HP Forums

Full Version: A76 button cell recommendations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone have opinions on what the best options are for the usual button cell replacements? eg. original HP-15C, 16C, 27S, etc..

I've seen prices anywhere from 100pc for $10 all the way up to $10 each, ridiculous range of pricing. But I've seen no-name brands and even Eveready leak. I'd like to get Duracell as I've never seen Duracell batteries leak; but I can't find their version of these cells which I think are only silver oxide 357?

While I'm at it, are the alkaline cells best, or silver oxide?

Any opinions?
(12-28-2017 04:34 AM)Bill Duncan Wrote: [ -> ]While I'm at it, are the alkaline cells best, or silver oxide?

Silver oxide cells (usually rated 1,55 V) have a significantly higher capacity than alkalines, so I would prefer these. Also their voltage drops much slower during use. Be sure to get fresh ones from a major manufacturer. A good source are photo stores: the S76 / SR44 was used in many classic cameras of the Seventies and Eighties. Since these batteries will power your calculators for many years I wouldn't care about one or two $/€ more or less.

Dieter
(12-28-2017 04:34 AM)Bill Duncan Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone have opinions on what the best options are for the usual button cell replacements? eg. original HP-15C, 16C, 27S, etc..

I have been using Energizer 357 (Silver Oxide) for years. I pick them up at my local Shoprite grocery store. They come in a blister pack of three (perfect quantity for the calculators) for less than $6. I've never had one leak.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
Around here (northeast Ohio), we can find silver oxide cells in the perfect bundle for the original Voyager series calculators.

The Energizer 3-packs are marked as 357 and I find them in Drug Mart stores. The cells themselves are stamped:

357/303
0% Hg
Energizer
+
MADE IN USA

We also see the Duracell 3-packs marked with 303/357/76 in CVS. These cells are stamped with:

303/357
DURACELL
+

Alan
Thanks everyone, silver oxide name brand it is!

Cheers, all the best for 2018!
I buy Energizer 357s from digikey.com. I have also seen them (somewhat) reasonably priced at Fry's, if there is one near you.

John
Reference URL's