What to do with my Collection?
01-22-2018, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2018 10:16 PM by Brad Barton.)
RE: What to do with my Collection?
(01-21-2018 01:21 AM)Bill Duncan Wrote:  How do we handle the collections in our will?

Any thoughts?

Maybe we leave them to the MoHPC and sell them off individually to members. Proceeds go to defray the cost and time of running the site?

Or split the income from sales equally with the HHC conference committee to help keep the conferences going, or improve them. That way an HHC member could handle the posting, selling and shipping that are involved with such a venture.

Just a thought,
Brad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2018, 03:17 PM
(01-22-2018 10:15 PM)Brad Barton Wrote:  
(01-21-2018 01:21 AM)Bill Duncan Wrote:  How do we handle the collections in our will?

Any thoughts?

Maybe we leave them to the MoHPC and sell them off individually to members. Proceeds go to defray the cost and time of running the site?

Or split the income from sales equally with the HHC conference committee to help keep the conferences going, or improve them. That way an HHC member could handle the posting, selling and shipping that are involved with such a venture.

Just a thought,
Brad

I'm kind of late to the game here, but have given this some thought. My current "best solution," and my heirs know this already, is to have the contact info for a nearby interested party prominently stored with all the calculator stuff. My heirs know that only one phone call is required, then anything that says "HP" on it or looks like a calculator will be taken away quickly and efficiently and will become somebody else's problem :-). For better or worse, nobody in my family has any interest or awareness of these things.

We should all be searching for solutions like this, or Peter's, that work best for our own situations and which will keep these "rare and valuable" items out of the landfills and with people who know what they are/were.
07-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Anyone can certainly call or email me, Adam Jones. I am the dealer who helped Peter P.
You can reach me at aj04062@gmail.com
07-18-2018, 04:31 PM
(07-18-2018 03:17 PM)DanM Wrote:  I'm kind of late to the game here, but have given this some thought. My current "best solution," and my heirs know this already, is to have the contact info for a nearby interested party prominently stored with all the calculator stuff. My heirs know that only one phone call is required, then anything that says "HP" on it or looks like a calculator will be taken away quickly and efficiently and will become somebody else's problem :-). For better or worse, nobody in my family has any interest or awareness of these things.

We should all be searching for solutions like this, or Peter's, that work best for our own situations and which will keep these "rare and valuable" items out of the landfills and with people who know what they are/were.

I have a question. This sounds very similar to the video I recently watched on hpcalc.org. Are you the presenter of the presentation "The end is near or I love pessimism" back in 2017? It was a great video because it shows another way of expanding my collection. I was born in the 90's and (hopefully) will live a long time so I'm sure I can keep these valuable treasures out of the land fields.
07-18-2018, 06:29 PM
(07-18-2018 04:31 PM)Carsen Wrote:  
(07-18-2018 03:17 PM)DanM Wrote:  I'm kind of late to the game here, but have given this some thought. My current "best solution," and my heirs know this already, is to have the contact info for a nearby interested party prominently stored with all the calculator stuff. My heirs know that only one phone call is required, then anything that says "HP" on it or looks like a calculator will be taken away quickly and efficiently and will become somebody else's problem :-). For better or worse, nobody in my family has any interest or awareness of these things.

I have a question. This sounds very similar to the video I recently watched on hpcalc.org. Are you the presenter of the presentation "The end is near or I love pessimism" back in 2017? It was a great video because it shows another way of expanding my collection. I was born in the 90's and (hopefully) will live a long time so I'm sure I can keep these valuable treasures out of the land fields.

Yes, that was me! Thanks for watching the video! If you are anywhere near the New England Region of the USA, let me know your phone number and I can add it to the lists now attached to the various HP piles in/around my house, of local/interested parties in all those things my kids will not want.
07-19-2018, 01:43 AM
(07-18-2018 06:29 PM)DanM Wrote:  If you are anywhere near the New England Region of the USA, let me know your phone number and I can add it to the lists now attached to the various HP piles in/around my house, of local/interested parties in all those things my kids will not want.

Dan, you realize comments like that may have a small, but not insignificant effect on the real estate market, right?

--Bob Prosperi
07-19-2018, 12:25 PM
(07-19-2018 01:43 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(07-18-2018 06:29 PM)DanM Wrote:  If you are anywhere near the New England Region of the USA, let me know your phone number and I can add it to the lists now attached to the various HP piles in/around my house, of local/interested parties in all those things my kids will not want.

Dan, you realize comments like that may have a small, but not insignificant effect on the real estate market, right?

Any good websites for house hunting in New England? ;-)
07-19-2018, 01:26 PM
Just joined HP forum 2 weeks ago ...

I live in Massachusetts :-)
07-20-2018, 04:39 PM
(07-18-2018 06:29 PM)DanM Wrote:  Yes, that was me! Thanks for watching the video! If you are anywhere near the New England Region of the USA, let me know your phone number and I can add it to the lists now attached to the various HP piles in/around my house, of local/interested parties in all those things my kids will not want.

Ahh darn. I'm located in the heart of the USA, the midwest. (No I'm not a farmer lol). Of course, once I'm done with college I could literally move anywhere as long as there's jobs. However, I don't see myself moving that far east.

I'm crazy for HP Calculators but driving 20+ hours one way is past my limit.
04-13-2019, 07:38 PM
It’s been almost 1.5 years since I placed this question here. A lot has happened since then, including the vast majority of my collection finding new homes. Today the last part of that journey arrived here in my new home in Luxembourg. It turns out that not all intended pieces made the trip, but that just means I can hunt for a couple more pieces (Advanced Hepax QRG anyone?).

Please enjoy a quick picture of the resting place of most of my last pieces, telling the history of advancement by HP and the revival of these remarkable devices due to the ingenuity of many of you.

Thank you to all who have helped along this great journey!

[Image: 0f-_csQykgNcYd_pE4EeRwpgA#Parc_Merl]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Cheers,

PeterP

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)