HP Forums

Full Version: 41CL Self-Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hi everybody
who has already done a CL upgrade following Sylvain job?
I've completed the CL update with the new procedure provided by Sylvain and Monte.

Please see the posts starting at #34 in this thread:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-8277-page-2.html

Good luck!

smp
I've completed several updates using Monte and Sylvain's tools. I've done:

1. Fully automatic scan and auto-update - success (but slow...)
2. Manual scan and auto-update - success (much faster)

To-do next:

3. Skip scanning (take list of updated pages from server --diff report), manual marking of pages to update, then auto-update (faster still)

4. Skip scanning (take list of updated pages from server --diff report), manual marking of pages, then manual updating (possibly the fastest option, but also a bit more tedious, requiring many precise flash update command sequences, so in the end could be not as fast as option 3).

Once you grok how this all works, option 3 is the clear way to go if you have a relatively small update to do (e.g. 1-3 or 4 update ROM pkg releases).

If you have a quite old CL board, and many updates are required, you can do the fully automatic scan & update without really needing to understand the magic, and thereby get a shiny new ROM set with very little effort. In my case, there were > 200 changes, and the fully auto process took 4+ hours, but for 99.99% of that it just did its own thing, beeping occasionally to let you know things are proceeding.

Jump in, the water is fine.
(10-09-2017 11:57 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]I've completed several updates using Monte and Sylvain's tools. I've done:

1. Fully automatic scan and auto-update - success (but slow...)
2. Manual scan and auto-update - success (much faster)

To-do next:

3. Skip scanning (take list of updated pages from server --diff report), manual marking of pages to update, then auto-update (faster still)

4. Skip scanning (take list of updated pages from server --diff report), manual marking of pages, then manual updating (possibly the fastest option, but also a bit more tedious, requiring many precise flash update command sequences, so in the end could be not as fast as option 3).

Once you grok how this all works, option 3 is the clear way to go if you have a relatively small update to do (e.g. 1-3 or 4 update ROM pkg releases).

If you have a quite old CL board, and many updates are required, you can do the fully automatic scan & update without really needing to understand the magic, and thereby get a shiny new ROM set with very little effort. In my case, there were > 200 changes, and the fully auto process took 4+ hours, but for 99.99% of that it just did its own thing, beeping occasionally to let you know things are proceeding.

Jump in, the water is fine.

Option 3 will almost always be the fastest. The only way that option 4 could be
faster is if you didn't need to copy a sector to RAM because every page needed
updating. This is exceedingly rare. Plus, you would need to be very fast on the
keyboard. After my first full scan/update I always use option 3. I do use option
4 when I'm trying out a new version of something that isn't in the FLDB yet or
when I just want to patch something that's already in Flash memory. P8BFR,
quick edit, P8UPD is _much_ easier than it was before YUPS.
(10-09-2017 09:57 PM)aurelio Wrote: [ -> ]who has already done a CL upgrade following Sylvain job?

I've updated my V2 41CL successfully. The other board (Beta) is currently not installed in a calculator, will do this later and try a 41CL to 41CL update.
(10-10-2017 05:23 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-09-2017 09:57 PM)aurelio Wrote: [ -> ]who has already done a CL upgrade following Sylvain job?

I've updated my V2 41CL successfully. The other board (Beta) is currently not installed in a calculator, will do this later and try a 41CL to 41CL update.

V2-to-V2 update is only possible if you are somehow able to force the serial port
to turn on in one of the machines. In the past I have done this by transiently
connecting a battery between the Rx and GND pins on the serial connector, but
I do not recommend doing this. The RS232 driver only powers up when a valid
level is detected on the receive pin. V4/V5 has a connection between the CPU
and the driver that allows software to force the driver to turn on.

But the CL-to-CL update works fine. I do it all the time.
I've updated my v4 ... full auto, and no problems. Worked great!
(10-09-2017 09:57 PM)aurelio Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everybody
Me, Monte, Robert, Ángel and several other user's ! Smile

(10-10-2017 05:23 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote: [ -> ]I've updated my V2 41CL successfully.
Yes!

(10-10-2017 09:21 PM)RobertM Wrote: [ -> ]I've updated my v4 ... full auto, and no problems. Worked great!
Fantastic!

This is great news for Monte and me.
The goal of this utility (41 ROM and PC App) was to allow 41CL users to update their machine by themselves.

I had very limited free time since coming back from HHC2017, I am currently working on a small article that will cover 41CL introductory and advanced update technique.
The next step will be to write the user's manual for the clupdate program.

Best regards,

Sylvain
(10-10-2017 05:30 PM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2017 05:23 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote: [ -> ]I've updated my V2 41CL successfully. The other board (Beta) is currently not installed in a calculator, will do this later and try a 41CL to 41CL update.

V2-to-V2 update is only possible if you are somehow able to force the serial port
to turn on in one of the machines. ...

Thank you for the hint, I was not aware of that. So I will update my Beta board via PC.
I have a V3 and a V4 board, both I can get the first upload of UPDAT-3A.rom. But then I cannot open comms to update the rom_files. I am thinking it is my cable setup as I misplaced my original cable and build a replacement.
(10-17-2017 05:49 AM)Nate Martin Wrote: [ -> ]I have a V3 and a V4 board, both I can get the first upload of UPDAT-3A.rom. But then I cannot open comms to update the rom_files. I am thinking it is my cable setup as I misplaced my original cable and build a replacement.

Hello Nate,
Strange, if you are able to transfer UPDAT-3A.rom through the serial link then you should be able to do the same with the rom_files.
Please, can you reply with your successful command line and with your failed command line so I can understand what you are doing/missing.
Sylvain
(10-10-2017 10:29 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-09-2017 09:57 PM)aurelio Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everybody
Me, Monte, Robert, Ángel and several other user's ! Smile

.............[omissis].............

This is great news for Monte and me.
The goal of this utility (41 ROM and PC App) was to allow 41CL users to update their machine by themselves.

I had very limited free time since coming back from HHC2017, I am currently working on a small article that will cover 41CL introductory and advanced update technique.
The next step will be to write the user's manual for the clupdate program.

Best regards,

Sylvain

Thank-you Sylvain, thank-you Monte, I will try soon to do it as well.
I started to "play" around last weekend with the procedure...but I've experienced problems with the java
(10-17-2017 05:49 AM)Nate Martin Wrote: [ -> ]I have a V3 and a V4 board, both I can get the first upload of UPDAT-3A.rom. But then I cannot open comms to update the rom_files. I am thinking it is my cable setup as I misplaced my original cable and build a replacement.

I had a bad self-made cable, update currently in progress...
(10-17-2017 08:45 PM)aurelio Wrote: [ -> ]I started to "play" around last weekend with the procedure...but I've experienced problems with the java

Hello Aurelio,
What kind of problems did you encountered with Java ?
Sylvain
(10-18-2017 11:22 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2017 08:45 PM)aurelio Wrote: [ -> ]I started to "play" around last weekend with the procedure...but I've experienced problems with the java

Hello Aurelio,
What kind of problems did you encountered with Java ?
Sylvain

Hello Sylvain, sorry for delay in the answer..
my problem is that I cannot open the clupdate-1.0.0
the version of java is the "correct" one, I've checked after the setup (this one has been "silent").

I would like to check with different os and different machines, before to talk about it but really I'd not the time, I'm working now with a 7
Hello Aurelio,

(10-19-2017 06:28 PM)aurelio Wrote: [ -> ]the version of java is the "correct" one, I've checked after the setup (this one has been "silent").
Could you please reply with the command line that you are typing and the answer Java is giving you.

(10-19-2017 06:28 PM)aurelio Wrote: [ -> ]my problem is that I cannot open the clupdate-1.0.0
Again, could you please reply with the command line that you are typing and the answer Java is giving you.

Regards,

Sylvain
(10-19-2017 08:51 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Aurelio,

(10-19-2017 06:28 PM)aurelio Wrote: [ -> ]the version of java is the "correct" one, I've checked after the setup (this one has been "silent").
Could you please reply with the command line that you are typing and the answer Java is giving you.

(10-19-2017 06:28 PM)aurelio Wrote: [ -> ]my problem is that I cannot open the clupdate-1.0.0
Again, could you please reply with the command line that you are typing and the answer Java is giving you.

Regards,

Sylvain

C:\>java -version
java version "1.8.0_144"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_144-b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.144-b01, mixed mode)

now

C:\clupdate-1.0.0> java -jar clupdate-1.0.0.jar
command parameter(s) description
----------- ----------------------------------- + -----------------------------
--help | list available commands
--manual | show users' manual
--list file-or-dir-name | list rom_files content
--validate file-or-dir-name | validate rom_files content
--diff file-or-dir-name file-or-dir-name | show diff between rom files
--update file-dir-name serial-port baud-rate | update to rom_files content
--upload filename serial-port baud-rate | upload ROM image to a 41CL
--download filename serial-port baud-rate | dwnload ROM image from a 41CL
(10-19-2017 09:50 PM)aurelio Wrote: [ -> ]C:\>java -version
java version "1.8.0_144"

This is perfect.

(10-19-2017 09:50 PM)aurelio Wrote: [ -> ]C:\clupdate-1.0.0> java -jar clupdate-1.0.0.jar

ok, now I understand the issue.
You need to gives the program the action you wand it do to.

For example, to see the short how-to manual, you need to type: java -jar clupdate-1.0.0.jar --manual [RETURN]

I suggest that you download the HHC-2017 41CL update presentation and the update package.
Take the time to read it.
When you are ready, do the installation procedure described at page 16, then try to do the basic update scenario described in the "FLASH UPDATE WITH PC HOST" section (page 35 to 44).

Regards,

Sylvain
(10-20-2017 01:03 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2017 09:50 PM)aurelio Wrote: [ -> ]C:\>java -version
java version "1.8.0_144"

This is perfect.

(10-19-2017 09:50 PM)aurelio Wrote: [ -> ]C:\clupdate-1.0.0> java -jar clupdate-1.0.0.jar

ok, now I understand the issue.
You need to gives the program the action you wand it do to.

For example, to see the short how-to manual, you need to type: java -jar clupdate-1.0.0.jar --manual [RETURN]

I suggest that you download the HHC-2017 41CL update presentation and the update package.
Take the time to read it.
When you are ready, do the installation procedure described at page 16, then try to do the basic update scenario described in the "FLASH UPDATE WITH PC HOST" section (page 35 to 44).

Regards,

Sylvain
thank-you Sylvain, the program need to be run from the command line
i've downloaded all the material and I'll start to read it entirely
thank-you again
(10-18-2017 04:50 AM)Nate Martin Wrote: [ -> ]I had a bad self-made cable, update currently in progress...

Once I got the bad cable sorted out (pin-9 to tip instead of ground), the V3 had 236 roms updated and the V4 had 99 roms updated.

Procedure worked well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Reference URL's