HP Forums

Full Version: NumWorks open source calculator
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(09-24-2020 03:33 AM)DMaier Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondering if anyone has been able to find the N0110? Amazon seems to be shipping the N0100. (Adafruit is also shipping the N0100, but perhaps that's because their market is the folks who want to hack the device?)

NumWorks doesn't ship to Canada (annoying, but not uncommon with small manufacturers); however, it appears that when you order from them you can't tell which model you are ordering, which is a bit surprising (perhaps they have an inventory of unsold N0100's they now need to shift?).

I've been blissfully unaware of the two hardware revisions until now. I'm looking at the back of my unit and it says N0110. I ordered it directly from NumWorks back in April or May so I guess NumWorks themselves don't have a stash of the old units and send the new ones.

Maybe if you ask them they'll add Canada to their list or do a one-time shipping...
I received mine on Apr 1, 2020 from Amazon, and the back says N0110.
AFAICT as well, most NumWorks calculators sold starting several weeks to several months after the N0110 came out are N0110 models. I'm not aware NumWorks ever provided a choice between N0100 and N0110 when buying from them, and therefore, I'd say that they were approximately out of their own N0100 stock when they were able to start selling the N0110 in volume. I have no insider confirmation of that, though.
IOW, maybe some lower-volume resellers still have N0100 stock, but at this stage, a year after the initial availability of the N0110, I think that you'd be unlucky to receive a brand-new N0100, especially if buying from a higher-volume reseller.

Unlike the N0110 hardware, the N0100 hardware is designed to be modded to add a 1.27mm pitch SOIC-8 QSPI Flash chip, which is a relatively easy soldering job (never done it myself, but 1.27mm isn't usually considered hard to solder, unlike finer pitches). The N0110 uses the 8 MB Flash chip indicated from the beginning on the N0100's schematics. Some third-party forks of Epsilon have some level of support for these modded N0100s, and add giac to the feature set, on both N0100 and N0110.
NumWorks v15 2020

What other manufacturer offers you more than 15 updates in 3 years?

https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php...06#p257206
(11-06-2020 04:18 AM)compsystems Wrote: [ -> ]NumWorks v15 2020

I think HP did almost that many firmware releases for the HP 49G series.
https://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/pc/rom/
(11-06-2020 04:18 AM)compsystems Wrote: [ -> ]NumWorks v15 2020

SwissMicros did better with the DM42.
Firmware list
Hello!

(11-06-2020 04:18 AM)compsystems Wrote: [ -> ]What other manufacturer offers you more than 15 updates in 3 years?

Since when is a large number of updates over a short period of time a sign of quality ;-) ? Back when I earned my money with software we were especially proud when we got it right the first time!

Regards
Max
(11-06-2020 11:57 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote: [ -> ]Hello!

(11-06-2020 04:18 AM)compsystems Wrote: [ -> ]What other manufacturer offers you more than 15 updates in 3 years?

Since when is a large number of updates over a short period of time a sign of quality ;-) ? Back when I earned my money with software we were especially proud when we got it right the first time!

Regards
Max

Don't get me started on this!
Today 'continuous improvement' (aka I don't even look for bugs: *you* are the beta tester) is the mantra.
There must be some optimum number of updates per unit time: too many and the project is 'unstable'; too few and it's deemed 'unmaintained'...
More than incremental bug fixes, NumWorks' software updates represent incremental feature improvements. They use their own tests, both manual and automated, as well as public beta tests.
Therefore, I wouldn't say that 15 updates in 3 years reflect on the poor quality of their software Smile
(11-06-2020 03:52 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]Don't get me started on this!
Today 'continuous improvement' (aka I don't even look for bugs: *you* are the beta tester) is the mantra.

Been there, been forced to do that. Get rid of testers because they just slow everything down, then blame the developers if buggy software ends up being released. Because Agile. Big Grin

The number of releases doesn't tell you anything. Look at the release notes and check what is being changed. Crashes and data corruption bugs? Or obscure edge cases and new features?
(11-08-2020 04:44 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote: [ -> ]Because Agile. Big Grin
You nailed it.

(11-08-2020 04:44 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote: [ -> ]The number of releases doesn't tell you anything. Look at the release notes and check what is being changed. Crashes and data corruption bugs? Or obscure edge cases and new features?
Yes, of course. However after my android phone goes through its daily update cycle, most of the times I only find 'bug fixes and improvements' as an explanation for a new release...
(11-08-2020 08:00 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, of course. However after my android phone goes through its daily update cycle, most of the times I only find 'bug fixes and improvements' as an explanation for a new release...

Yeah, they're agile too...

I keep reading how the DOD wants to improve cost and schedule overrun problems with troublesome acquisition programs and are planning to soon require more modern techniques possibly including agile development. Yikes! 'No problem, just get an update from the Play Store' likely won't be too helpful if the weapon system doesn't work right the first time...
(11-08-2020 08:29 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Yikes! 'No problem, just get an update from the Play Store' likely won't be too helpful if the weapon system doesn't work right the first time...

Had to grin at that one! I worked for a DoD contractor at the beginning of my career, and boy were they strict. Don't want a torpedo looping back at cha, or a Warhead Exploder test set detonating your warhead by mistake...
Some fun with numworks N110 and Omega firmware :

Picture
Source code
(11-10-2020 05:55 PM)Oulan Wrote: [ -> ]Some fun with numworks N110 and Omega firmware :

Picture
Source code

Guys, definitely take a look, you'll be quite surprised!! Smile
(11-10-2020 06:03 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-10-2020 05:55 PM)Oulan Wrote: [ -> ]Some fun with numworks N110 and Omega firmware :

Picture
Source code

Guys, definitely take a look, you'll be quite surprised!! Smile

Finally something useful for this calculator!
Python... pfui! Big Grin
(11-10-2020 07:59 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-10-2020 06:03 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Guys, definitely take a look, you'll be quite surprised!! Smile

Finally something useful for this calculator!
Python... pfui! Big Grin

Totally agree, now I can justify buying one. What is the best place to get one for delivery in USA, anyone have a suggestion?
(11-10-2020 10:28 PM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-10-2020 07:59 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote: [ -> ]Finally something useful for this calculator!
Python... pfui! Big Grin

Totally agree, now I can justify buying one. What is the best place to get one for delivery in USA, anyone have a suggestion?

If you're in the US, order right from the company in France. They have a US warehouse. It took four days from the time I ordered to the time it was delivered to northern NY State and it was shipped from the USA.
(11-11-2020 01:11 AM)toml_12953 Wrote: [ -> ]If you're in the US, order right from the company in France. They have a US warehouse. It took four days from the time I ordered to the time it was delivered to northern NY State and it was shipped from the USA.

Thanks Tom, I would have never guessed there's enough demand here to justify local warehousing. Will do so soon.

How simple is it to copy apps to the Numworks device, is special s/w required?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reference URL's