HP 39gs programming languages
08-19-2018, 11:32 AM
HP 39gs programming languages
Which one do you think is the most suitable and easy for newbie who only tried programming on Pascal ABC? And where to find books to learn these languages and software for Windows to write programs? I only have this manual and this program, but I'm not sure it is OK to start with them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2018, 01:52 PM
RE: HP 39gs programming languages
(08-19-2018 11:32 AM)Sava Wrote:  Which one do you think is the most suitable and easy for newbie who only tried programming on Pascal ABC? And where to find books to learn these languages and software for Windows to write programs? I only have this manual and this program, but I'm not sure it is OK to start with them.

This website has a lot of programs and information about the 39gs/40gs (and the older 38/39/40/39+ models):

http://www.hphomeview.com/

I have hardly used the 38/39/40 series at all, but I have read that one should learn to use the basic applet language before trying SysRPL, which is also very true for the 48/49/50 series.

--Bob Prosperi
08-20-2018, 07:36 AM
(08-19-2018 01:52 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 11:32 AM)Sava Wrote:  Which one do you think is the most suitable and easy for newbie who only tried programming on Pascal ABC? And where to find books to learn these languages and software for Windows to write programs? I only have this manual and this program, but I'm not sure it is OK to start with them.

This website has a lot of programs and information about the 39gs/40gs (and the older 38/39/40/39+ models):

I have hardly used the 38/39/40 series at all, but I have read that one should learn to use the basic applet language before trying SysRPL, which is also very true for the 48/49/50 series.

I read this site, and it seems I need ADK39. I tried the version from this site, but it doesn't work with Windows 10. Of course I can use virtual machine with old Woindows OS, but I think it isn't convenient. Maybe you or someone else can tell me, where can I download ADK39 working with Windows 10, please?
08-20-2018, 03:16 PM
(08-20-2018 07:36 AM)Sava Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 01:52 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  This website has a lot of programs and information about the 39gs/40gs (and the older 38/39/40/39+ models):

I read this site, and it seems I need ADK39. I tried the version from this site, but it doesn't work with Windows 10. Of course I can use virtual machine with old Woindows OS, but I think it isn't convenient. Maybe you or someone else can tell me, where can I download ADK39 working with Windows 10, please?

I have no idea, but I will guess that this has not been updated for a long time, as these model calculators are all fairly old, and interest in them has dropped a lot. I've never used ADK39 so can't provide much useful info.

Often, when an old program will not work on Win-10, you can get it to work by setting the compatibility settings in the property tab of the .exe file to "Windows XP SP3". In some cases this same trick must also be applied to the installer program as well, in order to get it installed. Give that a try. Otherwise. running in a VM is probably the best way to go.

If you find success, please post the solution that worked for you, to help folks in the future.

Good Luck!

--Bob Prosperi
08-20-2018, 05:20 PM
(08-20-2018 03:16 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(08-20-2018 07:36 AM)Sava Wrote:  I read this site, and it seems I need ADK39. I tried the version from this site, but it doesn't work with Windows 10. Of course I can use virtual machine with old Woindows OS, but I think it isn't convenient. Maybe you or someone else can tell me, where can I download ADK39 working with Windows 10, please?

I have no idea, but I will guess that this has not been updated for a long time, as these model calculators are all fairly old, and interest in them has dropped a lot. I've never used ADK39 so can't provide much useful info.

Often, when an old program will not work on Win-10, you can get it to work by setting the compatibility settings in the property tab of the .exe file to "Windows XP SP3". In some cases this same trick must also be applied to the installer program as well, in order to get it installed. Give that a try. Otherwise. running in a VM is probably the best way to go.

If you find success, please post the solution that worked for you, to help folks in the future.

Good Luck!
Compatibility settings don't help. I have to use a VM I guess. I will write here if it works. By the way, is it possible and safe to use both VM and programs running on "real" computer? I'm sorry for so many questions but I have never used it.
08-20-2018, 09:08 PM
(08-20-2018 05:20 PM)Sava Wrote:  Compatibility settings don't help. I have to use a VM I guess. I will write here if it works. By the way, is it possible and safe to use both VM and programs running on "real" computer? I'm sorry for so many questions but I have never used it.

Yes, you can use apps under the VM and apps on the native machine at the same time, however they typically cannot "see" each other's files, as the VM storage is in an isolated virtual disk. There are ways to overcome this, but how to do so depends on which VM you use, how it's configured, etc. If file exchange is only rarely needed, then it may be easiest to simply email it to yourself.

--Bob Prosperi
08-21-2018, 01:21 AM
(08-20-2018 09:08 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(08-20-2018 05:20 PM)Sava Wrote:  Compatibility settings don't help. I have to use a VM I guess. I will write here if it works. By the way, is it possible and safe to use both VM and programs running on "real" computer? I'm sorry for so many questions but I have never used it.

Yes, you can use apps under the VM and apps on the native machine at the same time, however they typically cannot "see" each other's files, as the VM storage is in an isolated virtual disk. There are ways to overcome this, but how to do so depends on which VM you use, how it's configured, etc. If file exchange is only rarely needed, then it may be easiest to simply email it to yourself.

Another way is to "expose" the USB to the VM, so that it has access to thumb drives. You can then copy stuff over to the thumb drive, unmount or eject it (that's really important) within the VM (presumably shut down the VM too), and mount it on the host machine.

You can tell I've had far too much Linux time under my belt...

(Post 270)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-21-2019, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2019 05:29 PM by Stevetuc.)
(08-20-2018 07:36 AM)Sava Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 01:52 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  This website has a lot of programs and information about the 39gs/40gs (and the older 38/39/40/39+ models):

If its still of interest, you can download a program called winevdm which provides a 16bit subsystem to win 10 64 bit. Its a few 100 kb download and a registry file hack, so much much easier than installing a virtual OS!

https://github.com/otya128/winevdm

Ive just tested it with ADK39 running on Win10 64 and it works just fine:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.txt  README.txt (Size: 2.31 KB / Downloads: 11)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)