Prices for HP41 modules/peripherals
07-02-2018, 03:43 PM
Prices for HP41 modules/peripherals
Greetings!
This is my first post. I was an HP employee from 1979 to 2013, joining HP right out of school. I have been an HP41 fan since I was issued an HP41C in December of 1980 - I still have that calculator and it works just fine.
I have been gathering up my calculator related items and I peeked at the prices on Ebay for some of the modules I have. I was absolutely floored at the prices! I assume the prices reflect the demand. I was curious, which module is the most sought after?

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2018, 07:25 PM
RE: Prices for HP41 modules/peripherals
Hello and Welcome Smile

Hmmm... The most expensive I have seen on ebay was an HEPAX module.
I guess that it is one of the most sought.
07-02-2018, 11:21 PM
(07-02-2018 03:43 PM)DaveBr Wrote:  Greetings!
This is my first post.

Welcome to the Forum!

(07-02-2018 03:43 PM)DaveBr Wrote:  I was curious, which module is the most sought after?

Depends on what you mean?

I'd say the PPC ROM is in a class by itself, and I've seen them purchased for over $500 (with manuals of course).

If you mean which module from any source commands the highest price, I'd agree it's either the HEPAX module or possibly the CCD module.

If you meant which module from HP, that's probably the Advantage Pac.

For which module has the best manual, that would be the Petroleum Fluids Pac.

So it depends on each person's meaning of most sought. What's yours?

--Bob Prosperi
07-03-2018, 02:17 AM
For well less than the the cost of a single one of those sought-after collector modules (about 170€, which includes the PIC programmer) you can get a NoV-64 that will completely emulate HEPAX and fit another 6-12 or so modules on. (48K rom... twelve 4K pages) PLUS 64K on NVRAM. HEPAX RAM even...

If that's too much coin, a "simple" Clonix had be had or even self-made more cheaply. It won't have all the advanced memory features, but you can pack a bunch of ROM images on it.

Really, the original ROM modules are best just for collectors today. If you are caring about function, something from the Clonix family (and NoV-64 is top-of-the-line) is a far better deal.

Diego does great work:

http://www.clonix41.org/Projects/Nov64/Nov64_00.htm
07-03-2018, 02:23 AM
You can also of course, have an HP 41CL with every rom known to man and woman. :-)

As to roms themselves, I think Bob has it right.

Hepax, CCD and/or Zenrom and PPC (although there is much in this that has been surpassed) for non-HP modules. The Extended IL is also an important one.

HP? Advantage probably.
07-03-2018, 02:36 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2018 01:20 PM by DaveBr.)
Thank you for the replies. The HEPAX module is new to me. I Googled it and it looks impressive to say the least. I have about a dozen HP41 modules with only one duplicate - the extended io module. I also have a couple of hpil modules, but no hpil peripherals. I don't have a 'grail' module, the CX and Advantage module more than meet my needs.
Thanks for the welcome.
Dave
07-08-2018, 07:32 PM
(07-02-2018 03:43 PM)DaveBr Wrote:  Greetings!
This is my first post. I was an HP employee from 1979 to 2013, joining HP right out of school. I have been an HP41 fan since I was issued an HP41C in December of 1980 - I still have that calculator and it works just fine.
I have been gathering up my calculator related items and I peeked at the prices on Ebay for some of the modules I have. I was absolutely floored at the prices! I assume the prices reflect the demand. I was curious, which module is the most sought after?

Dave

Like other toys mainly collected by retired fellows like classic Collins radios, prostate rumbling Harleys, and “warm” vintage McIntosh tube amps, the prices are dictated by the market.
07-08-2018, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2018 07:53 PM by aurelio.)
(07-08-2018 07:32 PM)Sukiari Wrote:  Like other toys mainly collected by retired fellows

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
07-09-2018, 01:44 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2018 01:45 AM by DaveBr.)
I have a 401K and a 41CK

and a 41CVK and a 41CXK

Dave

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)