size limit of jpg attachments
03-29-2019, 01:39 PM
size limit of jpg attachments
Can the size limits for jpg file attachments be increased from the current 500k?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2019, 04:43 PM
RE: size limit of jpg attachments
For now, you can just re-saving the images (#5)
04-06-2019, 02:01 AM
(03-29-2019 04:43 PM)Leonid Wrote:  For now, you can just re-saving the images (#5)

OK, thanks, I went back to my camera's manual to see how to save a picture with a lower quality, and that worked, I could crop it to less than 512k.
04-06-2019, 04:50 PM
(04-06-2019 02:01 AM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 04:43 PM)Leonid Wrote:  For now, you can just re-saving the images (#5)

OK, thanks, I went back to my camera's manual to see how to save a picture with a lower quality, and that worked, I could crop it to less than 512k.

You don't have to do it on the camera. If you are using Windows, I'd recommend a simple viewing/editing tool such as IrfanView to resize it.

— Ian Abbott
04-09-2019, 10:52 PM
(04-06-2019 04:50 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  You don't have to do it on the camera. If you are using Windows, I'd recommend a simple viewing/editing tool such as IrfanView to resize it.

Thanks Ian. I'm using a Chromebook. There is probably a Chrome app for editing jpg files, but it seems like most apps have terrible ratings, so I'll just do it on my camera, now that I know how.
04-13-2019, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2019 07:37 PM by Dave Hicks.)
A large part of the reason for having a limit on jpg sizes is to discourage uploading images straight out of a camera. If you load it up in an image editor, you can straighten, crop, improve contrast and color balance, resize and save at a reasonable compression ratio and typically you get a picture that looks better and takes about 3-10% of the space of the original. That in turn means you can attach way more images before you run up against your total attachment quota.

For example, I just grabbed your (Don's) 488K cubes picture (I had that puzzle too) and denoised, resized to about 900 pixels wide, sharpened, brightened, and saved it at a quality level that looked great to me and it came out at 23K. You might have disagreed on my exact choices of size and brightness, but it gives you an idea of what can be done. (Assuming the goal was just to show people what the puzzle was, I resized it further to 250 pixels wide, turned up the jpeg compression, and could get it under 2K!)

By the way, the forum software says our average attachment size is 99KB and our largest attachments are all PDF files. I'm not going to name names but the forum software says our 5 most popular attachments are all images in the 11K-19K range.

I don’t know anything about what you can do or can't do on a Chromebook though. I do see that GIMP appears to be available! I would expect that to be decent at least.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-17-2019, 03:02 PM
thanks Dave.

The Chromebook is a nice system, but it has two major problems.

The cloud printer keeps getting "disconnected", seemingly at random. You've got to jump through hoops to get it connected again. When it works, it works fine, however.

Extensions (like the Gimp you mentioned) are available and most are free, but many have negative ratings. This could be from people who just don't understand how to use something, but I almost never download extensions these days, I like keeping my system clean and uncluttered (a lifetime of using Windows has made me this way).

I still yearn for punch cards; you can't hack them and they never get a virus!
04-17-2019, 06:39 PM
If you're really nervous about viruses, maybe keep the Chromebook for banking but use a regular computer for everything else? My mom used to download anything and everything. Then she got a virus and after that she would only run stuff that I installed. I think she overdid it in both directions! I've been using Paint Shop Pro (On Windows) for 20 years to alter my images and I trust it.

In any case, if you upload 500KB pictures, you can upload about 16 of them here. If you upload 20KB pictures you can upload about 400 of them.
04-17-2019, 07:10 PM
I originally bought a Chromebook when the school where I taught math made them available for all students. I continued to use my Win PC XP for awhile and eventually put it in the closet. My wife uses a Win 7 PC, but a recent experience reminded me of the reason that I wanted to move away from Windows.

One day recently she went to login to Windows and it said something like "invalid user settings." Nothing I tried would allow her to login to her account. I Googled the exact error message and the advice was to start mucking around with that thing, I forget the name now, it's where Windows stores all sorts of things and warns you not to muck around with it. Anyhow, I had to take her PC into the local shop and they fixed it for $79. I've never had a problem like that with the Chromebook.

Before I stored my Win XP in the closet I copied everything in "My documents" to a thumb drive so I can access old things on the Chromebook, and that has come in handy occasionally.

It would be nice if the forum software included an editor that could be used to shrink large pdf's or jpg's. But that's probably asking too much.
04-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Well I've never had that with Windows either. I do backups but have never had to use one yet. But stuff certainly could happen. I'd most likely create another account and recover to that if it happened.

No I don't think this forum is likely to become an image and/or pdf editor! Smile If it tried, it would probably get worse reviews than those that are keeping you from trying any on the Chromebook! Better to let a forum be a forum and an image editor be an image editor I think.

Maybe you'd like Mac OS?
04-17-2019, 09:13 PM
(04-17-2019 07:38 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  Maybe you'd like Mac OS?

While my first computer was an Apple ][ and I bought the original 128k Macintosh as soon as it was announced in 1984, I'll leave the current Mac products for the younger generation. Can you buy a Mac laptop for under $200? I didn't think so. One of these days Apple's bubble is going to burst.

And don't get me started on the subject of iphones, or smart phones in general. My daughter is always after me to buy an iphone. I ask her how much she spends for her phone and data plan; I think she said around $300 per month. I pay $17 per month for my cell phone for seniors; no data plan or texting which I don't need. It's a no-brainer.
04-17-2019, 09:58 PM
OK so you're a Linux guy.
04-17-2019, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2019 12:06 AM by Don Shepherd.)
(04-17-2019 09:58 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  OK so you're a Linux guy.

Actually, I know nothing about Linux.

I'm just a cheap old guy, enjoying the "golden" years!

We don't say it enough, but thanks for all you do, Dave. This forum is priceless and has added so much to my life for the past decade or so.

oh, I remembered that thing in Windows that they tell you not to monkey with -- the Registry.
04-18-2019, 05:15 AM
I have a Chromebook too - if I open an image, I can resize it, crop it and tweak brightness and contrast, using the built in image viewer and editor (pencil icon in the top right cluster, next to print)

I can also rotate by 90 degrees. To rotate by smaller angles, I'd upload to Google Photos and edit there: there's a fine-tune rotate tool built into the crop function. (In fact, I can do this on my phone or chromebook.)
04-18-2019, 05:46 AM
(04-18-2019 05:15 AM)EdS2 Wrote:  I have a Chromebook too - if I open an image, I can resize it, crop it and tweak brightness and contrast, using the built in image viewer and editor (pencil icon in the top right cluster, next to print)

thanks EdS2. Yes, I've used that to reduce the filesize of jpg's by cropping, but it is still difficult to get the filesize down to under 500kb for an image that starts out at 3.4gb. The key was to capture the image on my camera at a lower quality setting, but then reset that camera setting for pictures I want prints of.
04-18-2019, 12:56 PM
(04-18-2019 05:46 AM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  thanks EdS2. Yes, I've used that to reduce the filesize of jpg's by cropping, but it is still difficult to get the filesize down to under 500kb for an image that starts out at 3.4gb. The key was to capture the image on my camera at a lower quality setting, but then reset that camera setting for pictures I want prints of.

Holy smokes Batman, that must be one bodacious camera!! Wink

--Bob Prosperi
04-18-2019, 02:47 PM
(04-18-2019 12:56 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(04-18-2019 05:46 AM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  thanks EdS2. Yes, I've used that to reduce the filesize of jpg's by cropping, but it is still difficult to get the filesize down to under 500kb for an image that starts out at 3.4gb. The key was to capture the image on my camera at a lower quality setting, but then reset that camera setting for pictures I want prints of.

ah, my bad, make that mb. I don't know what I was thinking. My camera is a nice Fujifilm, but not THAT nice. Not like the Hasselblads Neil Armstrong took to the moon 50 years ago this July (they weren't digital of course).
04-18-2019, 05:39 PM
(04-18-2019 12:56 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  

You would need the Hasselblad H6D-400c who used 6 shots of 100 mega-pixels to create a single shot of 400 mega-pixels saved in a 2.5gb raw file.

If you can afford it ... $48K USD ... Wink

Links: hasselblad & bhphotovideo
04-18-2019, 05:39 PM
(04-17-2019 11:40 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Actually, I know nothing about Linux.

I'm just a cheap old guy, enjoying the "golden" years!

That's why I said you're a Linux guy! Smile Linux is cheap as in Free! Besides based on what I can google, Chrome OS is a stripped down Linux kernel - just enough to run a browser. So you're already using a tiny Linux. A more full-featured Linux distro would probably happily install on the Windows XP machine that you put in the closet.

Also if I search for image resizer, I get lots of results for things that will do that on the web. Probably none of them are as good as Gimp/paint shop/photoshop in terms of options, control and speed, but they're worth a look.
04-18-2019, 06:41 PM
(04-18-2019 05:39 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  Also if I search for image resizer, I get lots of results for things that will do that on the web. Probably none of them are as good as Gimp/paint shop/photoshop in terms of options, control and speed, but they're worth a look.

thanks Dave, I'll take a look at some of these.

Don

@sylvain

I'm glad to see that Hasselblad is still on the scene. Those moon pix were so fantastic. I bought some of them from NASA back in the day.

When I think back to July, 1969 and remember that the whole world was behind the US and those brave men on the moon, everyone rooting for them, it saddens me that we aren't able to have that feeling anymore.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)