HP Forums

Full Version: Transpose symbol
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi,
in this new version there will be too many irons in the fire (well!), but in a next release I hope to have a "transpose symbol", a facility symbol for matrix traspose, a synonym for TRN() command:
\( A^{T} \) or Aͭ A⊤ or similar writings...

Maybe only an affectation (however with a lot of matrices it would be simpler to use), but... is it possible?

Salvo
As a matter of fact there are two commands: TRN, and transpose of which the first conjugates, too, if complex is on, which one should be available shorthanded? So I think that would result in a bit more confusion.
Arno
(11-20-2017 10:46 PM)Arno K Wrote: [ -> ]As a matter of fact there are two commands: TRN, and transpose of which the first conjugates, too, if complex is on, which one should be available shorthanded? So I think that would result in a bit more confusion.
Arno

yes, I know; however to avoid confusion maybe distinguish between T (transpose) and H (conjugate traspose, Hermitian) could help... But in this case we need two symbols. No, too many Smile
Hello,

Unlikely.
Such symbols would be postfix operators and they are a pain due to operator priority issues.

Cyrille
Inside Xcas you can use A^* for the transconjugate of A, it could be the same in the CAS.
(11-21-2017 06:49 AM)parisse Wrote: [ -> ]Inside Xcas you can use A^* for the transconjugate of A, it could be the same in the CAS.

It seems that it is not working
(11-21-2017 05:28 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote: [ -> ]Unlikely.
Such symbols would be postfix operators and they are a pain due to operator priority issues.
Cyrille

hi Cyrille,
I fancy it is tricky to implement and a real pain. My idea was inspired by the books, that have the "postfix" symbols T and H for matrix transpose (like them were postfix), so we have this "forma mentis" and habit and sometimes a reluctance to think that operation prefix...
Like we do with the inverse, ^-1, is easy to think "now I put ^T to traspose..."

(11-21-2017 06:49 AM)parisse Wrote: [ -> ]Inside Xcas you can use A^* for the transconjugate of A, it could be the same in the CAS.

(11-21-2017 07:37 AM)Carlos295pz Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that it is not working

Yes, it doesn't work in CAS in the Prime. It could be an half solution, or *the* solution, however...
Cyrille, do you think it could, in the future, activated in the Prime CAS?

Salvo
I would appreciate that functionality too.

And although "H" probably only makes sense for square matrices, the transpose would be useful for any rectangle matrix, i.e. including vectors. I often transpose the solutions of an equation to make them more readable...
Reference URL's