HP Forums

Full Version: who said IBM had no sense of humor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Boy, I'll bet those System 3 "high density" cards are hard to find. Perhaps that's why there's not a vibrant S/3 hobbyist community? :-)

2.4MB drives, if I did the arithmetic correctly.

Bob

PS Is the narrator John Forsythe? Foreshadowing his Charlie's Angels persona?
(04-27-2016 02:05 AM)BobVA Wrote: [ -> ]Boy, I'll bet those System 3 "high density" cards are hard to find. Perhaps that's why there's not a vibrant S/3 hobbyist community? :-)

2.4MB drives, if I did the arithmetic correctly.

Bob

PS Is the narrator John Forsythe? Foreshadowing his Charlie's Angels persona?

Actually, the 96-column cards are pretty easy to find on Ebay. I got 100 blank ones for about $12 (from Puerto Rico) and a few punched ones for a few bucks. They are interesting.

I would imagine the lack of a S/3 community is due to a lack of working machines; there don't seem to be many working ones that have survived.

The narrator could be John Forsythe, but it doesn't sound quite like him to me. The bongo drums give the video a "Mission Impossible" feel.

The S/3 Wikipedia site describes some interesting quirks, like in order to use the system to punch cards like a keypunch you have to bring down the system as a computer. Wow.
I still have a couple of boxes of full sized IBM 370 punch cards. We use them for note cards.
(04-28-2016 10:51 PM)ViningC Wrote: [ -> ]I still have a couple of boxes of full sized IBM 370 punch cards. We use them for note cards.
Try this with 8" floppy disks! Wink
Reference URL's