Incomprehensible programming errors
09-28-2019, 11:02 PM
Incomprehensible programming errors
Hello everyone,

After various updates, I still can't program my HP Prime. I always get the following error message: "Error: syntax error". This happens when I type in the examples from the manual, but also with software that I come up with myself. Every time I can't figure out what's wrong. Also, the software that I download from hpcalc.org often does not work either. I have a Prime with hardware version A, and software version 2.1.14181(2018 10 16). What can be done about this? I look forward to a response from you. Sincerely, Karel.

I use HP-16C, WP-34S emulator, HP-35s, HP-48GX, HP-50g, and HP Prime G2.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2019, 12:11 AM
RE: Incomprehensible programming errors
To help someone to help you, you had best tell us the exact (minimum) set of steps you take to create the error and show us the exact text of a program that causes the error. (Since you say it's every program, best choose a very simple one (like the one called SimpleCounter in the section entitled "Program Catalog and Editor" in the Quick Start Guide, or a program that's even simpler still).

If the error every time is "Error: syntax error", then I don't see how you can complain that the message is incomprehensible -- it says there is a syntax error in your program. (You might legitimately complain that the error message is not very specific, though.)

Are you getting the error message when you press the "Check" button in the Program Editor?
09-29-2019, 11:36 AM
I suspect you are running with a decimal setting of , correct?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-29-2019, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2019 07:10 PM by Thott.)
(09-28-2019 11:02 PM)cahlucas Wrote:  Hello everyone,

After various updates, I still can't program my HP Prime. I always get the following error message: "Error: syntax error". This happens when I type in the examples from the manual, but also with software that I come up with myself. Every time I can't figure out what's wrong. Also, the software that I download from hpcalc.org often does not work either. I have a Prime with hardware version A, and software version 2.1.14181(2018 10 16). What can be done about this? I look forward to a response from you. Sincerely, Karel.

I had also this problem. And I got help here in the forum to put the line:

"#pragma mode( separator(.,;) integer(h32) )"

as the first line in the program source. ----> without the "" !!

I configured a comma as digit grouping. The result was, that most programs shows a syntax error.
Adding this line....solve the problems and the programs run fine.

http://www.dg8fbv.de
41CX, Card R., Barcode R., X-Function, X-Memory, Advntg-Modul,
HP41 Printer, 82200A Touchpad, 48GX black LCD, 50g, Prime G2
09-30-2019, 10:07 PM
(09-29-2019 11:36 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  I suspect you are running with a decimal setting of , correct?

Yes, that's true. Because I live in Europe, the decimal seperator is a comma(,). Sincerely, Karel.

09-30-2019, 10:13 PM
(09-29-2019 07:09 PM)Thott Wrote:  
(09-28-2019 11:02 PM)cahlucas Wrote:  Hello everyone,

I had also this problem. And I got help here in the forum to put the line:

"#pragma mode( separator(.,Wink integer(h32) )"

as the first line in the program source. ----> without the "" !!

I configured a comma as digit grouping. The result was, that most programs shows a syntax error.
Adding this line....solve the problems and the programs run fine.

Dear Mr. Thott,

Thank you very much for your response. I have not had a chance to try this out, but I will certainly do it soon. Sincerely, Karel.

10-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Hello everyone,

It appears that there are also errors in the local variables, for example I mention the program "DRAWPATTERN" which is in the manual in the chapter programming. In addition, errors also occur with constants. I also find errors in programs that I downloaded from http://www.hpcalc.org, such as Magnifying Glass in the category graphics. I would like to know if these are bugs in the firmware or if something can be done about this. Sincerely, Karel.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)