My HP-41CV projects
01-07-2019, 07:24 PM
My HP-41CV projects
Hello!
I like to share my 41CV projects with this awesome community.
I got two 41CV in poor condition on ebay. I cleaned the calculators, fixed the cracked posts and installed a new NiMh battery.
One of them is my workhorse and the other unit sits on a shelf in the livingroom together with a HP-65 and HP-67. I don't use it as a calculator very often, instead it is my PDA, Clock and programming/experiment/fun device. It is equipped with a X-Functions Module, Clonix41, Time-Module, HP/IL Module and a 82143A Printer that is not always connected. (i need more expansion ports Big Grin)

New Battery:
I soldered 4 1/3 AAA GP-NiMh Batterys together with a 2 pin connector and put them in a 3D printed battery compartment.

HP/IL - PIL-IO:
I build the awesome PIL-IO board from J-F Garnier (thanks for developing this cool piece of Hard-/Software). The PIC-microcontroller is soldered together wit a MAX232 on a piece of breadboard. It has one RS232 connector, UART TxD/RxD and 4 I/O pins.
Underneath the breadboard is a LiIon battery togehter with a step-up circuit to provide the 5V. I can charge the battery with micro-USB. The programming of the PIC controller is done with a PicKit 3 programmer.

Clonix:
I also build a Clonix41 module (thank you Diego Díaz for developement, i love your work). It was a bit more difficult to build the module and a programming adapter/device. I dont used a printed circuit for it. I wired the PIC-microcontroller with insulated copper wires to the module contacts. The first prototype had an external 12Mhz quarz, because i had no small one that fits into the module case. Second and final Version had a small quarz inside the module. Programming was done with a self build programming adapter and the PicKit 3 programmer. Currently it is loaded with CCD,Extended-IO, HPIL-Development and Zenrom.

The next project is a new battery for the 82143A printer with a self printed battery case and some Arduino projects with the PIL-IO.

Pictures: http://www.sp-net.at/nextcloud/apps/gall...wGCQ7fNwFT

Stefan from Austria
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2019, 09:04 PM
RE: My HP-41CV projects
(01-07-2019 07:24 PM)_dev-null Wrote:  Hello!
I like to share my 41CV projects with this awesome community.
I got two 41CV in poor condition on ebay. I cleaned the calculators, fixed the cracked posts and installed a new NiMh battery.
One of them is my workhorse and the other unit sits on a shelf in the livingroom together with a HP-65 and HP-67. I don't use it as a calculator very often, instead it is my PDA, Clock and programming/experiment/fun device. It is equipped with a X-Functions Module, Clonix41, Time-Module, HP/IL Module and a 82143A Printer that is not always connected. (i need more expansion ports Big Grin)

New Battery:
I soldered 4 1/3 AAA GP-NiMh Batterys together with a 2 pin connector and put them in a 3D printed battery compartment.

HP/IL - PIL-IO:
I build the awesome PIL-IO board from J-F Garnier (thanks for developing this cool piece of Hard-/Software). The PIC-microcontroller is soldered together wit a MAX232 on a piece of breadboard. It has one RS232 connector, UART TxD/RxD and 4 I/O pins.
Underneath the breadboard is a LiIon battery togehter with a step-up circuit to provide the 5V. I can charge the battery with micro-USB. The programming of the PIC controller is done with a PicKit 3 programmer.

Clonix:
I also build a Clonix41 module (thank you Diego Díaz for developement, i love your work). It was a bit more difficult to build the module and a programming adapter/device. I dont used a printed circuit for it. I wired the PIC-microcontroller with insulated copper wires to the module contacts. The first prototype had an external 12Mhz quarz, because i had no small one that fits into the module case. Second and final Version had a small quarz inside the module. Programming was done with a self build programming adapter and the PicKit 3 programmer. Currently it is loaded with CCD,Extended-IO, HPIL-Development and Zenrom.

The next project is a new battery for the 82143A printer with a self printed battery case and some Arduino projects with the PIL-IO.

Stefan from Austria

Awesome, thanks for sharing - I look forward to reading more of your projects!
Juergen (from Germany)
01-08-2019, 01:05 AM
Hello Stefan,

I see that you are having fun, thanks for sharing.

(01-07-2019 07:24 PM)_dev-null Wrote:  I need more expansion ports Big Grin
You definitively need this Wink

Regards,

Sylvain
01-08-2019, 02:36 AM
Stefan,

Your Clonix build has a very clever solution to the PCB routing problem - no PCB! With that not getting in the way it looks like parts and direct wiring have plenty of room in the shell.

Nice work,
~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
01-08-2019, 02:18 PM
Hello!
Today i printed a new battery holder for my 82143A printer.
I soldered 4 Sub-C NiMh cells together and made new battery contacts out of brass sheet. For safety i added 3 layers electrical tape between the cells and the brass contacts. Charging is done with a NiMh charger outside of the printer, because the internal charging circuit is not compatible with the NiMh battery.
Printing my notes and program listings works perfect!

Later I tried the program "TE" from the book "Extended Functions Made Easy" and noticed a conflict between the CCD Module and Zenrom if loaded together in one clonix module.
With both Modules loaded, the Alpha Input is not working correctly.
I found a Note inside the CCD folder from the HP41-DVD:

Quote:Incompatibilities:
If used together with a ZENROM, the CCD-lowercase-mode should be disabled (register 13 byte 4 bit 7 has to be set to 1.

I also found a little program that does this job:

LBL "TLC"
PEEKB
XOR
POKEB
CLST
END

Now Alpha input works!

Stefan
01-08-2019, 02:24 PM
(01-08-2019 01:05 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Hello Stefan,

I see that you are having fun, thanks for sharing.

(01-07-2019 07:24 PM)_dev-null Wrote:  I need more expansion ports Big Grin
You definitively need this Wink

Regards,

Sylvain

Yes. I need one. But these things are totally overpriced $$$$
Maybe I can build one. But this has a low priority on my list Big Grin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)