48G+/58C/85B/PC1500A
TH-78A/DooGee S9
Focal & All Basic´s
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2019, 01:24 PM
RE: LCD for pocket computer?
Hello,

it is extremely cheap but will cost you lots of time to get working because it is not compatiible with any other such devices. Read the comments in the link above. No backlight option either, 5V only. I rather stick with existing Arduino perpherials which cost one Dollar more but can be used straight out of the box.

Regards
Max
Find all posts by this user
04-28-2019, 05:00 PM
Quote:WARNING: May cause cancer or reproductive harm.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
04-28-2019, 08:42 PM
(04-28-2019 05:00 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
Quote:WARNING: May cause cancer or reproductive harm.

They have one of the best explanations I have seen for the unintended side effects of the Prop 65 law in California.

"Why is this here?

As of August 2018 the State of California has changed the requirements of the "Prop 65" law. We now must list on our website any possible chemicals the can cause cancer, birth defects or reproductive problem.

As an example:
ABS plastic contains styrene
PVC wire insulation can contain Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP)
electrolytic capacitors can contain Ethylene glycol
Brass can contain Lead
flame retardant pc boards can contain Tetrabromobisphenol A (TBBPA)
Aluminum alloys can contain Chromium

To put it simply we are a small company and do not have the resources to test every single part, so we list every thing as hazardous. Please recycle all electronic parts responsibly and under no circumstance eat, drink or smoke these parts and wash your hands after touching!"

Those of us the live here see the Prop 65 warning labels literally everywhere. The other day I saw one on a rack of freshly made french bread near the checkout line at the grocery store. We all just ignore them.
04-28-2019, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2019 09:12 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
Thank you for the explanation.

(04-28-2019 08:42 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Those of us the live here see the Prop 65 warning labels literally everywhere. The other day I saw one on a rack of freshly made french bread near the checkout line at the grocery store. We all just ignore them.

Really useful effect for a warning! :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
04-29-2019, 01:35 AM
(04-28-2019 09:10 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Thank you for the explanation.

(04-28-2019 08:42 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Those of us the live here see the Prop 65 warning labels literally everywhere. The other day I saw one on a rack of freshly made french bread near the checkout line at the grocery store. We all just ignore them.

Really useful effect for a warning! Smile

California would slap a warning on bottled water because lab rats have been known to drown in large enough quantities. Prop 65 sounds like a joke, but the list of things I can't buy or have shipped here is no laughing matter!

All hail our Protective Overlords Smile
~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
04-29-2019, 05:15 AM
(04-28-2019 01:24 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  will cost you lots of time to get working because it is not compatible with any other such devices. Read the comments in the link above. No backlight option either, 5V only.

Are you saying it's not compatible with the other common intelligent character LCDs that everybody and their dog sells? I've used lots of the latter over the last 33 years and never had any trouble with them. I already have working code for them. Did you find a difference?

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
04-29-2019, 10:16 AM
Hello!

(04-29-2019 05:15 AM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  Are you saying it's not compatible with the other common intelligent character LCDs that everybody and their dog sells? I've used lots of the latter over the last 33 years and never had any trouble with them. I already have working code for them. Did you find a difference?

I do not have one of these. All I know about it comes from the comments in the listing above. As it is delivered, it has a parallel interface requiring 8 + 3 (or 4) lines to the microcontroller. Far too many for a dumb display. I can be configured for serial mode (I2C) but this requires some "surgery" on the PCB that seems to come with a high probability of destoying the display. And then there are some additional caveats like setting all data lines to high when the display is not adressed because otherwise the power consumption will be very high. Stuff like that will require (time consuming) modifications to existing display driver software.

Regards
Max

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)