These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone...
09-25-2018, 02:22 PM
These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone...
HP 32
HP34
HP 41C and 41CX
HP 67
HP 29
HP 25
HP 65
HP 33
HP 71b
HP 48S and HP48SX
HP 48G and HP 48GX
HP 55
HP 27
HP 35 (Both ROM Versions)

These give the same exact results as the original physical vintage calculators.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2018, 10:45 PM
RE: These exact clones of vintage HP calcs are on my Android phone...
It’s great we can keep old calcs alive forever like this on our touch devices. You can of course also get the HP Prime for Android.

If you ever have time, it would be interesting to know which specific apps you ended up with. I’ve found several different versions of the 48 for example and some are pretty poor, unresponsive implementations. And the 41 has several version, some of which are rudimentary, from memory.
09-26-2018, 09:43 AM
Any idea if I can find a freeware Android version of an HP27S?

Many Thanks,
Robin
09-26-2018, 10:06 AM
(09-26-2018 09:43 AM)zswobbie1 Wrote:  Any idea if I can find a freeware Android version of an HP27S?

The only way I know of to simulate the 27S is running Emu42 with an HP-27S ROM image. As far as I know, Emu42 has never been ported to Android, so the answer to your question would appear to be no.

(I looked into porting Emu42 once, and found that it uses Win32 API calls everywhere. This doesn't make porting it impossible, but it would be a lot of work, and it would make such a port a nightmare to debug, for anyone not intimately familiar with the Saturn and the Pioneer hardware architecture.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-26-2018, 11:28 AM
Let's give Christoph a new Android phone. ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
09-26-2018, 12:56 PM
(09-26-2018 09:43 AM)zswobbie1 Wrote:  Any idea if I can find a freeware Android version of an HP27S?

Many Thanks,
Robin

While not free, this one from Olivier is quite nice, and not expensive:

https://sites.google.com/site/olivier2smet2/home/go42s

--Bob Prosperi
09-26-2018, 02:24 PM
(09-25-2018 10:45 PM)tcab Wrote:  It’s great we can keep old calcs alive forever like this on our touch devices. You can of course also get the HP Prime for Android.

If you ever have time, it would be interesting to know which specific apps you ended up with. I’ve found several different versions of the 48 for example and some are pretty poor, unresponsive implementations. And the 41 has several version, some of which are rudimentary, from memory.

The reviews for the Android HP prime are not good, apparently it is a very buggy App...I have an actual Prime so I will skip the Android version until they make a better App...
09-26-2018, 02:28 PM
(09-25-2018 10:45 PM)tcab Wrote:  It’s great we can keep old calcs alive forever like this on our touch devices. You can of course also get the HP Prime for Android.

They are all from "Olivier De Smet"...His 48 Apps tend to be more stable than the other 48 versions out there...
09-26-2018, 03:08 PM
(09-26-2018 12:56 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  

Many Thanks,
Robin

While not free, this one from Olivier is quite nice, and not expensive:

https://sites.google.com/site/olivier2smet2/home/go42s

Yes, but you have to dump the Rom from a real 27s, or find a friend that can lend you one.

This remind me that I a need to dump the Rom from my 27s, a good task for the weekend.

Cheers
09-26-2018, 09:53 PM
(09-26-2018 03:08 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  This remind me that I a need to dump the Rom from my 27s, a good task for the weekend.

I also need to attempt some ROM dumps sometime for both my HP-42S and my HP-27S, but I don't have a HP 48 to use to receive the ROM dumps. I do have a HP 50g though, and I wonder if that can be used to receive ROM dumps? I also have an Arduino based "Red Eye" to USB serial converter which I may be able to use to receive the ROM dumps straight from the HP-42S or HP-27S to the PC after a bit of experimentation.

— Ian Abbott
09-27-2018, 01:41 AM
(09-26-2018 09:53 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(09-26-2018 03:08 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  This remind me that I a need to dump the Rom from my 27s, a good task for the weekend.

I also need to attempt some ROM dumps sometime for both my HP-42S and my HP-27S, but I don't have a HP 48 to use to receive the ROM dumps. I do have a HP 50g though, and I wonder if that can be used to receive ROM dumps? I also have an Arduino based "Red Eye" to USB serial converter which I may be able to use to receive the ROM dumps straight from the HP-42S or HP-27S to the PC after a bit of experimentation.

The images in this page might be of interest to you. Don't ask questions; just think and experiment...

https://hp.giesselink.com/ImageArt/ImageArt.htm
09-27-2018, 11:27 AM
(09-27-2018 01:41 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  The images in this page might be of interest to you. Don't ask questions; just think and experiment...

Didn't know about this. It will probably keep me busy for a little while.

Thanks
09-27-2018, 01:14 PM
(09-26-2018 09:53 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  

I don't know about the arduino red eye base, although I think if the red eye is in the same specifications of the pioneers, it is very possible, but the dump using the 50g unfortunately is not possible due the incompatibility between the calculators.

Look at this thread for further information.:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-346...s+Rom+dump

Cheers

JL
09-27-2018, 01:31 PM
(09-25-2018 02:22 PM)zeno333 Wrote:  HP 67
HP 65

"Exact clones"? Where do you insert the magnetic cards? Big Grin

Seriously, though, I'd really like a physical clone that could read/write real mag cards!

Tom L
Cui bono?
09-27-2018, 02:23 PM
(09-27-2018 01:41 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  
(09-26-2018 09:53 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I also need to attempt some ROM dumps sometime for both my HP-42S and my HP-27S, but I don't have a HP 48 to use to receive the ROM dumps. I do have a HP 50g though, and I wonder if that can be used to receive ROM dumps? I also have an Arduino based "Red Eye" to USB serial converter which I may be able to use to receive the ROM dumps straight from the HP-42S or HP-27S to the PC after a bit of experimentation.

The images in this page might be of interest to you. Don't ask questions; just think and experiment...

Well, thank you VERY much, Eric!
I didn't spot this page before on Christoph's site.

Finally I've them all. :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

09-27-2018, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2018 03:47 PM by ijabbott.)
(09-27-2018 01:14 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(09-26-2018 09:53 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I also need to attempt some ROM dumps sometime for both my HP-42S and my HP-27S, but I don't have a HP 48 to use to receive the ROM dumps. I do have a HP 50g though, and I wonder if that can be used to receive ROM dumps? I also have an Arduino based "Red Eye" to USB serial converter which I may be able to use to receive the ROM dumps straight from the HP-42S or HP-27S to the PC after a bit of experimentation.

I don't know about the arduino red eye base, although I think if the red eye is in the same specifications of the pioneers, it is very possible,

The serial port can be opened in Christoph's HP82240B Printer Simulator and it can receive text and graphics from a HP-42S, so hopefully it can receive a ROM dump in some form or other (e.g. as a hex dump or whatever). I haven't tried it yet.

EDIT - if not possible with Christoph's Printer Simulator, he makes the source available, so I would hopefully be able to knock something up with it (or maybe just dump the serial port input using Linux and try and work with that).

Quote: but the dump using the 50g unfortunately is not possible due the incompatibility between the calculators.

Look at this thread for further information.:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-346...s+Rom+dump

Thanks for the link.

— Ian Abbott
09-27-2018, 03:48 PM
(09-27-2018 01:41 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  The images in this page might be of interest to you. Don't ask questions; just think and experiment...

Very artistic! Smile

— Ian Abbott
10-01-2018, 08:31 PM
I want to go one step further though. I think 3D print tech is advanced enough we could re-print the calculator case. Then take the emulator code and compile onto a modern microcontroller. It was easy enough to compile x48 under linux on a raspberry pi so I think the next step will be a Pi zero with verm minimal linux and hardware screen/keypad.

Screen/display are the part I haven't found yet,
10-02-2018, 08:06 PM
(09-27-2018 01:41 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  

thinking is done ... now time to code new emulators for android Wink

Olivier

P.S. I am currently starting to make all my apps compatible with android 7 & 8 due to undocumented android bugs and behaviour changes (actually go49g+ is done, pioneers to follow, go27s is done, on the market in 2 days)
10-02-2018, 08:17 PM
(10-02-2018 08:06 PM)Oulan Wrote:  thinking is done ... now time to code new emulators for android ;)

Olivier

P.S. I am currently starting to make all my apps compatible with android 7 & 8 due to undocumented android bugs and behaviour changes (actually go49g+ is done, pioneers to follow, go27s is done, on the market in 2 days)

And what about go41cx? :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)