New G2 HP Prime
11-09-2018, 09:06 AM
RE: New G2 HP Prime
(11-09-2018 07:25 AM)akmon Wrote:  After some minutes using the calc the status turned into 50%, but after a few minutes of "rest" of activities, when I pushed the icon it went to 75% again.

It is possible. One thing different then the G1 is that the battery monitoring system there ONLY let the battery level move downwards. So if it ever ticked down one level, it would always stay there and report that even if the battery tested slightly upwards one level.

We weren't completely confident about the power chip always giving us signals about charging status in a prompt way so we decided just to report and use the moving average instead of relying on a "hey, i'm charging now" signal to unclamp the battery status report

That is also why you see the battery level move upwards quickly when you plug in to charge at low. It takes a while for the "charging" signal to show up, so the battery level moves upwards quickly at first.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2018, 09:09 AM
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to USA for 2022. I'm buying airline tickets already.

Do you think I will find the HP Prime G2 in USA then?

TIA
11-09-2018, 03:06 PM
(11-09-2018 09:09 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  Hi,

I'm planning a trip to USA for 2022. I'm buying airline tickets already.

TIA

Yes, but you hate it when the Netherlands is selling G3 already....
11-09-2018, 05:43 PM
(11-09-2018 09:09 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  I'm planning a trip to USA for 2022. I'm buying airline tickets already.

I think probably 2028 or so.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
11-09-2018, 07:42 PM
HP Prime, with whatever G's, is a half baked product. I hope it disappears very soon and instead somebody will make hardware and adopt Mathematica to it without Home and CAS modes of course and with efficient programing capabilities. RIP HP Prime. Amen.
11-09-2018, 07:58 PM
(11-09-2018 07:42 PM)John P Wrote:  HP Prime, with whatever G's, is a half baked product. I hope it disappears very soon and instead somebody will make hardware and adopt Mathematica to it without Home and CAS modes of course and with efficient programing capabilities. RIP HP Prime. Amen.
Gee, nice attitude John.
You make it sound so easy to design, market and support a complex product like this. You should probably start a business making your own model of graphing CAS calculator just like you described. You will probably make a fortune displacing T1 in the marketplace and they you can tell everyone how smart you were.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2018, 08:06 PM
Yeah, good idea. Thank you. I am convinced that somebody should put the HP Prime out of its misery and the never ending bugs fixes that introduce new bugs and this charade goes on and on without end in site.
11-09-2018, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2018 08:47 PM by cdmackay.)
(11-09-2018 07:42 PM)John P Wrote:  HP Prime, with whatever G's, is a half baked product. I hope it disappears very soon and instead somebody will make hardware and adopt Mathematica to it without Home and CAS modes of course and with efficient programing capabilities. RIP HP Prime. Amen.

Mathematica on a calculator? I have it running on an RPi and it struggles there; would be fun to see it on a calculator.

I have two Casio CAS models (CG50 & Classpad CP400), and the HP 50g, as well as the Prime, and I've tried the TI CX CAS. The Prime may not be perfect, but it's the best I've tried so far.

[edit: CG50 is only CAS with the Xcas plugin, so that's not a fair comparison, apols]

What do you think is the best current CAS implementation on a calculator, and why?

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
11-09-2018, 08:57 PM
I agree, HP Prime could be very good, but its split personality, Home CAS modes, plus the trillions of inconsistencies between different modes make it quite handicapped and not very user friendly.
11-09-2018, 09:14 PM
(11-09-2018 08:43 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  

Mathematica on a calculator? I have it running on an RPi and it struggles there; would be fun to see it on a calculator.

I have two Casio CAS models (CG50 & Classpad CP400), and the HP 50g, as well as the Prime, and I've tried the TI CX CAS. The Prime may not be perfect, but it's the best I've tried so far.

[edit: CG50 is only CAS with the Xcas plugin, so that's not a fair comparison, apols]

What do you think is the best current CAS implementation on a calculator, and why?
I'm not attending the physics exam like I planned.
The Linux based system of the Finnish high school final exams, Abitti, has more bugs that I can handle. I only 8 out of 10 on some courses just because of the tools.
AND
I'm now using the HP Prime since it is superior to my other, unnamed (TI CX CAS) cas tool.
VPN
PS:
Don't worry, I already passed the exam a few years ago.
I just wanted to try the new e-exam...wanted..
11-09-2018, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2018 10:00 PM by Alex.)
(11-09-2018 08:57 PM)John P Wrote:  I agree, HP Prime could be very good, but its split personality, Home CAS modes, plus the trillions of inconsistencies between different modes make it quite handicapped and not very user friendly.

It is depend on different users. CAS is necessary but I don't need CAS functon all the time because numberic solve is enough for most of engineer calculate envirenment. I have TI Nspire CX CAS and TI89t before, but HP Prime give me the best user experience.

And for Mathematic, why don't try Raspberry?
11-10-2018, 08:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2018 08:05 AM by Sukiari.)
(11-09-2018 07:58 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  
Gee, nice attitude John.
You make it sound so easy to design, market and support a complex product like this. You should probably start a business making your own model of graphing CAS calculator just like you described. You will probably make a fortune displacing T1 in the marketplace and they you can tell everyone how smart you were.

Get real, the graphing calc market is dominated by TI because the textbook companies are in bed with them. There was no hope for HP in education at all. They could have made an engineer’s RPN / RPL machine and sold these things for $300 a pop like SwissMicros and maintained a reputation for quality. Instead we have color screens and unobtanium lithium proprietary batteries and test modes and etc.

The DM42 should have been made by HP 10 years ago. The profit per unit is much higher than the Prime. Chasing after a market like education when every single textbook gives instructions for only TI is silly. Carly’s gone but the directionless wandering and aim toward LCD products instead of quality remains. I know a few former Corvallis HP alums and they aren’t happy.

In the future HP’s calculator division will be praised for keeping the 12c and castigated for all the other crap they’ve been up to.
11-10-2018, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2018 02:13 PM by celltx.)
(11-10-2018 08:03 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  They could have made an engineer’s RPN / RPL machine and sold these things for $300 a pop like SwissMicros and maintained a reputation for quality. Instead we have color screens and unobtanium lithium proprietary batteries and test modes and etc.

I disagree. Having used RPN for few years and even writing some programs, I didn't like it at all. It always looked mind wrapping and unnatural to me.

I believe HP Prime is the best option for engineers for now. I own TInspire CX CAS, TI89, few Casios including CG50, but actually use HP Prime all the time. It's far from being perfect, but others are much farther from that.

As for Carly's inconsistencies, it all started well before her days. Since late 80s, HP has started and dropped so many potentially good products. Carly just kept doing that, quite in-line with her predecessors.
11-10-2018, 02:37 PM
(11-10-2018 08:03 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  
(11-09-2018 07:58 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Gee, nice attitude John.

Get real, ....

Get real, troll!

(11-10-2018 08:03 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  "we have color screens and"
Every top make and model has a color screen nowadays.
Are you expecting bright red leds?

(11-10-2018 08:03 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  " unobtanium lithium proprietary batteries"
You mean the easily user replaceable standard size Samsung Galaxy S3 batteries of the Prime?
unobtanium - in which universe(?) - trollverse!

(11-10-2018 08:03 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  " and test modes and etc."
which is good, right?

(11-10-2018 08:03 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  "directionless wandering and aim toward LCD products instead of quality"
It *IS* the red bright LED. Yes, indeed...

(11-10-2018 08:03 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  "In the future HP’s calculator division will be praised for keeping the 12c and
castigated for all the other crap they’ve been up to."
That's why the message is judged to be trolling - lame try....
VPN
PS: There is a 12c forum somewhere - I'm sure of it.
I'm not coming there to claim how lame that calculator is
or for other kind of trolling. You can play there in peace.
Have a better life there! A very good bye!
11-10-2018, 05:48 PM
(11-10-2018 02:37 PM)CyberAngel Wrote:  
(11-10-2018 08:03 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  " unobtanium lithium proprietary batteries"
You mean the easily user replaceable standard size Samsung Galaxy S3 batteries of the Prime?

That battery is far from a standard. AA, AAA are and have been around for 100 years. S3 battery production will be a blink of that time.

I bet you can't say the same thing in 5-10 years after the Prime has been discontinued.
11-10-2018, 06:55 PM
(11-10-2018 05:48 PM)jonese Wrote:  
(11-10-2018 02:37 PM)CyberAngel Wrote:  You mean the easily user replaceable standard size Samsung Galaxy S3 batteries of the Prime?

That battery is far from a standard. AA, AAA are and have been around for 100 years. S3 battery production will be a blink of that time.

I bet you can't say the same thing in 5-10 years after the Prime has been discontinued.

I'm sure it would be possible to retrofit some sort of battery in that case, and even if not, it can be powered externally through the USB connector.

— Ian Abbott
11-10-2018, 07:14 PM
(11-10-2018 06:55 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(11-10-2018 05:48 PM)jonese Wrote:  That battery is far from a standard. AA, AAA are and have been around for 100 years. S3 battery production will be a blink of that time.

I'm sure it would be possible to retrofit some sort of battery in that case, and even if not, it can be powered externally through the USB connector.
Don't feed the trolls.
Some people do not come here for or to help,
but to argue and rant.
Unfortunately they are not warned first
so they could think and change negativity into positivity.
Ban is not needed – just just change.
11-10-2018, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2018 08:50 PM by ijabbott.)
(11-10-2018 07:14 PM)CyberAngel Wrote:  
(11-10-2018 06:55 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I'm sure it would be possible to retrofit some sort of battery in that case, and even if not, it can be powered externally through the USB connector.
Don't feed the trolls.
but to argue and rant.
Point taken, but I thought jonese was making a reasonable point about mobile phone battery models not being around forever (unless it is perhaps one of those small Nokia batteries!). The worst trolling was from a couple of members who have been around here a lot longer than him, and should know better!

— Ian Abbott
11-10-2018, 09:16 PM
(11-10-2018 08:50 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(11-10-2018 07:14 PM)CyberAngel Wrote:  Don't feed the trolls.
but to argue and rant.
Point taken, but I thought jonese was making a reasonable point about mobile phone battery models not being around forever (unless it is perhaps one of those small Nokia batteries!). The worst trolling was from a couple of members who have been around here a lot longer than him, and should know better!
I think you're right.
Sorry, jonese.
11-10-2018, 09:22 PM
(11-10-2018 09:16 PM)CyberAngel Wrote:  
(11-10-2018 08:50 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  Point taken, but I thought jonese was making a reasonable point about mobile phone battery models not being around forever (unless it is perhaps one of those small Nokia batteries!). The worst trolling was from a couple of members who have been around here a lot longer than him, and should know better!
I think you're right.
Sorry, jonese.

No worries, we're good.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)