HP Forums

Full Version: Custom characters in hp50p
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.
Is it possible to modify characters in the CHARS menu and then use them in the equation writer?
Also, the ones i create disappear when i restart the calculator with On+F3. Is there a way to save these custom characters?
You can put your modified font in the stack with the command FONT->. Then you can store it in a variable.
You can load a font with the command ->FONT.

To load automatically a font after ON-F3, create the following program in the HOME directory, named STARTUP :
<< 2:myfont RCL ->FONT >>
(in this example, myfont is stored in port 2)

You can do the same thing with the minifont, using the commands MINIFONT-> and ->MINIFONT.
To modify a minifont, you need an additional tool. You will find several minifont editors here:
http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/utils/fonts/
I've used MFED, very simple and effective.

I hope this answers your questions.
(12-09-2016 11:15 PM)Helix Wrote: [ -> ]You can put your modified font in the stack with the command FONT->. Then you can store it in a variable.
You can load a font with the command ->FONT.

To load automatically a font after ON-F3, create the following program in the HOME directory, named STARTUP :
<< 2:myfont RCL ->FONT >>
(in this example, myfont is stored in port 2)

You can do the same thing with the minifont, using the commands MINIFONT-> and ->MINIFONT.
To modify a minifont, you need an additional tool. You will find several minifont editors here:
http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/utils/fonts/
I've used MFED, very simple and effective.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks! Is it possible to use these custom symbold in the EQW ?
If you modify a font, the change appears every time this font is used, including in the equation writer.
Just try it!
Hello,

One of my favorite Apri's fool day joke on the 50 series is as follow:
Change the 1 and 2 characters in the font so that 1 is 2 and 2 is one.
Setup the calculator in user mode, with the 1 key returning a 2 and the 2 key returning a 1.
sit back and enjoy the dumbfounded look on your friend's face!

Cyrille
(12-12-2016 07:20 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

One of my favorite April's fool day joke on the 50 series is as follow:

Reminds me of the time we changed the source code to a Unix shell to hardwire the prompt to "Mr. No Tabs" and foisted it on a guy who refused to use the tab character in his source code. He spent about an hour trying to reset the prompt before he wised up.
I tried modifying some of the first characters but couldn't use them in EQW. Then i tried modifying one that i suspect i won't need, this one i could use but when it was saved as a variable the original version was used for the variable name. So then i kinda defeats the purpose in my case. I was however able to recall the font and save it so at least I don't have to lose it again..
(12-14-2016 08:55 PM)tdh79 Wrote: [ -> ]I tried modifying some of the first characters but couldn't use them in EQW. Then i tried modifying one that i suspect i won't need, this one i could use but when it was saved as a variable the original version was used for the variable name. So then i kinda defeats the purpose in my case. I was however able to recall the font and save it so at least I don't have to lose it again..

The first x number of the characters are control character and show only a black square on the screen.. This is interesting idea migh do some modification my self for those rare to me è style of characters to get subscript for equation variables.. There is also some characters in @#%&*//() series that are not allowed as program nor filename.
(12-14-2016 08:55 PM)tdh79 Wrote: [ -> ]I tried modifying some of the first characters but couldn't use them in EQW. Then i tried modifying one that i suspect i won't need, this one i could use but when it was saved as a variable the original version was used for the variable name. So then i kinda defeats the purpose in my case. I was however able to recall the font and save it so at least I don't have to lose it again..

The "first" character is the null character and is not allowed for input no matter how you modified its font display.
(12-14-2016 11:34 PM)Vtile Wrote: [ -> ]The first x number of the characters are control character and show only a black square on the screen..

That's true of FONT8 (the default font) and FONT6, but not FONT7, whose first 32 characters include box drawing characters and other useful stuff. To see this, press MODE DISP CHOOS, select System Font 7 with the arrow keys, OK OK OK, CHARS. To return to normal, repeat the above to select System Font 8. (Shortcut: press ON+C to force a warmstart).
Hello,

Also remember that you are not limited to the 3 system fonts, you can create your own fonts and store them in the user file system and use them in paralel with the system fonts.

I just do not remember where and how they need to be stored for things to work and for them to be picked up...

Cyrille
Reference URL's