HP Forums

Full Version: Keep which HP-48
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I feel I have acquired at least one HP48 in excess of even the most optimistic conceivable needs I might have.

I just can't decide which one to find a new home for. I have two GX which are practically identical except for one having a "P" and one an "R" ROM, a G+ and a a G I found to be modded to 128K.

From a collector's point of view I'd keep one of each type (meaning the "P" ROM GX would have to go), from a calculating point of view I'd rather keep the two GXs (as I don't do calculations on a scale that might be endangered by the "P"s bugs.

Any suggestions?
Your dilemma is just like nuclear war.

The only winning move is to not make a move at all.

And btw, what does "need" have to do with keeping or getting rid of calculators?

Very confusing.
(02-25-2014 11:02 PM)Siegfried Wrote: [ -> ]I feel I have acquired at least one HP48 in excess of even the most optimistic conceivable needs I might have.

I just can't decide which one to find a new home for. I have two GX which are practically identical except for one having a "P" and one an "R" ROM, a G+ and a a G I found to be modded to 128K.

From a collector's point of view I'd keep one of each type (meaning the "P" ROM GX would have to go), from a calculating point of view I'd rather keep the two GXs (as I don't do calculations on a scale that might be endangered by the "P"s bugs.

Any suggestions?

I'd keep both GX's. The P rom is not a common rom. The G+ and upgraded G are essentially identical. Keep one of the G+ or 128K G, but not both (does one have a better screen?) if you feel you _must_ get rid of one.
Thanks for the input. I rationalized the purchase of the "R" GX by telling myself that I would sell the "P" one for about the same amount and get a free upgrade....

Apart from that and not having enought time to actually use and cherish all the calcs I have, a general lack of space (I also dabble in collecting Ataris), the planned purchase of a 41CX and a necessity to keep marital peace there is no urgent need to get rid of anything....

As for the rarity of the "P" ROM, that's an interesting thought although I would probably not start to hunt for a lineup of all available ROM variations before getting both a 9100 and divorced.

Is there any systematic variation in displays apart from the "black" late ones (which all of mine don't seem to have). Or do I just look at them and choose what looks best to me?
(02-26-2014 02:30 AM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Your dilemma is just like nuclear war.
Wargames ?
(02-26-2014 04:46 PM)patrice Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-26-2014 02:30 AM)rprosperi Wrote: [ -> ]Your dilemma is just like nuclear war.
Wargames ?

Exactly. But it applies to selling/traders calculators equally well!
So the worst mistake was buying the first one and all I can do from now is trying to minimize my loss....
(02-26-2014 03:22 PM)Siegfried Wrote: [ -> ]As for the rarity of the "P" ROM, that's an interesting thought although I would probably not start to hunt for a lineup of all available ROM variations before getting both a 9100 and divorced.

Sounds to me like you just need to follow through on your original plan -- sell the extra (P ROM) GX and consider the result as having had a free ROM upgrade.

Quote:Is there any systematic variation in displays apart from the "black" late ones (which all of mine don't seem to have). Or do I just look at them and choose what looks best to me?

It really is just a matter of what looks best to you. That said, the G+ models were all made in Indonesia -- which means the key labels were PAINTED as opposed to being molded. If your upgraded unit is a Singapore model, then it likely has the molded keys which do not wear. The easiest way to tell is to look at the letter E. The molded keys will have sharp corners, whereas the painted ones are likely to have rounded corners. I am pretty sure the P ROM has molded keys, whereas the G+ does not.
(02-26-2014 08:33 PM)Han Wrote: [ -> ]It really is just a matter of what looks best to you. That said, the G+ models were all made in Indonesia -- which means the key labels were PAINTED as opposed to being molded. If your upgraded unit is a Singapore model, then it likely has the molded keys which do not wear. The easiest way to tell is to look at the letter E. The molded keys will have sharp corners, whereas the painted ones are likely to have rounded corners. I am pretty sure the P ROM has molded keys, whereas the G+ does not.

I have 2 G models, one from Singapore and one from Indonesia and they both seem to have painted keys. I also have an American-made SX and the keys look the same as on the G models I have. I am surprised because I would have thought the American made one would have the molded keys. My HP 67 is from Singapore so I know that factory did good work in the old days. But my Indonesian and Singaporean G models look identical.

Can somebody post some pics of molded and painted keys for the sake of comparison?

(I would like to get a G+ and a GX but I will have to wait a few months.)
(02-27-2014 07:53 AM)HP67 Wrote: [ -> ]Can somebody post some pics of molded and painted keys for the sake of comparison?

(I would like to get a G+ and a GX but I will have to wait a few months.)
Back then when they started painting instead molding the key tops, I also had doubts about the durability of the painted legends.
However _none_ of my HP calcs up to and including the latest GX units has worn or faded key legends.
I wouldn't guarantee durability for the models after the GX (FHB: Rubber keys...)

My opinion about painted vs. molded keys
I know little of the HP 48, I have a 20 + year old HP 11C and a current, I think, HP 50G. That being said, if calculators are anything like good firearms, consider the following admonition. If you ever had a firearm that you were happy with, however you might spell "happy", keep it. It you sell or trade it, you will forever regret having so done.
Its odd but I still regret selling my HP-11C over 14 years ago. It was the only Voyager I owned (bought it new in 1986) and I only used it for a couple of years before moving on to RPL models. It had such a great form factor and I enjoyed using it. I suppose I could get another Voyager but it wouldn't be the same.

That said, sell the one you think you [/quote]would not regret having soldSmile
(02-28-2014 10:54 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote: [ -> ]Back then when they started painting instead molding the key tops

That is what I am trying to figure out. When did the changeover happen?
(03-01-2014 07:24 PM)HP67 Wrote: [ -> ]When did the changeover happen?
I think it was somewhere between 1993 and 1995, since the early 48G models (from 1993) have molded key legends, but AFAIK the 38G and 48G units from 1995 on all have painted key legends.

I had a (service replacement) HP-42S from late 1995 which still had molded key legends, though.

Some Voyagers have both, molded and painted key legends at the same time, and even on the same keys (There's a branch in the MoHPC related to this) . That's how "repurposing" worked back then;-)
(03-03-2014 01:05 AM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote: [ -> ]I think it was somewhere between 1993 and 1995, since the early 48G models (from 1993) have molded key legends, but AFAIK the 38G and 48G units from 1995 on all have painted key legends.

My Gs were made in '96 and '98 and the keys look like the keys on my SX that was made in 1990.
So either they were still making molded keys in 98 for the G model, or in 1990 the American factory was using painted keys for SX models (not likely), or I am blind and can't see the difference between keys that actually are different. I have no idea which of these choices is correct!

Can anybody post pics of keys that are known to be molded and keys that are known to be painted, so we can see the difference?
(03-03-2014 06:49 AM)HP67 Wrote: [ -> ][...] or I am blind and can't see the difference between keys that actually are different.
Caress your Enter key with your fingertip and you'll feel the paint. If it feels smooth, it isn't painted.

@Siegfried, If you don't need to make money from it, give the one you choose to a good friend. You'll never regret that.
(03-03-2014 01:05 AM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote: [ -> ]I think it was somewhere between 1993 and 1995, since the early 48G models (from 1993) have molded key legends, but AFAIK the 38G and 48G units from 1995 on all have painted key legends.

I have a late Singapore 48GX from 1997 with new serial no. format SG716xxxxx which still has molded keys. The next one I have is a Indonesia 48GX from 1999 with serial no. ID923xxxxx with painted keys.

Maybe also interested, a 17BII International with ID736xxxxx has molded keys, a 17BII English with ID952xxxxx has painted keys.
Yes,
the time frame has to be shifted by a few years, and maybe expanded.
Here are some key legend variations. The individual pic files are between 22KB and 80KB, so not very large.

19BII from mid 1990 made in Singapore with molded keys:
[Image: 19b2_1.jpg][Image: 19b2_2.jpg]

19BII from mid 1997 made in Indonesia with painted keys:
[Image: 19b2_3.jpg]

38G from mid 1995 made in Singapore with painted keys:
[Image: 38g_35s.jpg]

48G from 1997 made in Singapore with molded keys:
[Image: 48g_sg71.jpg]

48GX from 2001 made in Indonesia with painted keys:
[Image: 48gx_id1.jpg]

The optical difference between molded and painted keys can clearly be seen.
The legends of the molded keys have slightly slanted/uneven edges, especially near their respective end, which is due to mechanical/production reasons.
The legends of the painted keys "could" look better, but due to obvious "negative quality constraints" the painted/printed SIN legend is even slightly sloped.
(03-03-2014 07:22 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-03-2014 06:49 AM)HP67 Wrote: [ -> ][...] or I am blind and can't see the difference between keys that actually are different.
Caress your Enter key with your fingertip and you'll feel the paint. If it feels smooth, it isn't painted.

Based on that I think my G from 1998 might have painted keys but I still can't tell for sure. I need a way to upload pics so somebody who can see can get a look.
(03-04-2014 01:22 AM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote: [ -> ]The optical difference between molded and painted keys can clearly be seen.

Not to these eyes!

Thanks a lot for posting the pics. I am still not sure I can tell the difference. With known molded and painted pics side by side I do see the legends are sharper on the molded keys. But on my calcs I can't tell.

I'll try to get some pics uploaded but I'm having a little problem with that at the moment.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's