New Prime G2 - Bad Keyboard?
07-03-2019, 08:07 PM
New Prime G2 - Bad Keyboard?
I just purchased a new HP Prime G2 from Best Buy. When I powered it up, after selecting language, it takes me to the 4 page setup screen. However, I have been unable to complete the setup because most of the keys do not seem to do anything. Some of the letter keys seem to work sometimes(A through N), but number keys cannot be used to enter numerical data. Many other keys refuse to work as well, such as Help, View, Menu and CAS.

As it is this device is totally useless as a calculator. On HP's support website, no support is available for calculators. The serial number for this unit is not recognized.
From the HP Connectivity Kit, it reports
Application Version: 20181016v14181 (I updated the Firmware to the latest version, but it made no difference)
Operating system version v0.050.640

This seems to be a hardware fault, not software. Because of the way HP packages these units, they cannot be tested for functionality before purchasing without destroying the packaging.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2019, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2019 10:22 PM by smp.)
RE: New Prime G2 - Bad Keyboard?
FWIW, I'm in the USA, and I purchased my G2 some months ago from a seller in Europe.

My "About HP Prime shows this:

Software Version: 2.1.14181 (2018 10 16)
Hardware Version: D
CAS Version: 1.4.9
Serial Number: 9CJ821037S
Operating System: V2.060.650

Please note the Operating System is quite different from what you stated. Could that be some part of your issues?

smp
07-03-2019, 10:37 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2019 10:39 PM by smp.)
Please see my post #3 in this topic:

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-11...#pid118453

I believe that you may be able to fully update your Prime if you update to the most up-to-date HP Connection Kit.

Good luck!

smp
07-03-2019, 11:41 PM
(07-03-2019 10:19 PM)smp Wrote:  FWIW, I'm in the USA, and I purchased my G2 some months ago from a seller in Europe.

Please note the Operating System is quite different from what you stated. Could that be some part of your issues?

smp

I have the latest Connectivity Kit Version 2.1.14181.11.
I cannot get to the "About" on the Prime because the "Help" button (among many others) doesn't respond.
I am seeing the Operating System as Version 0 from the Connectivity Kit.
I have tried all of the suggested options for resetting the device. Currently, I have taken the battery out to let it set for a day before trying again.
07-04-2019, 12:17 AM
Are you 100% certain this is a G2 unit? Is the HP Product number on the pkg. 2AP18AA#ABA and does the "G2" appear on the rear of the unit in a circle just below the HP Logo?

The OS version you mention is the same as my original HP Prime, one of the very first units sold in the US in 2013.

BestBuy definitely is still selling older models, but hopefully not that old.

Check these details and let us know. And if it is a genuine G2, it's possible that the website warranty checking page does not have the latest info as sales of G2 units in USA seems to only have begun this week, so I'd call support to verify.

--Bob Prosperi
07-04-2019, 12:28 AM
I believe you are right. It does not have the G2 in a circle and the part number ends in BC01. The keypad looks like a G2. The keys are a different color than the ones on my G1. The display in the store was labeled as "2AP18AA#ABA", but was discounted $45.00 and marked "Clearance" on the receipt. (I just noticed that.) I am going to return it! I could find no markings anywhere on the packaging itself that identified it as a G2 when I was in the store. I have a G1 Prime already. Don't need another - especially one that doesn't work!
07-05-2019, 09:34 PM
(07-03-2019 11:41 PM)djeffries Wrote:  
(07-03-2019 10:19 PM)smp Wrote:  FWIW, I'm in the USA, and I purchased my G2 some months ago from a seller in Europe.

smp

I have the latest Connectivity Kit Version 2.1.14181.11.
I cannot get to the "About" on the Prime because the "Help" button (among many others) doesn't respond.
I am seeing the Operating System as Version 0 from the Connectivity Kit.
I have tried all of the suggested options for resetting the device. Currently, I have taken the battery out to let it set for a day before trying again.

Hi, first post sorry.

Return the calculator to the store where you bought it, it should be considered DOA. It's an hardare issue, I bought one last month here in Europe, and 4 or 5 keys weren't working out of the box. I returned it and got a refund, waiting September to get a new one.
07-05-2019, 10:50 PM
The packaging on the back has two small indications that it should be a G2.
The HP part number is the value 2AP18AA.
The copyright date is 2018.

The Best Buy I went to also had older units G8X92AA, with a copyright date of 2016.
The older units were wrapped in one of the string security things, that would be taken off at the cash register.
07-07-2019, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2019 10:47 AM by toml_12953.)
(07-04-2019 12:28 AM)djeffries Wrote:  I believe you are right. It does not have the G2 in a circle and the part number ends in BC01. The keypad looks like a G2. The keys are a different color than the ones on my G1. The display in the store was labeled as "2AP18AA#ABA", but was discounted $45.00 and marked "Clearance" on the receipt. (I just noticed that.) I am going to return it! I could find no markings anywhere on the packaging itself that identified it as a G2 when I was in the store. I have a G1 Prime already. Don't need another - especially one that doesn't work!

The color of the keys has little to do with the hardware revision. There are HW C calculators with both the old and new keyboards. The new keyboards didn't start with HW D (G2)

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)