Connecting a keyboard to a HP Prime G2? And other questions.
02-17-2019, 05:39 PM
RE: Connecting a keyboard to a HP Prime G2? And other questions.
(02-17-2019 05:33 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  I guess the battery life would be better than using a laptop.

Don't bank on it. The calculator's battery life will take a significant hit by powering the keyboard!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2019, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2019 06:21 PM by pier4r.)
Reflecting on the question of the keyboard.

I remember clearly that when qwerty phones were available (the glorious nokia e5) I used the small integrated keyboard much more effectively than the modern touchscreen keyboards.

I may have bad fingers but the touchscreen ones really don't cut it.

A small keyboard (that fits in the palm of an hand) may help to type medium programs in the calculator. Then again one gets used to the keyboard of the calculator that has already a keyboard. I remember swearing for the non-qwerty setup of the 50g, but after a while I just learned to use it. It is about memory training. And once learned it is a keyboard like all others.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
02-17-2019, 06:35 PM
(02-17-2019 06:20 PM)pier4r Wrote:  I remember clearly that when qwerty phones were available (the glorious nokia e5

I used to own a Nokia E7 and still own an E72. They were great phones for their time.

In fact, a friend of mine from nearby and myself were the top two participants on the old Nokia support forum and we regularly got goodies from Nokia for our participation. I got 4 new flagship phones out of them over the years (an N96 which was a bit of a disaster so I sold it on and bought a 5800 XpressMusic with the proceeds, then the E7, an N9 and finally a Lumia 1020).
02-17-2019, 11:11 PM
Man, I had no idea the HP community was so active, I love it!

Thanks for that information Tyann! For some reason it didn't even occur to me that the touch screen could be useful in programs.

Guenter and pier4r, that's great! I'll get Notepad++ downloaded and use that utility!

Thanks for clarifying pier4r, I agree that there's definitely a lot more speculation about what you could do with C than people actually doing it, but isn't that true with every language? It's easy to speculate, but it's hard to actually do it. Tongue
I linked those programs that I didn't write as examples so you wouldn't have to search for them yourself, I'll cut that down to just programs and things I've done though. (That picture utility is my work however Smile )

Why do I want to get a keyboard connected? My main reason is what Stephen said, having a qwerty keyboard to work with. I know I'll eventually get use to the ABCDEF layout on the Prime like I did with my TI 84 Plus CE, but since everything on the Prime is ASCII based rather than token based interface of the TI 84 lineup, it would be MUCH more useful to have a qwerty keyboard to type commands in rather than trying to use the keypad or find the command through all the (sub)menus. It'd also be fun to use in programs and very useful for using the Notes and on-calc programming features.

grsbanks, you bring up an interesting point, although I never had any battery issues with the (wired) keyboard and my CE (which had 1,200 mAh), do you know if the Prime is really that much more power hungry when it's connected to something like the keyboard? If so, how do you know this? I thought there wasn't much development in the USB sector.

Cemetech | YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-18-2019, 07:48 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2019 07:48 AM by grsbanks.)
(02-17-2019 11:11 PM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  grsbanks, you bring up an interesting point, although I never had any battery issues with the (wired) keyboard and my CE (which had 1,200 mAh), do you know if the Prime is really that much more power hungry when it's connected to something like the keyboard? If so, how do you know this? I thought there wasn't much development in the USB sector.

I wouldn't be able to quantify it precisely but it just stands to reason. The keyboard has to get its power from somewhere, and that somewhere is the USB host that it's connected to.

The Prime actually has a larger battery than the CE at 1,500mAh for the G1 and, I think, 2,000mAh for the G2.

What I do know is that a keyboard's typical power requirement is in the 50mA range. It'll be less than, for example, the screen backlight for the CE or the Prime but it's not insignificant.

If you want to use a PC keyboard with your calculator, that tells me that you're not out and about (do you really want a 102-key keyboard in your backpack?) but rather at your desk. This being the case, you'll probably find it easier to use the Virtual Prime through the ConnKit to develop on and then transfer stuff to the physical Prime once you're done.
02-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Actually you can get some quite small keyboards and I use the Prime Emulator on Android.
I have recently acquired an Otg phone, so I could attach a qwerty keyboard and use that for sending messages and editing word documents, only switching to AZ touchscreen keyboard when using the Prime.
Whether those smaller keyboards use less power than the full-size ones I don't know.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
02-18-2019, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I probably wont be programming too much on-calc on the go, I've basically switched to desktop programming. Though I did find a portable, roll-up keyboard on Amazon. Tongue

I got the free Prime emulator, (I found it funny it had 48 MB of RAM free but over 8 TB of ROM free) but it doesn't seem to support programming. I suppose that comes with the $20 version but I can't really get that. Is there a third party emulator that can dump my ROM and use the ROM image?

Unrelated, I found an HP Sprocket and out of curiosity I connected my Prime to it via the USB mico A to micro B adapter. I wasn't expecting it to work, but what did surprise me was that it got the Prime stuck in a boot loop until I unplugged it. I thought at first that it was because the Sprocket was trying to draw power from the Prime and the Prime didn't like that, but then I tested a fan that I connected to my CE (I also tested that much bigger fan in the video that my CE couldn't power, the Prime powered it just fine though the battery drained really quickly). Why would the Prime get stuck in a boot loop like that?

Cemetech | YouTube
02-18-2019, 09:25 PM
(02-18-2019 08:01 PM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  I got the free Prime emulator, (I found it funny it had 48 MB of RAM free but over 8 TB of ROM free) but it doesn't seem to support programming. I suppose that comes with the $20 version but I can't really get that. Is there a third party emulator that can dump my ROM and use the ROM image?

Did you get the Virtual calculator for either PC or MAC? That would help significantly to code something.

Günter
02-18-2019, 09:48 PM
(02-18-2019 08:01 PM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  but then I tested a fan that I connected to my CE

(11-17-2018 02:58 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  As for the TI 89 titanium, you are correct in not counting it in your collection. I have one that is very useful as a paper weight or a door stop.

I'm totally going to steal that: it's useful as a power bank for my mini-fan.

Thanks for the chuckle!
Thomas
02-19-2019, 06:46 AM
(02-18-2019 07:48 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(02-17-2019 11:11 PM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  grsbanks, you bring up an interesting point, although I never had any battery issues with the (wired) keyboard and my CE (which had 1,200 mAh), do you know if the Prime is really that much more power hungry when it's connected to something like the keyboard? If so, how do you know this? I thought there wasn't much development in the USB sector.

If you want to use a PC keyboard with your calculator, that tells me that you're not out and about (do you really want a 102-key keyboard in your backpack?) but rather at your desk. This being the case, you'll probably find it easier to use the Virtual Prime through the ConnKit to develop on and then transfer stuff to the physical Prime once you're done.

My non-PC but mini-kb has it's own battery.
I think it's smaller than Prime.
I'll try to fit both into a picture later
now I have to study.
02-27-2019, 01:31 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2019 01:31 AM by TheLastMillennial.)
I've been having a frequent issue where when I have my Prime connected to my computer and the HP Connect is open. Sometimes when the cable gets bumped, or when I purposefully take it out, my Prime freezes and I have to use the reset button to get it back to normal. So far I haven't lost any information, but my apps keep getting disorganized whenever it occurs (why is that?) and I'd like to know if I'm disconnecting it wrong? Is there a 'eject' feature that safely disconnects the Prime?

Another question: why can't the Prime do an integral with limits of some number n to x? Although the TI 84 Plus CE can't do that either (on the calculation screen), it can at least graph it. The Prime won't even do that, it just gives a NaN value for each point and even errors out in CAS view. Why is this and is there a way I can get it to work?
Here's what I'm talking about:
[Image: sPLPIj4.gif]
(Note: I had the throttle turned off on the CE emulator, it's not nearly that fast on a physical calculator)

Cemetech | YouTube
02-27-2019, 11:28 AM
Try using a variable other than X in your integral as the dummy variable. Works for me when I do that!

Nigel (UK)
02-27-2019, 06:38 PM
(02-27-2019 11:28 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Try using a variable other than X in your integral as the dummy variable. Works for me when I do that!

Nigel (UK)
That's not quite what I'm looking for. When a variable is in the limits of the integral, the calculator just replaces that variable with the numeric value that's stored in it. For example, lets say U=3
If I do the integral of U^2 from 0 to U with respect to U then it just becomes
The integral of U^2 from 0 to 3 with respect to U rather than becoming (U^3)/3.

Cemetech | YouTube
02-27-2019, 07:07 PM
(02-27-2019 06:38 PM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  
(02-27-2019 11:28 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Try using a variable other than X in your integral as the dummy variable. Works for me when I do that!

Nigel (UK)
That's not quite what I'm looking for. When a variable is in the limits of the integral, the calculator just replaces that variable with the numeric value that's stored in it. For example, lets say U=3

PURGE the variable first.
Maybe quote works? zzzzzz....
02-27-2019, 07:54 PM
(02-27-2019 06:38 PM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  

Nigel (UK)

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I've got X set as the independent variable and I'm using C as the variable of integration (what I called the dummy variable in my first post). The integral I've typed in is
$$\int_1^{X^2}\!3C^2+2C-1 \;{\rm d} C$$
and, when graphed, this gives the same graph as shown on your TI-84 CE emulator. I think that the errors that the Prime returns are due to the use of the independent variable as a variable of integration.

For what it's worth, the physical Prime (I have a version 1) is quite a lot faster at drawing the graph than the TI-84 CE emulator in your screen capture. Prime FTW!

Nigel (UK)
02-27-2019, 11:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2019 01:45 AM by TheLastMillennial.)
Ohhhhh! That makes a lot more sense, thanks!

Yeah the Prime is much faster at literally everything than the CE except at booting up, the CE is just a split second faster at that! Tongue

EDIT: Does anyone else have an issue with the Prime being super slow at graphing the integral from 0 to x of sqrt(A)-cos(e^A) with respect to A ? My CE even graphed (and errored out) faster than the Prime even got through its third graphing pass. Even pressing [on] won't break out of the graph. I had to reset it to get it back to working. My windows was
xmin=0
xmax=18
ymin=0
ymax=5

Cemetech | YouTube
03-03-2019, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2019 07:54 PM by TheLastMillennial.)
I was wondering, is there any way to make a shell for the Prime? Something that can group Apps and Programs into one application? I know it's possible to detect if a program doesn't exist on the Prime, but is there a way to detect what programs do exist without running them?

Cemetech | YouTube
03-04-2019, 05:42 AM
Bonjour

La variable 'Programs' renvoie la liste des programmes en mémoire, avec POS vous pouvez tester
si un programme est présent ou non.
Malheureusement il n'existe pas d'équivalent pour les applications dommage !

Hello

The variable 'Programs' returns the list of programs in memory, with the POS instruction you can test
whether a program is present or not.
Unfortunately there is no equivalent for the applications !

Sorry for my english
03-28-2020, 04:10 AM
(02-15-2019 06:07 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello
>1. Does the Prime have an app to graph 3D parametric equations
Nope, only Z= ones at the moment

Cyrille, please explain why the Prime G2, now at the end of March 2020, still lacks graphing of 3D parametric equations, and please also speculate on when it might come to the Prime.

Thank you.
03-28-2020, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2020 11:38 AM by toml_12953.)
(02-27-2019 01:31 AM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  Another question: why can't the Prime do an integral with limits of some number n to x? Although the TI 84 Plus CE can't do that either (on the calculation screen), it can at least graph it. The Prime won't even do that, it just gives a NaN value for each point and even errors out in CAS view. Why is this and is there a way I can get it to work?

What version are you using? I have a Prime G2 with the latest (2020 01 21) OS and it works fine. See attachment.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)