HP Forums

Full Version: HP Prime Firmware Update Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

I have decided to update to the recent firmware 20150617 v 8151.

The touch screen was fully functional before the firmware update. I used the HP Connectivity Kit to perform the update.

Everything finished perfectly and the calculator restarted with the HP logo, x^2 + y^2 equation.
Than I noticed that my touch screen not responding at all. Now my HP Prime Graphing Calculator is stuck on the slide to unlock the calculator screen.

Did you guys have any problems like this? If so is there a solution?

-Thank You
If you are unable to use the finger swipe to proceed, you might want to try the ON-SYMB reset. If that isn't working for you, and you can turn off the calc, you could try holding C-F-O keys all down at once, and press ON. Item 8 from that diagnostic menu, to refresh firmware, then item 9, to RESET the calc.

One other thing that might work for you, is to Format Disk C, from item 4, flash utility. In general, I haven't had any problems loading release 8151.

-Dale-
I did see one other person about 8 months back or so that reported a similar thing. They resolved it by re-doing the flashing process. The idea was that something happened in the middle and the flash did not completely properly.

You can place your calculator into the update mode directly by holding down the SYMB button, and while continuing to hold it down, press the reset button in the back with a pin. Once you see the "recovery mode" screen, connect it to the computer with the connectivity kit and start the connkit. You should see a brief message asking if you want to update.
I just performed all the possible solutions of fixing the problem:

1. On-Symb ==> Didn't solve the problem
2. Holding C-F-O and pressing ON button to refresh the firmware ==> Didn't solve the problem
3. Holding C-F-O and pressing ON button to format Disk C ==> Didn't solve the problem
4. Re-doing the flash process by holding the SYMB and pressing the reset button and connecting it to the computer to update the firmware using connectivity kit ==> Didn't solve the problem

Note for #4: Connectivity asked me to update after connecting the calculator with the recovery mode screen and the update window flashed 3 times and updated successfully.

Not sure why this is happening, but is there any other solutions that I can perform to fix this issue?

-Thank You
Sorry for the stupid question, but just to be sure:

You did try to slide the icon to the left/or right (but were unable to actually move the icon), yes?
Yeah I tried sliding the lock button, but it doesn't respond just stays in place.
I managed to download the previous connectivity kit 2014-12-03 and upload the firmware 20141203 v6975. I also refreshed the firmware for the touch screen, but still no luck.
I would contact support. They have a "recovery" tool that can be provided. I think that might be what that other person needed to do. I am not certain about that however.[/align]
Thanks for the reply Tim, I'll give that a try and hopefully it gets fixed.
Hi!, TaeML:

Try, with ON+Apps+Esc. This procedure, if HP PRIME is off, turn ON. If ON, clean memory.
Too, if you have installed, the connectivity kit, in any device, connect, the HP PRIME and press ON+Apps+Esc.

If nothing happen and you didn't have, warranty ... remove, the battery, for a period, of an hour or, more.
If continued, without run, see ... http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators...-p/5447608

Kinds Regards.
informach.
(04-18-2016 09:00 PM)TaeML Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the reply Tim, I'll give that a try and hopefully it gets fixed.

One other thing you can try. There is a factory test menu you get into by pressing and holding the 3 keys with the alpha letters C-F-O on them during a pin-reset. Once you are in there, click the 8 key to start the "TP FW Refresh". It will take 20-30 seconds or so potentially, and then you will be back in the menu.

The press 3 for F/A test. Then in that menu, press 4 for "Tablet". You will go into a blank screen. Drag your finger around and see if you get a line drawn. Press enter to move through the tests. Eventyally, you'll be done.

If it now seems to be working properly, and you get lines/movement during the test then your calcualtor will probably work once rebooted. In the main menu, press 9 for RESET and you'll boot again.

Once started back up, does your screen work again? If so, do the update and it will probably be ok. If it behaved properly but did not after the update, do that "TP FW Refresh" once more and then boot up again.

I am suspicious that your touch panel firmware did not update itself properly after you did the calculator. It should be automatic, but might have not run.
Hey Tim,

I did all the steps but no luck, I think I might have to contact support and if that doesn't help go to Best Buy and get a replacement since I have a 1 year warranty.

One thing I noticed when I did "TP FW Refresh" is that it took around 4 seconds and not 20~30 seconds.

Is that normal?
Please send me a private message. We probably want to get this unit back to examine what might have happened with it.
I have the same problem. I tried all the resets listed here and elsewhere and no fix. I just bought this calculator yesterday. Connected to connectivity kit today, and an error message said it cannot transfer files until the firmware is updated. Backed up and updated, but no touch screen now.

Restore will not work either. The touch screen functionality is not restored, nor is the data that was so important to me placed back on the device (spreadsheets are restored as Function Apps?).

What should I do?

Edit: The buttons all work fine, and my matrices are still intact. The touch screen is not responsive, the Apps are jumbled (as stated above), and I cannot transfer files to the hp envy.
Ok, I found where the firmware upgrade was removed from the FTP site, so I should reset to factory default. No problem, but I want to copy my data to the computer first. Since the touch screen doesn't work, I cannot use the send command. Also, the connectivity kit will not allow transferring files (throws an error).

I tried to reassign a button to a custom function ("SEND"), but apparently it doesn't work that way. Maybe there is something I am missing, but the prime just copies the returned text to the control line. I also had the idea that I could write a program on the emulator to send a matrix to a connected prime, but there is no "SEND" program command in HP PPL that I can find. Is there an internal name for the "SEND" soft button? If so, that would be perfect.

Bottom line, I just need a way to transfer data from a broken HP Prime to an emulator or computer. The only stipulations I know of are no touchscreen and no connectivity kit.

Thanks.
(06-22-2016 11:32 PM)Maestro Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I found where the firmware upgrade was removed from the FTP site, so I should reset to factory default. No problem, but I want to copy my data to the computer first. Since the touch screen doesn't work, I cannot use the send command. Also, the connectivity kit will not allow transferring files (throws an error).

There is something to try first. Turn your calculator off. Once it is off, hold down the three keys with the alpha C F and O on them. That is the key with the blue "units", the x^y, and the comma key. With those 3 keys held down, click ON. You should now be in the "EA656 DIAGNOSTIC" screen. Press 8 on the keyboard and it should go into the "Touch Panel FW Code Refresh" screen. After about 10-15 seconds, it should say "TP Code is OK". If it says that immediately (<1sec or so), then it may not have worked.

If it took 10-15 secs or so, I suspect the touch panel screen is working again. Reboot by pressing 9 for the "Reset" and you will boot.
Thanks for your response, Tim. I had already tried CFO|F/A TEST|TABLET and CFO|FLS Utility|Format Disk C with a subsequent RESET with no luck. CFO|TP FW Refresh was a longshot and did not work either (< 1 sec to "TP Code is OK").

I did rollback my connectivity kit version and got the Prime to transfer files, so all my data is safe, now just need to reset the Prime to factory conditions. Is there an easy way to do that? I tried deleting the HP Connectivity Kit\Firmware and \Temp folders and doing a SYMB-reset pin recovery mode firmware update, but the touch screen still does not work.

Sorry for my terse first message. I do a lot of FORTRAN programming at work and the SQL server installation got messed up, so now my database integration scripts that relate the two have started crashing. It is probably a bug in the database software, but IT thinks it might have been them! Anyway, I am a little frustrated with software right now, but I know this calculator problem is not your fault.

EDIT: Well, now I see the CK is 10077 and the physical Prime is v8151, so maybe that is why the recovery mode is not working? I didn't realize a v8151 Prime would communicate with 10077 CK, but maybe I shouldn't have been surprised.
I am going to leave the battery out for the better part of tonight to give it one last-ditch try.
If I could duplicate the functionality of the device without the touchscreen, I would probably be OK. I get tired of fingerprints on the screen anyway, so I could do with just physical buttons. However, I do not believe I can program or use many of the Apps without access to the soft buttons (that I am aware of), so I guess I have to exchange this broken unit at Best Buy. If anyone knows how to duplicate the soft buttons with physical key presses, please let me know before I take it in (in about 5 hours).
(06-24-2016 12:36 PM)Maestro Wrote: [ -> ]If I could duplicate the functionality of the device without the touchscreen, I would probably be OK. I get tired of fingerprints on the screen anyway, so I could do with just physical buttons. However, I do not believe I can program or use many of the Apps without access to the soft buttons (that I am aware of), so I guess I have to exchange this broken unit at Best Buy. If anyone knows how to duplicate the soft buttons with physical key presses, please let me know before I take it in (in about 5 hours).

Outside of typing the commands, I just can't see a way to duplicate the soft keys. Sad

Hopefully you were able to exchange calculators without problems.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's