software is regulating this temperature according to your location or manually set times when to have higher and lower temperatures. This is pretty common on portable devices and non-portable devices.
I see nothing false or wrong there, especially when clarification was given. And built-in functionality was not implied (I don't see how it could've been). Universality was also not implied.
12-13-2019, 02:05 AM
Yeah, using "insist" was probably too strong; it overstates your comments.

I simply can't see any rationale reason to even consider this for a calculator. For me, it's similar to haptic feedback, adjustable volume levels, screen auto-rotation, and other similar electronics usability features. On phones, tablets and notebook PCs, some or all of these make sense, as their usage justifies them, and the cost to include them is negligible relative to the overall cost. These things (again in my opinion, yours may differ) add no value to a handheld calculator, while they absolutely would add to it's complexity and increase the cost.

As a consumer device, every feature must have general consumer demand and/or have wide appeal in order to be justified for inclusion into the product. Screen color temperature auto-adjust fits neither of those. Probably less than 1 in a thousand potential buyers even know what it is, and many of them probably dismiss it as nonsense. (I know it isn't but that doesn't change what they think).

Still, please feel free to wish for it. Likewise, I'll wish that HP will not waste any of their precious resources on it. Most likely, we cancel each other out...

--Bob Prosperi
12-16-2019, 05:36 PM
The rationale has already been given.

And users have no need to know what it is, or they could easily learn it (via a short simple text in HP Prime's help section, or an even shorter text in the settings), if necessary, just like they have learned many other things and functionalities.

Wide appeal is fallacious reasoning. If there's no appeal for hygiene and sewers, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any. If there's no appeal for increase in health, it doesn't mean the government shouldn't ban what's unhealthy, etc.

In the case of Prime the way it is now, it would take a simple piece of software they could write. HP has enough resources to get it done. Question is whether they will wise up about it and whether they dare to admit it and get it done.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)