HP Forums

Full Version: Bug: solve(), nsolve() and fsolve() depend on angle mode?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

On handheld or emulator, In CAS mode solve(), nsolve(), fsolve() appear to work correctly in either angle mode. However in HOME mode:

- fsolve(X^2-5,X) yields [[]] when in degrees mode. Same for CAS.solve(), CAS.nsolve()

- fsolve(X^2-5,X) yields [-2.24 2.24] when in radians mode. Same for CAS.solve(), CAS.nsolve()

I searched here but did not see this issue posted.

Best,
Carl
Two comments:
- variable definitions are x in CAS and X in Home (even if you tell on which variable you solve, I know this is weird)
- most of the solve functions require an expression with '=' sign. In the best case you'll get a warning telling you that it assumes "=0" otherwise you just don't know what happens

Now, I played with your example and didn't find a connection with use of degrees/radians but the solve functions are extremely chaotic for sure and the help quite inexistant.
(02-15-2014 12:41 PM)Tugdual Wrote: [ -> ]Two comments:
- variable definitions are x in CAS and X in Home (even if you tell on which variable you solve, I know this is weird)
- most of the solve functions require an expression with '=' sign. In the best case you'll get a warning telling you that it assumes "=0" otherwise you just don't know what happens

Now, I played with your example and didn't find a connection with use of degrees/radians but the solve functions are extremely chaotic for sure and the help quite inexistant.

Thanks for your comments and looking at this. Yep, I know about x vs X as CAS vs Home variables. It also seems that you don't always need the "=" sign in the expression. As others have posted - I wish there were a "help popup or tool-tip" that was available when selecting these functions...

I'm still seeing these errors in HOME depending on degree/radians settings. I hope this gets looked at as it can be convenient to run these solve functions from HOME - but less so if I have to check to be in radians mode.
Hi,

Until this is solved, in HOME mode, you could always use the CAS("fsolve(x^2-5,x)") syntax. It will work either with degrees or radians modes.

Regards,

Miguel
(02-15-2014 02:13 PM)Miguel Toro Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Until this is solved, in HOME mode, you could always use the CAS("fsolve(x^2-5,x)") syntax. It will work either with degrees or radians modes.

Regards,

Miguel

Thank you Miguel -I see that the format you suggested is more robust. I guess just calling fsolve() from the toolbox>Catlg and using X vs x while in HOME is not as robust.
Reference URL's