emu48 now for android-OS
05-05-2019, 10:38 PM
RE: emu48 now for android-OS
For horizontal swipe of the clamshell models in portrait mode, it would be great if that only flipped the keyboard section, leaving the LCD section alone, but perhaps it would be hard to express that functionality in the KML file.

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2019, 07:39 AM
(05-05-2019 05:18 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  Really thanks for port EMU42 to Android!

But I have to report that I can't turn the calculators on (I have the roms).

The ROMs are being loaded normally.

I'm using Android 7.

I don't know if it is a bug or me!

Thanks again.

Cheers

JL

I'm sorry to hear that it does not work for you. It is weird because once you have created a new calculator, you should see a message about the memory. What is your KML files and ROM? Is the issue with all the ROMs?

(05-05-2019 05:30 PM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  Thanks a lot Regis for this !
Indeed horizontal swipe could be the way Smile

Btw, some time ago I reported to you a clock sync issue on the 48SX for emu48, anything that could be done ?

Thanks and cheers

There are still 2 important issues: this clock sync issue and the "busy" annunciator which gets stuck sometimes. This is in the TODO list. I hope it is a timers issue that I could fix.
05-06-2019, 01:43 PM
(05-05-2019 05:18 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  Really thanks for port EMU42 to Android!

But I have to report that I can't turn the calculators on (I have the roms).

The ROMs are being loaded normally.

I'm using Android 7.

I don't know if it is a bug or me!

Thanks again.

Cheers

JL

Do your ROMs work in the Windows version? They can be checked with the LEWISCRC.EXE program included with the Windows version.

— Ian Abbott
05-06-2019, 07:51 PM
Emu42 looks like a great start! So far I've noticed only a couple things to comment on. First, when testing with my "Real Calcs" skins the colors around the display seem a bit off on the 32SII and 17B, plus I think there is something wrong with the annunciator display on the 32SII. But the 14B, 17BII, 19BII, 27S, 28S, and 42S seem fine.

Second, it would be nice if we could rotate the phone to use the calculators in landscape mode, especially for the 19BII and 28S.

This is what the 32SII looks like for me, for example:

[Image: V2aHKPl.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2019, 09:56 PM
Once I had the digits upside down on the 27. Don't how I got there...
I really need to make myself a 32sii KML. This is my favourite calc and Eric's one looks good.
Thanks for the hard work.
05-07-2019, 10:48 AM
(05-06-2019 07:51 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Emu42 looks like a great start! So far I've noticed only a couple things to comment on. First, when testing with my "Real Calcs" skins the colors around the display seem a bit off on the 32SII and 17B, plus I think there is something wrong with the annunciator display on the 32SII. But the 14B, 17BII, 19BII, 27S, 28S, and 42S seem fine.

Second, it would be nice if we could rotate the phone to use the calculators in landscape mode, especially for the 19BII and 28S.

This is what the 32SII looks like for me, for example:

[Image: V2aHKPl.jpg]
In addition to the colors there are annunciators problems on both 14B and 32SII. In an earlier post in response to mine, Regis said that it is a bug in his Win32 layer rather than in your scripts.

There is a small bug in your 14B script, still - the annunciator "BEGIN" is not done properly, it is copied from the 32SII right arrow instead Smile

The screen can actually rotate, you can use the "allow screen rotation" option. Still the 19BII or 28S are either super small or hugely deformed on a phone. There is a real need to toggle the views between the 2 keyboards.

Cheers
05-07-2019, 12:52 PM
Due to the form factor I think a tablet is necessary to use the 28S or 19BII. Even with the higher resolution screens on newer phones one would need a stylus and magnifying glass to use the clamshell model calcs.
05-07-2019, 02:34 PM
(05-07-2019 12:52 PM)John Keith Wrote:  Due to the form factor I think a tablet is necessary to use the 28S or 19BII. Even with the higher resolution screens on newer phones one would need a stylus and magnifying glass to use the clamshell model calcs.

Actually, after rotating the phone, I can see the 28S and 19BII just fine on my 3-year-old Galaxy S7 Edge, and I can use it just fine with my fingers. And newer phones, with even bigger screens, should make it even easier (mine is "only" 5.5 inches).

The ability to turn off the notification bar to get a little more height would make it even better, though, so that would be a nice enhancement.
05-07-2019, 02:40 PM
(05-07-2019 10:48 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  There is a small bug in your 14B script, still - the annunciator "BEGIN" is not done properly, it is copied from the 32SII right arrow instead Smile

The screen can actually rotate, you can use the "allow screen rotation" option. Still the 19BII or 28S are either super small or hugely deformed on a phone. There is a real need to toggle the views between the 2 keyboards.

Thank you! I can't believe I forgot about rotation.

I do plan to make updated versions of the "real" images for Emu42, though I have a bit too much other stuff going on right now. Maybe in a month or so. I plan to make higher resolution versions that look better on the phone and also fix bugs like you reported.

Since I published the scripts over 1.5 years ago, not a single person said anything to me about them until now, so I assumed nobody was using them, which is why I previously had no incentive to improve them.
05-07-2019, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2019 09:16 PM by aamiel.)
Eric, thanks for your scripts. I have now that 32sii on my phone. I wasn't using your scripts as I hardly use a computer anymore.

Now for an other bug, on the 32sii, the decimal dots don't turn off.
05-30-2019, 08:00 AM
Here is an update version of the previous APK (Emu42-v1.4a1.apk), and I change the version to 1.0 (its not the final version yet) in the zip file Emu42ForAndroid-2019-05-18-1.0a-Binary.zip, so, you may have to uninstall the previous version 1.4.

It should fix the issue with the screen.

There is no ROM and no KML script. You can uncompress the following file Emu42-Faceplates-without-ROM.zip in your Android folder, add your ROM (because of HP copyright): HP14B.ROM, HP17B.ROM, HP17BII.ROM, HP19BII.ROM, HP27S.ROM, HP28S.ROM, HP32SII.ROM, HP42S.ROM.
And then, when creating a new calc "New...", you must first select the folder with the KML scripts and ROMs.

By default following the aspect ratio of the KML image, it should automatically rotate the screen. There is an other mode to pan and zoom...
Do not hesitate to report bugs.
05-30-2019, 09:11 AM
Thanks Regis !
The screen is fine now. 32SII works well.
I have no more kmi loading errors... well, provided I use Eric's scripts. Christoph's ones still fail. No idea why.
The zoom mode is nice, I can now use 19BII and 28S on my phone somehow Smile I just have 2 requests:
1/As someone mentioned before, anyway to have the LCD part stick to the screen when swiping the 2 calc parts ?
2/Anyway that the layout settings (zoom mode, fill screen...) be part of the saved state, rather than being global to the app ? The zoom mode is appropriate for clamshells but not for pioneers, so I have to modify settings if I switch calc...

Thanks a lot again ! Cheers
05-31-2019, 04:11 PM
(05-30-2019 09:11 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  Thanks Regis !
I have no more kmi loading errors... well, provided I use Eric's scripts. Christoph's ones still fail. No idea why.
The zoom mode is nice, I can now use 19BII and 28S on my phone somehow Smile I just have 2 requests:
1/As someone mentioned before, anyway to have the LCD part stick to the screen when swiping the 2 calc parts ?
2/Anyway that the layout settings (zoom mode, fill screen...) be part of the saved state, rather than being global to the app ? The zoom mode is appropriate for clamshells but not for pioneers, so I have to modify settings if I switch calc...

All the Christoph's scripts work for me after solving the case sensitivity issues. Could you post the "KML Compilation Result" (to switch on in the settings) for your failed scripts, please?

For 1), I think that is is doable.
For 2), it sounds difficult. Or may be, I could add some data at the end of the state file...
05-31-2019, 04:20 PM
(05-31-2019 04:11 PM)Regis Cosnier Wrote:  
(05-30-2019 09:11 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  Thanks Regis !

All the Christoph's scripts work for me after solving the case sensitivity issues. Could you post the "KML Compilation Result" (to switch on in the settings) for your failed scripts, please?

For 1), I think that is is doable.
For 2), it sounds difficult. Or may be, I could add some data at the end of the state file...
Thanks Regis.

Actually I made the KMLs work too after changing the kmi file names, no issue any more Smile there is a small bug in Eric's 14b KML file, the BEGIN annunciator is replaced with the right arrow, but since the 14b is not the most interesting machine...

Thanks for looking into my suggestions.

One small issue, I don't understand what the propose of the "auto-rotate" option in the layout menu is for, since all modes rotate anyway, and auto-rotate is not an opposite option to fill screen for instance, so should't the rotation behaviour be a setting by itself ?

Last point on emu42, anyway to include the low-end 10b/20s/21s ? I think Christoph was working on this ?

Re emu48, are the timing issues on the way for fixing ? Any such timer issues on emu42 ? Didn't see any so far, but didn't test a lot...

Thanks a lot and cheers
05-31-2019, 04:37 PM
Just one last last thing:
The LCD chars on the 32SII are straight, whereas on the original they are slanted. Anyway to get the same thing ? Is it because of the code or the kml ?
06-05-2019, 11:05 AM
(05-31-2019 04:20 PM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  ...
One small issue, I don't understand what the propose of the "auto-rotate" option in the layout menu is for, since all modes rotate anyway, and auto-rotate is not an opposite option to fill screen for instance, so should't the rotation behaviour be a setting by itself ?

Last point on emu42, anyway to include the low-end 10b/20s/21s ? I think Christoph was working on this ?

Re emu48, are the timing issues on the way for fixing ? Any such timer issues on emu42 ? Didn't see any so far, but didn't test a lot...

(05-31-2019 04:37 PM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  Just one last last thing:
The LCD chars on the 32SII are straight, whereas on the original they are slanted. Anyway to get the same thing ? Is it because of the code or the kml ?

I already published the application version 1.0 in my web site and in Google Play store.

For the moment, the "Layout" options is single choice list:
* None: to put display the whole calculator in the screen whatever the device orientation.
* Auto Rotation (default): to automatically rotate the screen to match the ratios of the device screen and the calculator.
* Auto Zoom: usefull for the clamshell calculator, it zooms the right part of the calculator if the ratios of the device screen and the calculator do not match.
* Fill Screen: whatever the orientation, the calculator is extended to the edges of the screen.

You right, it is still not yet perfect.
The auto-rotate option forces the Android orientation to Portrait or Landscape (left or right following the sensor).

For the next version 1.1,
I could add an other "Rotation" option with a single choice list:
* Allow rotation
* Portrait
* Landscape (left or right following the sensor)

And the option "Layout/Auto Rotation" could be constraint by the option "Rotation".

The original emulator Emu42 of Christoph Giesselink does not include the Emu10 emulation, so this application either.

When trying to port Emu71, I had to change the timer engine in the Win32 layer, so Emu42 version 1.0 already have it, and the future Emu48 version 1.4 will have it.
Form what I can see, it fix the issue about the stuck annonciator. The clock seems unsynchronized sometimes but it is synchronized again when you leave and start again the application.

I did not pay attention to this slanted LCD chars on the 32SII. But it is the way Christoph did it, and I'm not ready to modify its source code.
His work is already fantastic. And to me, it sounds difficult to display a pixel as a parallelogram instead of a square!
06-05-2019, 11:21 AM
(06-05-2019 11:05 AM)Regis Cosnier Wrote:  
(05-31-2019 04:20 PM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  ...

(05-31-2019 04:37 PM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  Just one last last thing:

I already published the application version 1.0 in my web site and in Google Play store.

For the moment, the "Layout" options is single choice list:
* None: to put display the whole calculator in the screen whatever the device orientation.
* Auto Rotation (default): to automatically rotate the screen to match the ratios of the device screen and the calculator.
* Auto Zoom: usefull for the clamshell calculator, it zooms the right part of the calculator if the ratios of the device screen and the calculator do not match.
* Fill Screen: whatever the orientation, the calculator is extended to the edges of the screen.

You right, it is still not yet perfect.
The auto-rotate option forces the Android orientation to Portrait or Landscape (left or right following the sensor).

For the next version 1.1,
* Allow rotation
* Portrait

And the option "Layout/Auto Rotation" could be constraint by the option "Rotation".

The original emulator Emu42 of Christoph Giesselink does not include the Emu10 emulation, so this application either.

When trying to port Emu71, I had to change the timer engine in the Win32 layer, so Emu42 version 1.0 already have it, and the future Emu48 version 1.4 will have it.
Form what I can see, it fix the issue about the stuck annonciator. The clock seems unsynchronized sometimes but it is synchronized again when you leave and start again the application.

I did not pay attention to this slanted LCD chars on the 32SII. But it is the way Christoph did it, and I'm not ready to modify its source code.
His work is already fantastic. And to me, it sounds difficult to display a pixel as a parallelogram instead of a square!

Thanks a lot Régis !
Any differences from the 1.0 you published here a while ago and the one on Play ? Any need to upgrade ?

One good thing maybe would be to parse the KMLs case insensitive, to avoid any reading problem.

Olivier de Smet (oulan on this forum) made a beta go32sii... and managed to get slanted pixels Wink

If you have KMLS that are better suited for Android, I would love so. Those photos are blur at times, and the touch capture zones are limited to the keys themselves, they do not include the surroundings, so I have a lot of key strokes.

Any time line for emu48 1.4, macros and printer simulation for emu42 ?

Thanks again for the fantastic work and cheers.
06-06-2019, 02:28 PM
(06-05-2019 11:05 AM)Regis Cosnier Wrote:  For the next version 1.1,
* Allow rotation
* Portrait

I finally got to try the app out now that it is in the Google Play store. Excellent work!

One thing I'd quite like is some sort of volume control because the beeps always make me jump or make my colleagues glance in my direction. (Yes, I know they can be turned off. Smile ) On the Windows version, there is a 'Volume' slider which seems to set the 'dwWaveVol' variable in the range 0 to 256, and this gets stored in the saved settings. The same thing could be done on the Android app, or perhaps it could be controlled in a more Android-native way.

— Ian Abbott
06-06-2019, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 11:02 PM by Giuseppe Donnini.)
Regarding emu71 for android:
I've just compiled an instance of emu71 to try it out. Excellent work. But the entire port configuration dialogue (Main Menu > Edit > Port Configuration ...) seems to be missing, which dramatically limits the usefulness of the emulator.

Regarding all three android emulators:
Is there any chance to make the transparency settings from the KML file actually work?
06-07-2019, 09:33 PM
(06-05-2019 11:21 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  ...
Any differences from the 1.0 you published here a while ago and the one on Play ? Any need to upgrade ?

One good thing maybe would be to parse the KMLs case insensitive, to avoid any reading problem.

Olivier de Smet (oulan on this forum) made a beta go32sii... and managed to get slanted pixels Wink

If you have KMLS that are better suited for Android, I would love so. Those photos are blur at times, and the touch capture zones are limited to the keys themselves, they do not include the surroundings, so I have a lot of key strokes.

Any time line for emu48 1.4, macros and printer simulation for emu42 ?

Thanks again for the fantastic work and cheers.

This new Emu42 version 1.0 (sorry for the 1.0 repetition) add the new timer engine (same algorithm than in WINE), and the landscape can be right or left depending on the sensor!

For the case sensitivity, the only thing that can be done is to read all the filenames in the KML folder and search without case sensitivity... But I'm afraid that it will not be very optimal.
It is easier to fix the KML files.

Here the KMLs I have with the case sensitivity fixed:
* The best skins from Eric Rechlin.
* The original skins provided with Emu42 for Windows from Christoph Giesselink and Erik Ehrling.

I hope to release Emu48 1.4 tomorrow if I have the time.
For the macro and printer, later. I do that in my spare time, so, nothing is schedule. But may be in the coming month.

(06-06-2019 02:28 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  ...
I finally got to try the app out now that it is in the Google Play store. Excellent work!

One thing I'd quite like is some sort of volume control because the beeps always make me jump or make my colleagues glance in my direction. (Yes, I know they can be turned off. Smile ) On the Windows version, there is a 'Volume' slider which seems to set the 'dwWaveVol' variable in the range 0 to 256, and this gets stored in the saved settings. The same thing could be done on the Android app, or perhaps it could be controlled in a more Android-native way.

I just replaced the switch with a slider from 0 to 255! Hope it's ok for you.
It is in Github for all 3 emulators. Not yet officially released in built app.

(06-06-2019 06:18 PM)Giuseppe Donnini Wrote:  Regarding emu71 for android:
I've just compiled an instance of emu71 to try it out. Excellent work. But the entire port configuration dialogue (Main Menu > Edit > Port Configuration ...) seems to be missing, which dramatically limits the use of the emulator.

Regarding all three android emulators:
Is there any chance to make the transparency settings from the KML file actually work?

Emu71 for Android is still a work in progress. I hope to add it when I have the time.

For the transparency, I don't know what to do. Actually, I'm not sure to have understood what is it. I put an option to fill the space around the calculator with that color, but may be it is not enough.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)