HP Forums

Full Version: Most common calculators in the forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
(12-01-2017 09:51 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote: [ -> ]NB: Was the HP-38G yet mentioned? Allegedly the worst calculator HP ever made and therefore a _must_ for every collector.

I hadn't thought of collecting the worst model. Also, I would think that the 33S would win that spot.
(12-02-2017 06:36 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2017 09:51 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote: [ -> ]NB: Was the HP-38G yet mentioned? Allegedly the worst calculator HP ever made and therefore a _must_ for every collector.

I hadn't thought of collecting the worst model. Also, I would think that the 33S would win that spot.

Special mention: HP 6S for the color pairing.
(12-02-2017 06:49 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]Special mention: HP 6S for the color pairing.

Isn't the 6S also the one where one can't change the battery but has to throw it away when it's empty?
We've had a couple of "worst HP calculator" discussions here in the past. For me it is not one of the already mentioned types, but the 10B financial. Maybe the one I have is particularly flawed, but it is really bad. A calculator which I have no desire to ever touch again.
(12-02-2017 06:58 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-02-2017 06:49 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]Special mention: HP 6S for the color pairing.

Isn't the 6S also the one where one can't change the battery but has to throw it away when it's empty?
We've had a couple of "worst HP calculator" discussions here in the past. For me it is not one of the already mentioned types, but the 10B financial. Maybe the one I have is particularly flawed, but it is really bad. A calculator which I have no desire to ever touch again.

No, IIRC it has 4 screws on the back so you can remove it and change the battery.
I find the 10B quite unimpressive but on a par with the Pioneer line as far as quality is concerned.
(12-02-2017 07:31 PM)hp41cx Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.scribd.com/document/31704593...1211-Hp41c

what a pity it is behind paywall.

Searching for a "clear" file I ended up getting a copy of a journal of statistics in new Zealand that list the 41c and the sharp and I also realized that the site about the hp41 (see the link to the list of HP calculator resources in my signature) receives still updates, neat.

The nice part is that the community is active, the bad side is the amount of scattered efforts may dilute the energy too much when it comes to retention of the contributions. (and once again, there is no real concerted effort also for the global calculator community, Hp/TI/Sharp/casio and what not)

edit. Ah, I just realized that thanks to a link from Dave F. ( http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-909...l#pid84103 ) the content is already in the hp calc torrent
(12-02-2017 07:31 PM)hp41cx Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.scribd.com/document/31704593...1211-Hp41c

A little fuzzy unless you subscribe. Here, also.

http://web.archive.org/web/2012121216294...eVA027.pdf

Gileno, I remember you had on your webpage some pics of a very impressive collection in large glass cases. Could you repost those?

Dave
I bought one (new) ages ago before I started to realize HP wasn’t really in the business of making good RPN scientific calculators (at the time I just assumed there would be forever RPN scientifics by HP).

It was terrible. Screen was hard to see, and keys were weird. A few years later I sold it and was surprised how much someone paid for it (around $90 LOL). I was just glad to be rid of it.

Only later did I realize a lot of people actually like it, and even love it.

Well, to each his own.

(12-02-2017 06:36 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote: [ -> ]

The HP-33S is a very polarizing design. Functionally it is nice (predictably between a 32SII and 35S, logical) but the angled chevron-shaped keyboard is either hated or appreciated by users. I've been surprised by some members in the 33S fan club, I think Joe Horn is included.

I only got one in recent years as a collectable so never really spent much time using it. Clearly the 'modern' design doesn't appeal to traditional HP users, but maybe after actually using it a while it grows on you. I find the color scheme and contrast very poor, I find it hard to read in all but excellent lighting conditions. But no doubt this color scheme was favored by the marketing folks...
It's the poor screen that is (was) the real deal killer for me.

If the screen was better I might have invested more time trying to like it. But I found I just kept going back to using my 11C or the computer, so eventually sold it.

I think it's easy to blame marketing guys, but it's better to lay the blame where it really belongs: Large numbers of people who go for superficial cosmetics instead of actual usability. Their dollars dictate how products should be made to appeal to them. The initial light color of the Prime keys (the one I have, unfortunately) is probably in this domain.

Having said all this, poor LCD contrast on the 33S isn't really a marketing thing. The slanted keys yes, but surely nobody wants poor contrast. So, in fact, maybe we do need to blame the engineering and component sourcing departments for the 33S display.

(12-02-2017 09:51 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]The HP-33S is a very polarizing design. Functionally it is nice (predictably between a 32SII and 35S, logical) but the angled chevron-shaped keyboard is either hated or appreciated by users. I've been surprised by some members in the 33S fan club, I think Joe Horn is included.

I only got one in recent years as a collectable so never really spent much time using it. Clearly the 'modern' design doesn't appeal to traditional HP users, but maybe after actually using it a while it grows on you. I find the color scheme and contrast very poor, I find it hard to read in all but excellent lighting conditions. But no doubt this color scheme was favored by the marketing folks...
I acquired a "like new" 33S around two years ago from a well-known Polish seller in eBay, just to complement my two 35S units (the best looking machine in recent years), and more recently also got a used 30S which have a case format that looks similar to the 33S.
Not to mention my two other more traditional but powerful 32SII units acquired longer time ago that sit next to my 42S acquired as "like new" condition a few years ago when i did win the lottery and could afford it.
Of course i had to acquire the little and cheap 10S+ to go side by side with the not so cheap but really excellent 10bII+ "do-it-all" unit (even featuring a I/O interface allowing to flash it to do something else if you know how), joining my other older equally cheap nice looking and robust body 300s+ unit.

Sorry for this introduction, but as we are here comparing who has what, and despite my poor performance (as a collector), I felt that it was my obligation to join in a little here as well. Tongue

Indeed the 33S uses a unique cosmetics among the HP machines I know.
I don't like it at all. However, i recognize that this unique style may increase its market value even more in the next years, which can only be a good thing.
[/quote]

Gileno, I remember you had on your webpage some pics of a very impressive collection in large glass cases. Could you repost those?

Dave
[/quote]

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=3&theater

Dave
[/quote]

[/quote]

To whom does this collection belong?

[Image: 215759_10150151379131374_3308357_n.jpg?o...e=5AD0D138]
This picture is from the Heinz Nixdorf MuseumsForum (HNF) in Paderborn, Germany.
You can see more pictures from the calculator/pocket computer section here.
It's an impressive collection, they even have a TI-88...
Updated the first post after the info of eds2 (via PM).

gileno/hp41cx your list is massive! so thanks for contributing with it!

Although to be as consistent as possible with other entries in the the first topic I am not sure I can just count your entries since they are from 2012 and well, asking you whether you know if all of your calculators (even only the HP) work should be quite demanding.
(12-03-2017 03:21 PM)pier4r Wrote: [ -> ]Updated the first post after the info of eds2 (via PM).

Although to be as consistent as possible with other entries in the the first topic I am not sure I can just count your entries since they are from 2012 and well, asking you whether you know if all of your calculators (even only the HP) work should be quite demanding.

I only relate those who are aesthetically and operationally perfect.
I have many items that are in the boxes (NIB)
I did not lose interest after 2012 is that my life has changed a lot.
My old wife asked a question:
"Either I or they (calculators and etc.)"
I stayed with them :-)
I separated from my wife
I had to buy a place to store half of the collection that was in the apartment
In the list, I had to exclude some columns of information, such as serial number, location, etc.
I have many photos on my facebook
:-D

A man who is true to his heart! LOL

I pray my wife doesn't ask me to do the same! But yesterday she asked me what was I doing on eBay... I had a guilty face...

(12-03-2017 04:16 PM)hp41cx Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2017 03:21 PM)pier4r Wrote: [ -> ]Updated the first post after the info of eds2 (via PM).

I only relate those who are aesthetically and operationally perfect.
I have many items that are in the boxes (NIB)
I did not lose interest after 2012 is that my life has changed a lot.
My old wife asked a question:
"Either I or they (calculators and etc.)"
I stayed with them :-)
I separated from my wife
I had to buy a place to store half of the collection that was in the apartment
In the list, I had to exclude some columns of information, such as serial number, location, etc.
I have many photos on my facebook
It was crowded, but gradually I'm organizing.
The Casio items are organized.
Now I'm organizing HP items
I have 30 years left to live I hope I finish organizing before I die :-(

I have no fear and no shame in showing my items.
It was all bought over 37 years with lots of effort and honest money

[Image: 2017-12-03%2014.40.33_zpsuvda2a1a.jpg]
I throw an idea. With that amount of calculators assets, you could really organize a youtube channel how to solve this or that problem (for high school for example) with different calculators.

Or "vintage comparisons" (like the article that you linked hp41 vs sharp pc 1211). Would be quite an original channel for youtube. At the same time you could use the calculators and show them off , win-win !
(12-03-2017 08:08 PM)pier4r Wrote: [ -> ]I throw an idea. With that amount of calculators assets, you could really organize a youtube channel how to solve this or that problem (from high school) with different calculators.

Or "vintage comparisons" (like the article that you linked hp41 vs sharp pc 1211). Would be quite an original channel for youtube. At the same time you could use the calculators and show them off , win-win !

I think you do not understand :-)
I have many activities, responsibilities, travel and a team of geniuses to manage :-(
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Reference URL's