Hp prime - bricked -stuck at the Hp logo
08-29-2018, 04:51 PM
Hp prime - bricked -stuck at the Hp logo
Hello,

I need help, My hp prime is stuck at the Hp logo during the initialization process.

I tried to update the firmware to the last version using the Connectivity Kit, but didn't solve the problem, I used the symb key and the reset enter the recovery mode (V16).. and I did the downgrade of the firmware the versions 2015, 2016 and 2017, but not work too.

I also use the F,O,C keys to go to diagnostic mode and did the format of "C" unit , but didn't work too.

Besides that, I can only turn off the calculator when I remove the battery. Putting the battery
again the calculator automatic turn on, but stick at hp logo.

https://preview.ibb.co/cCUuxp/IMG_201808...202468.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/g9JhiU/IMG_201808...247722.jpg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2018, 10:59 PM
RE: Hp prime - bricked -stuck at the Hp logo
When you updated, did it send 3 times, or just once? The progress bar should have gone through multiple timestill the finish.

If it did not, run your update again but this time when the bar "stops", unplug the calculator then immediately plug it back in. This will redetect it, and the next part will send.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
08-29-2018, 11:38 PM
(08-29-2018 10:59 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  When you updated, did it send 3 times, or just once? The progress bar should have gone through multiple timestill the finish.

If it did not, run your update again but this time when the bar "stops", unplug the calculator then immediately plug it back in. This will redetect it, and the next part will send.

Yes Tim, I did the updated again, with 3 times, but didn't solve.
08-30-2018, 12:44 AM
(08-29-2018 10:59 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  When you updated, did it send 3 times, or just once? The progress bar should have gone through multiple timestill the finish.

There should a separate pinned Tips & Tricks section or FAQ
with several subcategories

My Prime update didn't finish

etc
09-01-2018, 12:39 PM
I don't know if it's the same problem, but I recently had similar trouble updating my C unit and I got it to work by turning off "Use new update method" in the Connectivity Kit preferences. I was then able to downgrade to the previous firmware, then upgrade to the new firmware.
09-01-2018, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2018 03:50 PM by Matheus Hermes.)
(09-01-2018 12:39 PM)Wes Loewer Wrote:  I don't know if it's the same problem, but I recently had similar trouble updating my C unit and I got it to work by turning off "Use new update method" in the Connectivity Kit preferences. I was then able to downgrade to the previous firmware, then upgrade to the new firmware.

I tried to disable the "new update method" but make no difference, the only way I got to downgrade is send the firmware files to "C:\Users\name\Documents\HP Connectivity Kit\Firmware", then run the updater.exe at "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Connectivity Kit".

I did the downgrade and update to :

firmware 20150617
firmware 20160414
firmware 20160829
firmware 20170710
firmware 20180212
firmware 20180706

It were send 3 files :

Prime_app
Prime_master
Prime_os

Also : I tried to change the "Hp cable" and did the update using other pc with windows 7 32 bits, makes no difference.

My problem starts when I put the calculator to charge at night and in the morning I disconected the cable and the calculator was stuck. Besides that, I found weird that the charger was hot.
09-01-2018, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2018 04:26 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Once you think you've flashed the latest, hold down the backspace key while booting. Does that do anything?

If not, power it off/reset and hold down the ALPHA C - F - O keys. (all 3 at once) while the unit appears to be booting. Does a menu come up? Go into the FLS menu and do a format. 9 to reset (or reboot) once that is done. Any change?

You mention you are running the "Updater.exe" directly? I would recommend not doing that. Any calculator found in "updater" mode with the "recovery" showing should be detected and it will kick it off automatically. Running it directly can possibly mean the wrong update files get detected and it trys to use them. Please check on your system that there is no more then 1 place where the "PRIME_OS.DAT" and other files appear to ensure that it is not potentially flashing a version you are not intending to do.

TW

09-01-2018, 05:32 PM
(09-01-2018 04:22 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Once you think you've flashed the latest, hold down the backspace key while booting. Does that do anything?

If not, power it off/reset and hold down the ALPHA C - F - O keys. (all 3 at once) while the unit appears to be booting. Does a menu come up? Go into the FLS menu and do a format. 9 to reset (or reboot) once that is done. Any change?

You mention you are running the "Updater.exe" directly? I would recommend not doing that. Any calculator found in "updater" mode with the "recovery" showing should be detected and it will kick it off automatically. Running it directly can possibly mean the wrong update files get detected and it trys to use them. Please check on your system that there is no more then 1 place where the "PRIME_OS.DAT" and other files appear to ensure that it is not potentially flashing a version you are not intending to do.

I tried to update again holding down the baskspace key but nothing happened. I format the unit C using the diagnostic mode , didn't solve.

I can't downgrade using the connectivity kit. I use the following procedure:

1- put the calculator in recovery mode (v16)
2- open the connectivity kit
3- click to update
4- I received the message " There is not available updates"
5- the calculator automatic leave the recovery mode (v16)

Besides that I went to the temporary files and leaved just 1 file PRIME_OS.DAT, but didn't solve too.
09-02-2018, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2018 02:28 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Delete all your files you have download and manually placed from "<Documents>/HP Connectivity Kit/Firmware". Just delete that folder.

Now open the connectivity kit and do a "check for update". It will download and place the files in the correct place. I don't think you have files placed properly in the new correct location. Just let the connkit handle it.

Put the calculator into update mode. I assume you are on windows. Let it detect the calculator and it will prompt for an update. It needs to run the 3 times to send the 3 files. Then try the C-F-O thing as I mentioned to get into the factory menu. You are trying to format the C: drive to ensure you have an empty filesystem.

TW

09-02-2018, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2018 03:42 PM by Matheus Hermes.)
(09-02-2018 02:12 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Delete all your files you have download and manually placed from "<Documents>/HP Connectivity Kit/Firmware". Just delete that folder.

Now open the connectivity kit and do a "check for update". It will download and place the files in the correct place. I don't think you have files placed properly in the new correct location. Just let the connkit handle it.

Put the calculator into update mode. I assume you are on windows. Let it detect the calculator and it will prompt for an update. It needs to run the 3 times to send the 3 files. Then try the C-F-O thing as I mentioned to get into the factory menu. You are trying to format the C: drive to ensure you have an empty filesystem.

I did exactly as you said.

1- delete the firmware files
2- run connkit
3- update firmware to the last version
4- update the calculator firmware using connkit and send 3 files
5- tried C-F-O and format C unit.

Nothing happened.

There are any problem if I update the firmware without the battery just using the usb cable?
09-02-2018, 08:53 PM
(09-02-2018 03:39 PM)Matheus Hermes Wrote:  There are any problem if I update the firmware without the battery just using the usb cable?

Is that what you're doing at the moment, or are you just asking whether that can be done?

— Ian Abbott
09-03-2018, 02:24 AM
(09-02-2018 08:53 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 03:39 PM)Matheus Hermes Wrote:  There are any problem if I update the firmware without the battery just using the usb cable?

Is that what you're doing at the moment, or are you just asking whether that can be done?

I am doing that, and I ask because I saw some people saing that should do the firmware update using 100% of battery. But makes no sense.
09-03-2018, 03:00 AM
Well, it sounds like you are able to flash the software all the way now. It sounds like there may be some sort of other hardware failure though potentially. You could try some of the tests in the C-F-O menu, specifically flash/ram tests might be on interest.

USB in provides all the power that is needed.

You never mentioned if the unit was functional before the update, or if it was broken first and running the update was an attempt to get it going again...?

TW

09-03-2018, 11:20 PM
(09-03-2018 03:00 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Well, it sounds like you are able to flash the software all the way now. It sounds like there may be some sort of other hardware failure though potentially. You could try some of the tests in the C-F-O menu, specifically flash/ram tests might be on interest.

USB in provides all the power that is needed.

You never mentioned if the unit was functional before the update, or if it was broken first and running the update was an attempt to get it going again...?

I tried all the tests at C-F-O menu, nothing worked and my hp was broken first and running the update was an attempt to get it going again.

I dont know what to do more. I tried everything.
09-04-2018, 12:16 AM
(09-03-2018 11:20 PM)Matheus Hermes Wrote:  ...my hp was broken first and running the update was an attempt to get it going again.

Please define "broken."

Did you throw it against a brick wall, find it no longer works, then try to resurrect it?

I too am interested in seeing how to resurrect a "bricked" Prime, but that word "broken" can mean any number of things. Please provide all the details.

Thanks.
09-04-2018, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2018 12:58 AM by Matheus Hermes.)
(09-04-2018 12:16 AM)JDW Wrote:  
(09-03-2018 11:20 PM)Matheus Hermes Wrote:  ...my hp was broken first and running the update was an attempt to get it going again.

Please define "broken."

Did you throw it against a brick wall, find it no longer works, then try to resurrect it?

I too am interested in seeing how to resurrect a "bricked" Prime, but that word "broken" can mean any number of things. Please provide all the details.

Thanks.

Ok

Last week I put the calculator to charge and when I went to get it out of the charger it was locked showing only the hp logo.
You can see in the image :
https://preview.ibb.co/cCUuxp/IMG_201808...202468.jpg

I can not access the menu. Already tried to update for all possible firmware and I've gone through all the diagnostic tests.
09-04-2018, 01:03 AM
(09-04-2018 12:57 AM)Matheus Hermes Wrote:  ...I put the calculator to charge and when I went to get it out of the charger it was locked showing only the hp logo...

Thank you for explaining that it isn't "broken" in terms of damage caused through negligence (dropping, etc.) on your part. It would appear you did nothing wrong other than to dare charge your Prime!

Tim W., can charging the Prime brick the Prime? Would a faulty battery cause this and prevent unblocking?
09-04-2018, 09:21 AM
(09-04-2018 01:03 AM)JDW Wrote:  
(09-04-2018 12:57 AM)Matheus Hermes Wrote:  ...I put the calculator to charge and when I went to get it out of the charger it was locked showing only the hp logo...

Thank you for explaining that it isn't "broken" in terms of damage caused through negligence (dropping, etc.) on your part. It would appear you did nothing wrong other than to dare charge your Prime!

Tim W., can charging the Prime brick the Prime? Would a faulty battery cause this and prevent unblocking?

HW experienced opinion: not related to charging
One in a million hardware failure of a control chip. <- lucky guess
HP warranty replaces your HP Prime.
09-04-2018, 11:36 AM
(09-04-2018 12:57 AM)Matheus Hermes Wrote:  Last week I put the calculator to charge and when I went to get it out of the charger it was locked showing only the hp logo.

Is charger plugged directly on the wall outlet ? surge protector strip ?
09-05-2018, 02:30 AM
I don't have more warranty and I just plugged directly on the wall outlet using the HP charger.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)