New G2 HP Prime
12-29-2018, 11:19 PM
RE: New G2 HP Prime
(12-29-2018 10:48 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  In a nutshell, more RAM (256 MB instead of 32 MB), more Flash (512 MB instead of 256 MB), updated faster processor (528MHz Cortex A7 instead of 400MHz ARM9). It also has a new hardware-layer kernel (FreeRTOS). The performance increase is quite a bit more than the clock increase would suggest.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Prime

wyattwong Best not consider all that G2 goodness though since you will have a hard time buying it in the US and Canada due to HP's marketing ineptness.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2018, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2018 10:16 AM by CyberAngel.)
Could the board be this (WiFi & LCD) :

.pdf  MYS-6ULX.pdf (Size: 1.56 MB / Downloads: 98)

.pdf  IMX_6ULL_Fact_sheet.pdf (Size: 292.34 KB / Downloads: 65)
12-30-2018, 09:58 PM
G2 has less battery life.
12-31-2018, 07:15 PM
(12-30-2018 10:15 AM)CyberAngel Wrote:  Could the board be this (WiFi & LCD) :

The board is custom, but it does integrate an i.MX6ULL SoC. I haven't finished the reverse-engineering on it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it shares a lot of similarities with the MCIMX6ULL-EVK, which is probably what Cyrille posted a picture of earlier this month (http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-119...#pid109038).
01-06-2019, 12:36 PM
Hi All,

In French school, teachers recommend CASIO or TI calculators but students learn to use XCAS !!!

As a fan of HP for over 30 years (HP 85B, 15C, 28C, 28S, 48SX, 48GX, 49G, Prime), I bought HP Prime for my children.

It's really a shame HP has changed its involvement in calculators !

Khôi
01-07-2019, 07:35 AM
Hello,

The Prime board is based on the NXP standard board, with some options in and some out. We also added some minor things like keyboard or battery measurement.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
01-10-2019, 09:38 PM
(11-11-2018 06:25 PM)Han Wrote:  There is an education market outside of the United States.

Where?
From the comments here I learned it's not in
- the UK (Casio & TI)
- France (Casio & TI)
- USA (TI)

And it's certainly also not here in Germany where TI & Casio, too, dominate the schools.

It seems you can't contact anybody from HP here in Germany with calculator questions. I once tried to get some sample units from TI (Nspire CX CAS) and HP (Prime) for the MakerSpace I founded here in Bonn (for workshops, courses, math lessons etc.). Guess who answered and donated 5 units of their calc (plus innovation hub plus rover, 5 each)? Yes, TI! The guy also came to our opening and presented the hardware.

I never heard back from HP Germany. So very sad. Sad

Anyone care to report from The Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmak, Poland, Italy, Belgium, ...?
01-11-2019, 04:37 PM
(01-10-2019 09:38 PM)metawops Wrote:  
(11-11-2018 06:25 PM)Han Wrote:  There is an education market outside of the United States.

Where?
- the UK (Casio & TI)
- France (Casio & TI)
- USA (TI)

And it's certainly also not here in Germany where TI & Casio, too, dominate the schools.

Well, the elephant (dragon?) in the room that you are missing is China...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-26-2019, 06:52 PM
(08-14-2018 08:34 AM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  
(08-10-2018 03:37 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  Dirk, is this the Prime in question?

https://www.derekenwinkel.nl/hp-prime-gr...-1201.html

I see no indication that this is specifically the G2 model. If it is then I'm getting one...

Yes, it is! Smile I have just changed the site to refer to G2. If you're having difficulties on ordering through the website, please send us an email or me a PB. There's more than enough stock available.

...got mine from De Rekenwinkel a few days ago. Nice case too! Thanks!!

sidebar: The packaging had an interesting feature, whereby a small cover over the USB port could be removed and placed back on. Presumably to recharge the battery while still in stock. Gave off a good vibe that the designers were thinking in the long term.
01-27-2019, 03:55 AM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2019 03:56 AM by Tim Wessman.)
(01-26-2019 06:52 PM)bbenson Wrote:  
(08-14-2018 08:34 AM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  Yes, it is! Smile I have just changed the site to refer to G2. If you're having difficulties on ordering through the website, please send us an email or me a PB. There's more than enough stock available.

...got mine from De Rekenwinkel a few days ago. Nice case too! Thanks!!

sidebar: The packaging had an interesting feature, whereby a small cover over the USB port could be removed and placed back on. Presumably to recharge the battery while still in stock. Gave off a good vibe that the designers were thinking in the long term.

Actually, to do in package updates...

I'd been pushing for that years before we were able to do it on the first Prime.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
01-27-2019, 11:47 AM
(01-27-2019 03:55 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(01-26-2019 06:52 PM)bbenson Wrote:  ...got mine from De Rekenwinkel a few days ago. Nice case too! Thanks!!

Actually, to do in package updates...

I'd been pushing for that years before we were able to do it on the first Prime.
The only device in the world with that packaging feature?!
01-27-2019, 07:36 PM
(01-11-2019 04:37 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  
(01-10-2019 09:38 PM)metawops Wrote:  Where?
- the UK (Casio & TI)
- France (Casio & TI)
- USA (TI)

Well, the elephant (dragon?) in the room that you are missing is China...

Let's not forget India, Russia, etc.

Here in Brazil there is a huge market on education for calculators and as far as I know HP dominates it here.

Cheers
01-28-2019, 11:27 AM
In case someone wondered where to get it in Europe, I got mine from dynatech.de two weeks ago. Delivery to Portugal was very fast.
01-31-2019, 02:46 AM
I just ordered an HP Prime G2 from derekenwinkel.nl. I live in PA USA. When it comes I will let you all know how long it takes. I used PayPal and that was probably the first out of country purchase I did with it.

I gave my G1 to my daughter for high school. She loves it. We have it on our Android phones and that has been satisfying me but when I heard about the G2 with brighter keys I decided to get it.

We have the Windows 10 HP Prime Pro app from the app store. but it does not install the connectivity kit. I have that on one of my older PCs. I should look for that download. I wonder if it will work with the Windows 10 app store install or if I will have to delete that??

I too have to wonder why we do not have the G2 here in the states. Could it be that they just have too much old G1 stock to sell yet in the USA and if so why is it not the same everywhere?

Cheers
01-31-2019, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2019 01:30 PM by toml_12953.)
(01-31-2019 02:46 AM)Data Wrote:  I gave my G1 to my daughter for high school. She loves it. We have it on our Android phones and that has been satisfying me but when I heard about the G2 with brighter keys I decided to get it.

The brighter keys are also available on the latest G1 models available in the US (Hardware C). If that's the main reason why you ordered a G2, then you wasted your time. Of course, the G2 is so much faster than the G1 you'll make up the time spent waiting for it to arrive! Smile I ordered a G2 from the same place you did and after getting lost in customs, the second one they shipped to me in Malone, NY arrived in about two weeks.

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-31-2019, 04:58 PM
(01-31-2019 01:29 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  The brighter keys are also available on the latest G1 models available in the US (Hardware C). If that's the main reason why you ordered a G2, then you wasted your time. Of course, the G2 is so much faster than the G1 you'll make up the time spent waiting for it to arrive! Smile I ordered a G2 from the same place you did and after getting lost in customs, the second one they shipped to me in Malone, NY arrived in about two weeks.

The brighter keys and high contrast LCD and all the other new upgrades are too tempting to pass up for me. I have looked all over the web and not found a comparison photo of the keys but I just know how dam hard it is to see those orange letters in dim lit situations.
01-31-2019, 05:23 PM
(01-31-2019 04:58 PM)Data Wrote:  I have looked all over the web and not found a comparison photo of the keys

There is one just in this forum: Both Prime color schemes
02-06-2019, 02:41 PM
(01-31-2019 02:46 AM)Data Wrote:  I just ordered an HP Prime G2 from derekenwinkel.nl. I live in PA USA. When it comes I will let you all know how long it takes. I used PayPal and that was probably the first out of country purchase I did with it.

I gave my G1 to my daughter for high school. She loves it. We have it on our Android phones and that has been satisfying me but when I heard about the G2 with brighter keys I decided to get it.

We have the Windows 10 HP Prime Pro app from the app store. but it does not install the connectivity kit. I have that on one of my older PCs. I should look for that download. I wonder if it will work with the Windows 10 app store install or if I will have to delete that??

I too have to wonder why we do not have the G2 here in the states. Could it be that they just have too much old G1 stock to sell yet in the USA and if so why is it not the same everywhere?

Cheers

I ordered from derekenwinkel.nl as well, I live in Canada; shipping took about a week from the time it departed Europe -- DHL was the main courier that was used. The two G2s plus cases and screen protectors required duty as well ~$70 Cdn.

I spoke with sales teams in the US and the G2s are not scheduled to be sold until spring/summer 2019. Loving the G2s!
02-15-2019, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2019 05:50 PM by pier4r.)
I just realized that the prime G2 has 256 MB of ram. How many are usable by the user?

I mean already 32 MB are a ton compared to the ~270 Kb of user memory in the hp 50g and the ~ 60 KB on most casios programmable calculators.
256 MB are like infinite. This likely sounds when someone with few Kb of ram in the 90s upgraded to computers with few MB of ram.

I am aware only of the nspire series (nspire and nspire CX) that offers MB of user available ram. Maybe the casio classpad does it too. The fx cg and the 9860 from casion are under 100 KB if I remember correctly.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
02-15-2019, 06:06 PM
(02-15-2019 05:48 PM)pier4r Wrote:  I just realized that the prime G2 has 256 MB of ram. How many are usable by the user?

There's some stuff in mine but very little, about 100KB worth.

"Mem > Info" gives me 246MB RAM and 460MB of flash available.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)