HP Forums

Full Version: Understanding the HP 28S XPON function
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I guess I don't quite understand the usefulness of the XPON function on the HP 28S for symbolic expressions. I tried to evaluate the expression XPON("X^3") using ->NUM but it returns the error: Undefined Name. How does one, for example, determine the degree of a polynomial expression?
XPON is only for real numbers, not algebraic objects. HP 28S RPL does not contain a command that returns the degree of a polynomial. The DEGREE command which does that was introduced into RPL later, in the HP 48G.
Probably the 50G, Joe. The 49G AUG does not know DEGREE.
(I have only a 48 and a 49, and I never heard of it - but that's not a reliable reference ;-)

Cheers, Werner
I wonder if this can be successfully programmed for the 28s? One thought I had is to perform successive differentiation until you end up with a constant? A loop counter could keep track of the number.

Another idea is to evaluate the polynomial using Horner's method (PVAL in the Math Applications reference) and then SIZE the nested list.
(02-25-2017 12:43 PM)Werner Wrote: [ -> ]Probably the 50G, Joe. The 49G AUG does not know DEGREE.
(I have only a 48 and a 49, and I never heard of it - but that's not a reliable reference ;-)

The 49G with firmware version 1.19-6 contains a DEGREE function that returns the degree of a polynomial. It's listed in the 49G's built-in CATALOG, and it has a help screen.

The 49G AUG is unfortunately missing an astounding number of 49G commands (at least they are missing from its Command Index on pages 427-432), including the following:
  • ALGB
  • ASSUME
  • AUGMENT
  • BASIS
  • C2P
  • CASCMD
  • CHOLESKY
  • CIRC
  • COLLECT
  • CONSTANTS
  • CYCLOTOMIC
  • DEF
  • DEGREE
  • DIAGMAP
  • DISPXY
  • DISTRIB
  • DOMAIN
  • DROITE
  • EXP&LN
  • EXP2HYP
  • EXP2POW
  • EXPLN
  • FDISTRIB
  • GAMMA
  • GBASIS
  • GRAMSCHMIDT
  • GREDUCE
  • HELP
  • HYPERBOLIC
  • IBASIS
  • INTEGER
  • ISOM
  • KER
  • LASTARG
  • LOCAL
  • MAIN
  • MATHS
  • MKISOM
  • MODULAR
  • MSLV
  • OLDPRT
  • P2C
  • PLOT
  • PMINI
  • POLYNOMIAL
  • POP
  • POTENTIAL
  • POWEXPAND
  • PUSH
  • RCLVX
  • REWRITE
  • RULES
  • SERIAL
  • SIMPLIFY
  • SREV
  • STORE
  • STOVX
  • STURM
  • STURMAB
  • SYST2MAT
  • TAN2CS2
  • TESTS
  • UNASSIGN
  • UNASSUME
  • UNBIND
  • VPOTENTIAL
--- the commands in Library 256 are not included in the list above, but they were not in the 49G AUG either.
I stand corrected ;-)
At least it's the 49, not the 48 ;-)

Werner
Reference URL's